Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/25/19 12:30 p.m.

So i built this one for the challenge car. 99 miata, bolt in 4 point. 1.5 diameter tubing, scca legal.

It doesn't fit a soft top. Well, it fits, but doesn't allow the top to function. Fouls on the b pillar hinges. 

However, it clears a hardtop perfectly. 

It does require trimming the drivers side seatbelt tower to clear the bent section. That section really gives more driver room though.

What i would LOVE to do is a straight trade for a bolt in 4 point bar that works with a functional soft top. Like the ace i had, or a blackbird, or.....

Im in no hurry. Id actually prefer to do the trade at the challenge if possible, but sooner is ok as well. Ill even throw in the tan shelf carpet thats already cut, and side panels for yours if theure tan and cut for yoir bar.

As i am doing this from my phone, only one picture. But i have a bunch to link to when i get to a real computer. 

Im near Charlotte nc. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 8:11 a.m.

Depending on outright price I could be interested at the challenge. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/19 9:02 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I hadn't given much thought to an outright cash price. Have to think about it ....

Still irritated that i put that much time and money and effort into a roll bar that doesn't clear a sift top.....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/26/19 9:09 a.m.

Don't feel bad about building something well to a particular ruleset/idea. You did good work. Be proud of that. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/19 10:34 a.m.

Don't get me wrong I love this roll bar and how ornate it is. If I could figure out a way to make it clear a soft top that functioned I would do that in a heartbeat

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/26/19 10:46 a.m.

Perhaps you could adapt a Pontiac Aztek tent somehow? laugh I kid, I kid...

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

You have given me an idea....

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 12:51 p.m.

Same engine, same soft-top. The GM parts-bin Miata.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/26/19 1:04 p.m.

Would a "bikini" style top meet your soft-top needs?  Keep the hard top for real weather and keep the bar you like?  Also, any chance it would fit with more form fitted padding?  No trying to ruin things for AWSX, but I can see wanting to hold on to that bar if you can.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/26/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I think he’s sold off the hardtop, so he needs something to be able to keep the car outside?

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/19 2:29 p.m.

Never had my own hardtop. Just a borrowed one. And i HAD planned the treasure coast one, but what i really want to own is a car with a functional soft top. The bikini is an option, and a valid one, but not an all weather/outside storage one. 

The top frame has two hockey stick looking brackets around the b pillar that hit the bar. Im going to try unbolting them, and see if the top clears and still works. However, im not hopeful. 

Its a beautiful piece of equipment. But....

Dusterbd13-michael
7/27/19 2:17 p.m.

Didn't work.

Awsx: what kind of price you thinking? For a data point for me, and an opening salvo for the rest of the crew.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/19 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

~$300 would be a no brainer for me. It might be worth more than that. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/29/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

You have mail 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ceMe2R9U4GniOgAjyaFnbvqntSkXG5sDlYUycCo7VBz3YVEr4C4Phx2Z8T7ojgJ1