Armitage
Armitage Dork
8/13/19 7:29 a.m.
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 7:33 a.m.

That's a pretty good price for one and cheaper than Costco's price for the 5000lbs model.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 7:42 a.m.

That's ideal for my space/needs. I have to put some money aside one of these days. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/19 8:21 a.m.

Dang. I've already been given this year's Christmas present. Otherwise I could use that.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 10:19 a.m.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 10:20 a.m.

I can't believe those things are that expensive.

On a semi related note, I may be putting my gently used MaxJax up for sale, if I can get the four post lift sales guy to return my calls.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/19 11:30 a.m.

I sent the link to my boss. He texted back 10 min later that he ordered it.  I said I was sorry for being an enabler.  

RedGT
RedGT Dork
8/13/19 2:22 p.m.
Woody said:

I can't believe those things are that expensive.

They are simple but robustly built, and have no direct competition.  Everything else either costs more, requires bolting to concrete, obscures the center of the car or....well that's it.  What else is there?

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/19 3:10 p.m.
Stefan said:

The 5000lb version is also on sale.  $1025.00

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJack-BL-5000SLX-5-000-lbs-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift-BL-5000SLX-AC-110v/307393222

I "accidently" sent that link to my wife. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/13/19 8:18 p.m.
Stefan said:

The 5000lb version is also on sale.  $1025.00

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJack-BL-5000SLX-5-000-lbs-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift-BL-5000SLX-AC-110v/307393222

Strange.  In with the pictures for the 5,000 lb version is a video where they stack 20,000 lb on the unit.  Sort of seems to imply no need to buy the 7,000 lb unit.  

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/16/19 11:56 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Yeah, but a 6600lb scissor lift goes higher, faster for not too much more money with 0 setup. Plus the obscured center is overblown, short of a transmission removal I've done everything including exhaust work and engine removal on a RWD car, FWD cars you could do literally anything, including drop the transmission from the front the way I do the rwd diff/engines on it (44 seconds in exocet heart removal) And for the transmission removal I'd want it much higher than the quickjacks go (I jack it way up, wheels on, and use 2x4 wheel blocks that I stack like legos, the only time I wish for a 2 post, but 2 posts are obnoxious to work around the sides - scissors take no more room than the car).... I get it that it's not the best, but for 9.999/10 cases it's better/safer/lifts higher. I guess they take up more room, but I just park over mine.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/got-a-scissor-lift/145297/page1/

I would consider having it for super light duty things, but not at that price. Yeesh. I've seen them used on MightCar mods frequently, and they really don't lift very high. They don't go high enough to lift either of the stock height trucks i've had in my life (excursion/dodge2500), or any lightly/heavily lifted pickups,

Armitage
Armitage Dork
8/16/19 12:03 p.m.

With the 12V unit you can take the Quick Jack to the track with you. Might want the "lighter" 5000lb model for that though.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/16/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Armitage :

That's the best use case I've heard, but that's still pretty pricey. There are a few "track side garages" that frequent RA/AMP and if I were them I'd probably invest. They're always sweating it out and using low profile jacks - the pavement in the padocks is always extra grabby too (the jack rollers don't always ... roll), so it never looks particularly safe. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 12:36 p.m.

I've been using a QJ for years. They're very useful. I take it with me to the track every single time, and I go to a bunch of different tracks. It's easy to toss in the bed of the truck and I use a spare battery to run it. My car is up in the air between every session. We use them for R&D at FM at well. Much faster to use than a jack and jackstands especially on a low race car.

I do have a two post at home, but I had the QJ for years before I got to that point.

A QJ at max height is a LOT more stable than a set of jackstands at the same height. And I've done trans swaps on jack stands without extra spacers, so the extra height of the QJ would be a bonus there. Keep in mind that there are two lock positions, so if you've seen them being used on YouTube videos they may not be using the tall position. This picture is of the old 3500, the heavier units are taller.

If you want to lift a truck, they have extensions for that.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/16/19 12:38 p.m.

I got mine last year, great on the low profile Corvettes and super convenient for just getting a car in the air quick while still being stable.  I dropped the transmission on the Z06 with it and I'm that much more likely to just toss a car in the air to look at something bothering me.  I honestly wish I had bought it a long time ago.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/16/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Track side, I agree, they sound great (see my other reply, I've seen some questionable looking track side scenarios). Home base I'd still argue their value is greatly diminished in comparison to the nicer scissor lifts that are not much more money for so much more versatility/lift height/etc. That's a lot of money to only go that high. Even with a super narrow garage I'd be squinting pretty hard at the scissor lift since you can park on top.

This isn't at max height because of my relatively short garage.

Keith Tanner
8/16/19 3:33 p.m.

The last thing I did in my home shop was a transmission change on a Miata - so the QJ would have been the preferred option over a scissor :) Next thing I have to do is rinse a bunch of Bonneville salt out of a couple of Miatas. I can't do that in my shop, no water. So I'll carry the QJ up to the house, lift the car in the driveway and hose it down.

I guess it's one of those things where a scissor is the worst of all worlds - the non-portability of a permanent lift without the access - or the best. Depends on what you need to do! If I was to go as far as a scissor, I'd go all the way to a two-poster. A QJ is more of a superior option to jackstands than a lift alternative. I haven't regretted the money I spent once.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/16/19 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

We'll have to agree to disagree! Keep in mind a two post is not feasible in many residential settings (limited garage width/height/drilling/etc), infinite space (or money), sure. I did a ton of research before I landed where I did (detailed in the other thread), and also haven't regretted the money spent or choice either.

Will
Will UltraDork
8/16/19 6:48 p.m.

I ended up buying one of these. We'll see how it turns out.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
8/20/19 3:06 p.m.

How would this do on a gravel lot, throw some solid ply wood under it or just a bad idea? I hate having to jack up the front of a car, get javk stands under it then do the rear if I’m doing something that requires me to be under it. I just replaced the cat on my wife’s old car and this would have made my life way easier as I’m not a small guy. 

Keith Tanner
8/20/19 3:12 p.m.

It's more surface area than jackstands, so a couple of big pieces of plywood would probably do the trick.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
8/20/19 3:23 p.m.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks. Now to think if I want to pick up this or a log splitter 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 4:35 p.m.

Speaking of QuickJacks and discounts, looks like Costco has the 5k lbs version for sale again, at a buck under a grand: https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2c000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html

engiekev
engiekev Reader
9/12/19 2:06 p.m.

Also looks like they have them at stores now too for $899, very tempting!

https://www.quickjack.com/costco.html

TJL
TJL Reader
9/12/19 5:13 p.m.

The 7000slx i think it is is still on sale at homedepot.com. Ive been successful in not ordering one yet, but its going to happen before my next major automotive project. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GijeYCrqJXq92fIs4xtB2vpbNdscY2BN9ekeLNiE7FXbl9ZshyqIJjaEC97FHid4