Cooter
Cooter UberDork
8/15/20 8:39 a.m.

Get your late '70s-Mid '80s freak on with this set of 5 (five) Turbine/Hurricane wheels.   They were on a dual axle boat trailer, and probably weren't used in anger.  Tires are 9.50x16.5 bias ply, but they are likely only good for rollers at this point.  I'm guestimeasuring  the wheels would be 9-9.75" wide.   Use them on your custom van, monster truck, or TRAR.  I was gong to use them on  my D2Crew '78 Dodge D200 Crew Cab, but I found a set of slots and will likely go that direction.  Plus, I probably have at least 10 sets of 5 on 5.5 and 8 on 6.5" wheels, and countless automotive custom wheels.   

Located in Oak Lawn, Illinois, somewhat conveniently located off of I-294 just SW of Chicago (no, you won't get shanked, unless you ask nicely)    $300 for GRMers.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 10:47 a.m.

I think those would look great on my K30 with it's Hummer take off tires.  Not sure I want to drive that far to get them.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
8/15/20 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

There's always the GRM Express.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/15/20 2:45 p.m.

Come pick up these rims and grab my bubble butt while you're up here.

Stampie (FS)
8/15/20 3:29 p.m.
Cooter said:

There's always the GRM Express.

I'm thinking about that just not sure on something that big.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I'm more of an engine and wheel guy than a big butt guy.

Stampie (FS)
8/15/20 3:41 p.m.

Got a backspacing or offset on them?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
8/20/20 10:35 a.m.

Sorry, finally got to them.

Backspacing is about 5" to the outside back edge of the wheel.   (About 4 3/4" to the front edge)

Stampie (FS)
8/23/20 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Sorry just saw your reply in the square body suburban thread and realized I had forgotten to check back on these.  I'm officially putting myself on spending restriction until I figure out something.  Good luck with the sale and wish I could grab them.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 9:25 a.m.

If you have a change of heart stampie before the challenge let me know. I can probably make something work to bring em down. 

Though if the tires were removed first that would help a lot space-wise.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
8/30/20 10:31 a.m.

Bump it up.

Would like to free up a bit of space now that I'm Jonesing for a set of Chandler's wheels.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/21/20 5:46 p.m.

Topper

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 7:37 p.m.

If I remember correctly, turbine wheels were required by law on a custom van in the early 80's! But 16.5's are not a good option these days. I do have a trailer they would be great on, and there are some HD 9.5 tires on the local craigs, but I would need 6 of 'em. Not a fan of triple axle trailers, but its the only one I own that will haul my backhoe.

Stampie (FS)
9/21/20 8:33 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

They are a great option if you want HUMVEE take off 35's.  I can get the tires here locally for $100 each in like brand new condition.  These are haunting me as they are so much cooler than the steelies I have now.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/21/20 9:06 p.m.

I hear tell that there's a huge trailer heading from somewhere in Michigan to the Challenge that may have some room in it...

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 10:11 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

They are a great option if you want HUMVEE take off 35's.  I can get the tires here locally for $100 each in like brand new condition.  These are haunting me as they are so much cooler than the steelies I have now.

The popular 16.5’s were the 37’s... but there are so many better options in huge tires today that I think most folks have moved on! The 37’s were such meh tires. Mediocre in the mud, horrible on the road...

Look into the widths. Good width for a trailer tire, but (I think) narrow for a mudder. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 10:12 p.m.

But you know all that... was just for the folks reading along!!!

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
10/3/20 9:10 a.m.

I've always run narrow tires and never had an issue in the mud.   In fact, my M715 on 38.5x11.00 Boggers has won a few mud bogs during its time, and my Wrangler in my avatar cut the trails out at The Cliffs ORP out here on Q78 Swampers.

BTW, bump.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/3/20 4:46 p.m.
Cooter said:

I've always run narrow tires and never had an issue in the mud.   In fact, my M715 on 38.5x11.00 Boggers has won a few mud bogs during its time, and my Wrangler in my avatar cut the trails out at The Cliffs ORP out here on Q78 Swampers.

BTW, bump.

I was only referring to the tire width vs rim width. I'm sorry if my post did ot explain that well. For example, I would not want to mount 38.5x11.00 on a 6" wide rim. Just for an extreme example. Also that as mudder size tires have become more available, the surplus tires are not as good a deal as they once were. I was not being negative towards you or anything you have done. I apologise if a thing I said was taken wrong. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/26/21 8:29 a.m.

SOLD

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w9YV2N23ywuKIJiprvWR9Pg0KfSFhdKD8TWOJeeicHQWkg2vIbANymWaLCm8Gv9r