1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/20 7:26 a.m.

I have a strong preference for a complete running car, and would prefer a RWD manual trans car in the Southeast. But I will consider engine only at the right price. 

Anyone have any leads or links?

Thanks!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 7:41 a.m.

What rwd manual trans cars came with the 1.8t? I assume you are looking for the Volkswagen engine?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/17/20 7:43 a.m.

Do you mean a longitudinal transaxle versus a transverse?

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
3/17/20 7:57 a.m.

Look for B5 Audi A4 and VW Passat, Mid 90s to early 2000s.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/20 2:43 p.m.
EvanB said:

What rwd manual trans cars came with the 1.8t? I assume you are looking for the Volkswagen engine?

The Passat.

That's why I'm not locked into that.  Narrows the field too much. 

If I'm ok with FWD, there are lots of VW offerings. If I'm ok with AWD, plenty of Audi's (and some of them have higher output engines)

But if  I find a Passat donor, I get the trans too. 

Don't get hung up on the RWD. Let's find a 1.8T donor. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/20 2:49 p.m.
RossD said:

Do you mean a longitudinal transaxle versus a transverse?

Are you suggesting a mid engine car with the 1.8T?  Or an AWD longitudal transaxle?

The Passat has a transmission and a differential. 

Again, the engine is what matters. That's why it's in the title. 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
3/17/20 4:10 p.m.

You free up a few square feet and look what happens.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/20 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro :

Ha!

Didn't free anything. That car never left my trailer the entire time I owned it!

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
3/17/20 5:14 p.m.

Once you find your donor, if you end up with broken bits, I might be able to help from my parts stash. I have a later model block and head than the Passat years you are looking at, but could still be useful. I would also like to use early 1.8t bits, if I use any. 

Don't forget to look at Audi in the same year range. 

What makes you want an early one? My excuse is parts logistics, though I would still want to work out forged crank.  The early 1.8t motors had cast crank and intermediate shaft for the oil pump, unless my info is wrong.

I can't help with harness, but I have short bits and manifolds.

Matthew

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/20 8:20 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Early one?  Don't really care what year (or know enough to know the difference).

Do you mean as opposed to a 2.0T?  That's mostly because of simplicity.

I'm here to learn- all recommendations welcome!

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/17/20 10:31 p.m.

Early 1.8t engine code was AEB.  There are plusses and minuses.  It was cable throttle, so it's easier to adapt if you want to retain the stock engine management. If you do keep the stock management, I think the tuning options are more limited than later motors.  Power was a little lower than later motors, but nothing that can't be recovered with turbo change and tuning.

I believe water pumps drives changed over the course of the engine (timing belt driven vs serp belt I think).  I recall the early motors having bigger intake ports too.

Good luck in the search.

I don't think you want any of the 2.0T motors. They can make great power, but are all direct injected and I image hell to swap into something non-stock.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
3/17/20 10:44 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

The early Passats (longitudinal) and I think Audi's of the same vintage had interim blocks and big port heads, larger wrist pins and cast cranks.  The block is like an older block but plumbed for the 20v head.  I believe these use G60/TDI style engine mounts (useful to me), the old style oil pan (useful to me), old style oil pump (don't really care), and external water pump (I can still deal with).  The big port is nice in theory, but the smaller port heads are usually able to be tuned to more power.  The 225HP factory motors used small port heads.

Later blocks (still 1.8) had internal water pumps, chain drive oil pumps (in the sump), new mount locations, forged cranks, smaller wrist pins (except the 225 HP models).  Later is far more plentiful; if you don't care, I would go for common.  Audi's will still give the layout you want and be available for parts far more often.

I want an old one because I think I can change to a forged crank on the cheap, I have engine mounts, would change to electric water pump, and I have a dry sump pan that should fit. I learned all of those things after buying a later block.

Matthew

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
3/17/20 11:39 p.m.

For tuning, if you want to stay with a stock ecu, take a look at Nefmoto and TunerPro :

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6537.0title=

http://www.markmansur.com/downloadApp.htm

Info: https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

I have not done any tuning, just some simple re-flashes  and immobilizer deletes. On that level it's pretty simple. For tuning, ymmv.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/19/20 12:47 p.m.

Tangentially related but I have a spare transmission for a 2000 Passat (FWD V6 but I'm pretty sure the trans are the same) 5-speed manual.  If you ever want it/need it, I paid $50 for it and have no use for the thing since the car is long gone.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/19/20 1:14 p.m.
SVreX said:

I have a strong preference for a complete running car, and would prefer a RWD manual trans car in the Southeast. But I will consider engine only at the right price. 

Anyone have any leads or links?

Thanks!

As far as I know, there are no rear wheel drive 1.8t Audi or VW that came from VAG. There are two different version of transaxles. One goes transverse like typical front wheel drive, and one is longitudinal transaxle like an old air cooled VWs and modern Subarus. There are a few VW Passats that are only front wheel drive with the longitudinal transaxle with Manual transmission. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/19/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Ok. 

Still looking for a running 1.8T donor car. NOT a transmission or transaxle. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/24/20 1:18 p.m.

I'm bumping this. 

I also realized my error. I was thinking the Passat was RWD. So, forget that part. 

I'd prefer a longitudally mounted manual FWD. 

But I will take what I can get. 

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/24/20 8:27 p.m.

Look at cl where your located. You can find longitued engine passats all day long for $500 or less running. The auto tranny goes out and they aren't worth fixing. Take up Mat on the manual trans and there you go. The pilot bearing needs to be replaced if you go from a auto to a manual. Heres a example from here locally. Seattle area.

◀ prev  next ▶

favorite

hide

flag

Posted 

print

*2002 VW Passat*222K*Runs*Drive*Oil Pan Leaks*CV Click In Corners*$400 - $400 (South Seattle)

image 4 of 6

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

make / manufacturer: Volkswagen
model name / number: 2002 Volkswagen Passat

2002 VW Passat
Runs & Drives Good
4 Cylinder Engine(Good Shape)
Automatic Transmission(Good)
Loaded Leather interior
222,000 Miles
**Oil Pan Leaks Slowly Now Because Of A Large Hole Caused By A Tow Truck And I Patched It Up With An Epoxy But Still Has A Slow Oil Leak. The Oil Pan Needs To Be Replaced For A Permanent Fix**
**Brake Pads Are Almost Worn**
**CV Axle Clicks When Cornering**
Tabs Expired
Clean Title In Hand
$400 Or Best offer
Thank You

2002 VW Passat
Runs & Drives Good
4 Cylinder Engine(Good Shape)
Automatic Transmission(Good)
Loaded Leather interior
222,000 Miles
**Oil Pan Leaks Slowly Now Because Of A Large Hole Caused By A Tow Truck And I Patched It Up With An Epoxy But Still Has A Slow Oil Leak. The Oil Pan Needs To Be Replaced For A Permanent Fix**
**Brake Pads Are Almost Worn**
**CV Axle Clicks When Cornering**
Tabs Expired
Clean Title In Hand
$400 Or Best offer
Thank You
PLEASE TEXT THANK YOU
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/24/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to brad131a4 :

Thanks. 

Been watching CL in 3 separate metro areas (including ATL) for about 3 months. Haven't found any that low. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/20 9:45 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I've seen these at the local tow auctions pretty cheap.  Trans goes out so owner abandons it.  Problem is no key.  

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/25/20 9:52 a.m.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/25/20 2:24 p.m.

I'm not doubting you guys, but NONE of those examples have a 1.8T. 

All of the links posted by brad131a4 are non-turbo versions, and dherr, one of those is a V6.  The other is a 1.8T, but it has a blown motor. 

Those won't help. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/25/20 7:56 p.m.

I'm surprised they're so hard to find down there.  The wrecker up by me in Mass had several to choose from.

Are longitudinal Saabs more available?

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
3/26/20 1:45 p.m.

If shipping wasn't so costly I have access to a couple 1.8t for $500 or less. Sorry I hadn't looked that close at the car it was assumed it was a 1.8t by being a 4cylinder.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/20 8:34 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tc1yfRJknyPcT6iOioSW2tHKzqCqLL19Wl93te89lCb29LPXwnHylhzGOSmzM87e