1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 6:09 a.m.

You know, the one that's been under your workbench for 20+ years waiting for the perfect project that still hasn't come along! cheeky

I'd like an M22 Rockcrusher, but might do an M20 or M21.

If you are looking for an auto, I have possible trades.

Watcha got??

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/19 7:27 a.m.

I’ll check my uncle’s stash, he had some m20 or m21’s and was going to change his truck over to automatic because of knee issues. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/16/19 7:34 a.m.

So, I just went to Detroit Craigslist and found two, $1800 and $2500 ! What's so special about obsolete 4 speeds?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/16/19 7:44 a.m.
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/19 7:45 a.m.

Check the various classifieds up in Charlotte.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 7:49 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

So, I just went to Detroit Craigslist and found two, $1800 and $2500 ! What's so special about obsolete 4 speeds?

Obsolete cars. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/16/19 3:18 p.m.

I was stumbling over 4 speeds left and right at the Macomb fairgrounds swap meet last spring. Not sure of the exact models and prices but there were a lot of them. Guess everyone wants over drive.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

Honestly, I want it too. But I am considering several options. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/16/19 5:03 p.m.

I Know a Guy,

He''s Got 'em all,  But High Price,  Like 8 to 12 Hundred, My Buddy Lance ( the 55 Gasser ) has some too when you get ready I can Ask he has some that May be apart or need work . I Have a Super T-10  From a 76 T/A I sold for another Friend,  Not Really looking to sell as it's like Money In the Bank, But there is No Money In the Bank   soooo,

P S It's worth more than a Muncie, But for you My Friend.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/16/19 5:43 p.m.

Came here to say I have a ST-10 as well, 70's T/A. For sale.

Someone beat me to it.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/16/19 5:54 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Someone beat me to it.

ask anybody,    I'm a Nobody

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/16/19 6:15 p.m.

I remember when guys had rebuilt ones in their basements ready to sell for $300.  

Of course this was the late 80’s.  I go to Muncie, IN for work a lot and think about rock crusher trannys on the 4 hour drive.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Maybe you should get a radio or something! cheeky

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/19 8:22 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

50 year old desirable transmissions, that's why.

They also weren't exactly bulletproof, so there's also 50 years of attrition at play.  I did get some personal experience in this - had to swap out an M21 in a big block Chevelle that shattered its countershaft. 

(Got to drive it afterwards.  The car that made me hate manual transmissions with large engines.   The gears were just too dang close for smooth driving, unless you got extremely aggressive with the shifter so you could get it in the next gear before it dropped to idle, which is not conducive to transmission life, so I didn't.  It's weird having to throttle blip to rev match an UPshift!)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 8:44 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Someone beat me to it.

Canada is far away!

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/16/19 8:45 p.m.

Numbers matching.

If you need the correctly coded transmission for your restoration, it'll cost.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/19 9:09 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Numbers matching what?

My car didn't originally have an ST-10.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/16/19 9:48 p.m.

Deadskunk was asking "why old 4-speed so expensive" if someone is looking for the "correct" transmission, then they get expensive.

I live in Canada but I have an address in Washington State. Shipping is the same as it would be in 'murica.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/19 7:01 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Got it. I thought you were responding to me. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/17/19 7:36 a.m.
SVreX said:
DeadSkunk said:

Obsolete cars. 

And strong, like bull. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/19 10:04 a.m.
Knurled. said:
DeadSkunk said:

50 year old desirable transmissions, that's why.

They also weren't exactly bulletproof, so there's also 50 years of attrition at play.  I did get some personal experience in this - had to swap out an M21 in a big block Chevelle that shattered its countershaft. 

(Got to drive it afterwards.  The car that made me hate manual transmissions with large engines.   The gears were just too dang close for smooth driving, unless you got extremely aggressive with the shifter so you could get it in the next gear before it dropped to idle, which is not conducive to transmission life, so I didn't.  It's weird having to throttle blip to rev match an UPshift!)

YES!! Some cars are actually better with autos. Weird.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
1/17/19 10:36 a.m.

Not exactly cheap, but for some of the prices I've been seeing for used Muncies, maybe consider a brand new AutoGear "Syracuse" (Muncie) trans?

AutoGear - Motorsports

We run the M23 Severe Duty with a Long/G-Force shifter in American Sedan and it's been bulletproof.  Since I only live an hour away, I even got to drive over to Syracuse and watch my transmission get built, from a bare case to the stamped serial number.  For less money than those Detroit CL examples, you could have a completely brand new transmission that is stronger than an original M22.

The Super T10 was previously the go-to transmission in our class, but when Richmond starting sourcing replacement gears in China, rebuilds started to grenade early and frequently.  If you get a box with original gears, it's not an issue, and I've heard anecdotally that the flawed gear issue may have worked itself out.

No affiliation with AutoGear outside of being a satisfied customer.  Either way, best of luck!

onplanners
onplanners None
1/17/19 11:13 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

$1000 ones....https://lansing.craigslist.org/pts/d/mattawan-muncie-transmission/6767752397.html

1000$ ???/ 

Its too expensive man!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/17/19 11:53 a.m.
onplanners said:
DeadSkunk said:

$1000 ones....https://lansing.craigslist.org/pts/d/mattawan-muncie-transmission/6767752397.html

1000$ ???/ 

Its too expensive man!

Well Then Whatca Got and how much..  I don't Guess you Looked at what a Performance auto Cost.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer :

You’re right. At the current used prices, the new AutoGear Syracuse is certainly worth a look. 

Thanks for the info. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1fORJrsd9s5xdGVIMi3YbJ8dgoanrNgDn6Qjur5QUTell3VB7BvNzOrAson4cNZk