stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/20 7:48 p.m.

Within a short-ish drive from SW Ohio. 

My newest project has a bad third gear...(and I'm thinking about a possible rebuild, but thought I'd check for another one first).

Thanks.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
1/4/21 8:37 a.m.

Stan, Before you rebuild that T5 or even get another one, I would recommend against a T5. I went through so many T5's behind my 2.3 Turbo. Can't imagine trying to keep one alive more than 6 months behind a 5.0. Tried many different versions, even the "world class" & 3rd gear was usually what failed. This was @ 12 years ago. There has to be something stronger out there.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
1/5/21 10:41 a.m.

A used T5 is going to need some service at the very least. Some new bearings and bearing pre-load set. They're not hard to rebuild. A shop press helps. A HP 12 ton works fine and there are many YouTube videos that show you how to rebuild it. 

The most important thing about a T5 is to get a better shifter!

The stock shifter if shifted hard or fast will allow you to "over shift" the gears and that isn't good.

Opening up your T5 and figuring out what's wrong is going to be for the best in the long run.

A "bad" 3rd gear is what?  Grinding when you shift into it?

That's a synchro going bad and that can be replaced.  

I've done a half dozen rebuilds of T5's and unless it needs everything the cost is not that bad.

stan
1/11/21 3:03 p.m.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible (aka "I'm a cheap bastard") and the T56s and other alternatives are Spendy.

I'm looking at rebuilding even though I've never done that before. I have done enough repairs on enough cars (for enough years) that I think with youtube-help I can do it. Also afterward I will know what I have and not have to worry about what I got instead. 

Any ideas on which rebuild kit to get? I was looking at the Ford Motorsports kit @ 425. 

Thanks again!

edit: I just did my homework and checked this site and saw some people have already answered this. Any other input is -as always- appreciated. (also should probably move this to the general thread instead of the parts thread.)

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
1/12/21 11:06 p.m.

In reply to stan :

The $400 range is about what you can expect for a full rebuild kit for a T5. I've done them for less but I usually open up the trans  first and then determine what I need and then order it.

Three of the 4 major bearings are just standard wheel bearings and available anywhere auto parts are sold.

stan
1/13/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

Thanks for your input. I'll PM with more questions if that's cool with you...

F85guy
F85guy New Reader
1/27/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to mdshaw :

check out the new TKX 5 - speed rated at 600 Ft. Lbs.......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HUI2Z8o2SUiiZqnSiIly73fSWpEx0xYAkfbIg8M8FcLufEwOAqDx19wiTonIL1Ij