Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
1/21/20 12:12 p.m.

The other day I was trying to get an Miata to sit level on four Jack stands, then I realized that I don't have a set of four any longer for a number of reasons. So, do we have any brands we like or don't like?

This is for an Miata NA.

Thanks, Paul

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/21/20 12:15 p.m.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-jack-stands-34924.html been using these a long time. No issues.  Miatas, to Elise, to my trucks. 

06HHR
06HHR Dork
1/21/20 3:16 p.m.

Second on the harbor freight jack stands, i have a set of the 6-ton stands.  Solid for everything i've sat on them so far.  

stukndapast
stukndapast New Reader
1/21/20 3:28 p.m.

I hauled around a set of 6 ton stands for a while but they always seemed to be too damn tall on their lowest position for what I needed to do at the track, usually changing tires or quickly checking out something under the car.  So I bought a set of four 3-ton stands at Northern Tool and they are just right.  Smaller and easier to pack, lighter, and can get the car high enough if needed, but not have to lift it to the moon just to change the tires.  Mine are steel, but the guys pitted next to me at my last event had a set of 3 ton aluminum stands from Harbor Freight, and they were pretty slick.  I have a lift at home so I don't usually use jackstands to do serious stuff under the car, like change a transmission or something, but the extra height of the 6 ton stands would probably be useful in that situation.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/20 5:08 p.m.

I have a pair of Escos that I really like.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/20 7:03 p.m.

I have several. Big red, HF. All 3 tons, all very adequate. They do make me nervous when I have the Cummins up on them, but great for "normal" vehicles.

I also have a sheet metal set that were my Grandfathers. I only use them on VERY light stuff. Funny thing is he drove 60s Impalas. 

Anyway, go HF. for cheap.

These type that retract when you lift the handle are more convenient than the type with the pin. 

Don't forget to bend your retaining flaps in (like I did.)

Kramer
Kramer Dork
2/27/20 8:32 p.m.

This looks like a good one...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/20 9:55 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I have several. Big red, HF. All 3 tons, all very adequate. They do make me nervous when I have the Cummins up on them, but great for "normal" vehicles.

I also have a sheet metal set that were my Grandfathers. I only use them on VERY light stuff. Funny thing is he drove 60s Impalas. 

Anyway, go HF. for cheap.

These type that retract when you lift the handle are more convenient than the type with the pin. 

Don't forget to bend your retaining flaps in (like I did.)

I'm ignorant. What are the retaining flaps of which you speak?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Other side of those pictured.

See the two sides of these?  See the tab on the righthand one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-3-Ton-Jack-Stand-Pair/14560047

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 6:53 a.m.

Harbor freight are what we use, there heavy duty ones are quite good as well. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
2/28/20 7:05 a.m.

Torin Big Red are very nice  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 7:36 a.m.

I have 2 sets of the Harbor Freight aluminum stands that I use for everything except the Blunder Bus and SanFord. 

SanFord and the Blunder Bus get the 12 ton stands. 

tlema
tlema New Reader
3/3/20 5:44 a.m.

I will go with Harbor Freight.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/20 8:15 p.m.

Following up on the recommendation to bend the tabs in. Any advice on how to do this? I have a vice, I was thinking of putting a bolt or something on the end of the tab, and tightening the vice.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
3/21/20 7:59 a.m.

Should work.  Pretty sure I just used a 3/8 extension and a hammer last time.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/21/20 9:31 a.m.

Drift and a BFH works well

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L2sBwA4Wun0Q8XwuV0wttdn24wXCqKrviOFDJtcci5IxJQCuRTCepb04u05GdPac