1 2 3
LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/8/14 9:35 a.m.

I've been a little busy with my move to Georgia in early January. Finally got around to getting a TV, and picked up a new Xbox One with Forza 5 and Titanfall ($50 off the console, and included both games!). Anyway, the new "Drivatar" business is pretty cool, except for one problem: none of my awesome clean online GRM driver friends have the game so offline is basically recreating the public lobby experience. Fantastic. Anyway, you guys need to upgrade. I'm getting bored racing myself.

Also, how does one acquire unlocked layer groups? I've always just downloaded from the storefront which results in my designs being locked so I can't share them. I doubt these people are making every single logo themselves, so obviously there is a way to transfer them.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/8/14 10:18 a.m.

I got it and we've been partying it up when we get a chance. Xbox handle is the same as here.

Can't tell you about the layer groups. I make my own. They should be unlocked.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/8/14 10:27 a.m.

only way to get unlocked layer groups is someone gifting them to you or make them yourself.

a lot of times if i needed a decal, i would buy a nice one and then "trace" it to create my own decal that was unlocked. many times I was able to figure out ways to cut down the layer count of the decal too.

No XB1/FM5 here. might be a couple years till I upgrade to XB1.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/8/14 2:00 p.m.

I just downloaded everything before, and it all automatically imported (not so with new console). Since I'm starting over from scratch, I'd like to start on the right foot and not have any locked logos.

How do you "trace" them? I thought you couldn't open a logo that is locked in the editor?

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/8/14 2:01 p.m.

Oh, my tag is the same as here as well (maybe a space?). I should be on sometime this evening, either for Forza or Titanfall.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/8/14 2:02 p.m.

What he is talking about, I'm pretty sure only pertains to FM4. I haven't played around with FM5's setup to answer that for sure.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/8/14 2:26 p.m.

You may not be able to load a locked decal in the decal editor but you could scale it up large on the roof of a car and stamp it in place, then "trace" it with the other base vinyl shapes, using the letters and shapes to recreate the the same decal. which you can then group and save and it should be unlocked.

Kind of hard to describe I think.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/8/14 2:29 p.m.

I have FM5, but no XB1......

Also, you will have to start from scratch. Most of the people you see with the recreated logos are done via a hack of the xbox and a computer recreating them in a layercount equal to what you can have. I ran into this shortly after FM4 started. A friend of mine made a really awesome "Tron Legacy" themed Sagaris and once in the storefront, people were copying it exactly

My Morgan Aero's paint was duplicated at some point....that pissed me off enough to not bother doing paintjobs anymore.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/8/14 2:50 p.m.
failboat wrote: You may not be able to load a locked decal in the decal editor but you could scale it up large on the roof of a car and stamp it in place, then "trace" it with the other base vinyl shapes, using the letters and shapes to recreate the the same decal. which you can then group and save and it should be unlocked. Kind of hard to describe I think.

No, I get what you're saying. I'll need to give that a shot, but I think I'll find I don't have the patience for it. For some reason, I find I have plenty of patience for making the overall car designs, but I find it maddening to spend hours making a contingency decal.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/14 8:32 p.m.

I have both of those lol. And i'm on the same boat as you, everyone I know has those ancient systems

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/8/14 10:27 p.m.

I believe I've been battling NickF40's drivatar a bit.
LainfordExpress, take a look at my decals and let me know if you want any. I'll get them to you hopefully.

NickF40
4/8/14 10:34 p.m.

Yeah, you and I are always going at it haha

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
4/10/14 12:13 a.m.

I'm waiting for the price drop, hoping all the while that they'll boost the car count by then as well. Until then, I am content to ride the FM4 wave all the way to shore.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/10/14 5:43 a.m.

With the announcement of Long Beach as todays free track add-on, it's getting harder to resist.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/10/14 6:55 a.m.
Flyin Mikey J wrote: I'm waiting for the price drop, hoping all the while that they'll boost the car count by then as well. Until then, I am content to ride the FM4 wave all the way to shore.

I got my Xbox One for $449 ($50 off), and it included FM5 and Titanfall.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/10/14 7:00 a.m.
racerfink wrote: With the announcement of Long Beach as todays free track add-on, it's getting harder to resist.

What now? Is that only today? MUST HAVE.

Some general observations... the lack of attention to detail is still really, really annoying. For example, the Drivatar business is an improvement, but the offline experience is still ruined by wildly mismatched cars. For example, in the D-Class championship, I built a sweet '84 CRX, lightweight with sticky tires. But my competition is 90% '60s and '70s muscle cars.

So, starting in 14th, because you always start in 14th and don't have the option to qualify, you get to deal with constant brake checking in the corners and general terribleness, but now with so more more cars, they're three and four wide at every corner. And, because all of the AI is based of what other people are doing, they're taking all kinds of wack-a-doo lines and dive-bombing the crap out of you. I feel the game would be much better if they'd just force all the AI cars to be on the same tires as your cars.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/14 7:07 a.m.

In reply to LainfordExpress:

I have no problem pitting muscle in single player.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
4/10/14 9:09 a.m.

After letting the game modify my first few cars, I began to modify them as you normally would for track duty.

This made driving the cars much easier, and occasionally makes the racing more challenging since I have far less weight and much more grip, but not enough power.

Its kind of fun bringing the wrong car to a race, as its just that much more satisfying when I can podium in my stripped out Fiesta ST in a field of superior cars.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/10/14 10:03 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: After letting the game modify my first few cars, I began to modify them as you normally would for track duty. This made driving the cars much easier, and occasionally makes the racing more challenging since I have far less weight and much more grip, but not enough power. Its kind of fun bringing the wrong car to a race, as its just that much more satisfying when I can podium in my stripped out Fiesta ST in a field of superior cars.

Interesting, I've come to the conclusion I need to go the other way. I typically modify my cars as if they were going into SCCA IT, so sport tires (the race tires are just too grippy), cage, full suspension, then power to the PI limit (usually the full weight reduction is too little for the correct IT weight, which sucks, I wish they'd give an option to add ballast to cars!!!).

Anway, I've pretty much decided I need to not upgrade the tires, and make idiot horsepower cars so that the cornering speeds and braking distances will be similar to the competition. Being fast in the corners is just annoying because I seems to always catch them right at the apex, and then they brake check me or block me, kill my momentum, and should I get past, they just rocket back past me on the straight. And when they start getting three and four wide at every turn, you just can't get past without playin bumper cars.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/14 10:05 a.m.

I like the light cars, street upgrade tires, and just a little more power. Everyone has their healthy medium.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/10/14 4:36 p.m.

So, I can't get Long Beach to download. It just brings up "Purchase Options" and makes the little circling loading animation until my TV decides I'm inactive and turns the screen off.

Also, why is my marketplace forever "Coming Soon".

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
4/10/14 4:58 p.m.

Because Forza 5!

In all seriousness, I haven't a clue. There's been several updates for the 360 and Xbone that I haven't been able to access until the day after the official release. Maybe its just a Microsoft thing?

NickF40
4/10/14 9:21 p.m.

Whoa, I really need to play more haha it's been a few days

I find it annoying some races like said before where you go to overtake in a corner and you get brake checked then they're like a bat out of hell and hard to catch. Although, I am torn between Pro and Unbeatable because even though it is tough for me to gold on unbeatable, I noticed the AI driving is more "real".

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
4/11/14 10:38 a.m.

Ok, so I am a TORA Staffer, but I am mentioning this more for FM5 guys to find sanctioned racing rather than boost the site's numbers...

Currently on Sunday afternoons: TORA GT, using production GT cars upgraded to spec. http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com/f412-forum

Coming to Tuesdays: Spec Cup. http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com/f378-forum

TORA is aligned with the MSA, the BTCC sanctioning body, so expect driving standards much better than most online lobbies, and rules to be enforced.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/11/14 10:43 a.m.

For all the unscheduled players with me on your friends list (I just added two of you who were apparently "following" me, don't know how that works yet..), feel free to jump into my parties. I have been setting up some races that have lead to good ole' times. i.e. stock MINI, stock Mx5, stock Transit. Random tracks etc.

Jump on in any time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoP034lZJwyLKTagUlkTgFmvPSo3BaQbs1O3Wgp2vfZQGl68s3rEJrPM4WGPWXt5