1 2
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/14 12:15 p.m.

I would think that testing would need to be all on standard suspension settings and RH tires to have a valid comparison.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/14 3:46 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I'm guessing no time spent on tuning each car's suspension and such since that would take a long time to get through each vehicle.

Correct. No tuning on any of the cars. Just getting a baseline. No gears, aero, suspension, mods... bone stock race cars.

BradLTL
1/8/14 10:21 a.m.

I've had 1 other test driver send me his baseline time. I will use a Standard Deviation from my baseline time to create a PAX number (unless someone else has a better idea).

I've started testing and have updated the spreadsheet with my metrics. I've included my avg lap time, laps of fuel and tires, estimated number of pit stops, estimated laps in a 1.2 hour race, and a total performance score (low is better).

I've only tested 3 cars so far, but the fastest car has the worst score. That is promising for a interesting endurance race.

BradLTL
1/8/14 1:20 p.m.

2 testing drivers...

9 cars tested so far. Interesting results so far. Most interesting is that PP seem to have very little to do with actual performance.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/8/14 1:26 p.m.

I'll be able to throw my hat into the testing later this week. Don't want to touch GT6 again until the GT5 season is over. Too hard to switch back and forth and remain competitive.

BradLTL
1/10/14 8:01 a.m.

Ok, I've added times for Argo and MCarp22, and applied a PAX factor for each driver. Together we've tested 18 cars (of 49) with a pretty good variance.

What I think I've learned is that PD has done a good job balancing aspects. The faster cars, get terrible fuel mileage and require more stops. Over the course of a 1.2 hour race, I am estimating the performance difference between the cars to be ~1%. Either that or my metrics are berkeley'd up and the whole thing has been a waste of time.

Here is the link to see the testing so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtiYWdRI42fdEFLdld4MzljYUZtcTVlYlVIUFlULVE&usp=sharing

BradLTL
1/10/14 8:08 a.m.

Just to clarify that 1% number. I think the fastest car we've tested so far will finish ~38 seconds ahead of the slowest car we've tested so far. Both cars would be running completely different race pace and pit strategies.

If I am right, then this is shaping up to be a very cool race!

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/10/14 1:44 p.m.

May test some tonight. The white rows are untested correct?

BradLTL
1/10/14 1:47 p.m.

Yes. Make sure you bench mark yourself (RX7)so I can PAX your times.

If you want to try the R8 LMS ultra, I would appreciate it. I had a hard time turning consistent enough laps to get an idea of pace. It isn't an understeering pig like it was in GT5.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/14 6:35 p.m.

This sounds like a very long version of the gtr races we just did.

BradLTL
1/10/14 7:13 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: This sounds like a very long version of the gtr races we just did.

Exactly... except different cars, a different track, and substantially longer.

;)

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/12/14 2:49 a.m.

Not sure how you want me to quantify the fuel and tires. I guess I should record the fuel needed to get back to a full tank when I pit on lap 10?

BradLTL
1/12/14 9:44 a.m.

Track how many laps it takes to get to half tank, and the double it.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/12/14 10:09 p.m.

Rx7

Well a 10 lap race with standing start was total time of 25:21:683

Tires at 8 all around.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/12/14 10:15 p.m.

Btw the R8 LMS Ultra stock suspension settings make the car very unstable. Touch a paint stripe wrong, as in at all, and you spin. I tried to just drive it in a circle on flat ground and the front seems unsettled snatching and sliding unpredictably and wants to spin. It has front toe out of .30 or -0.30 toe however you think of it.

I think I will have to try it with Abs and TC aids on.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/13/14 12:18 p.m.

man I would love to get in on this. However finding the time would be difficult, the GF already hated that I took 1.5 hours on weds to play in the racing series.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/24/14 7:34 a.m.

Did this ever happen? Now that many if us are better off with cash more cars can be tested.

BradLTL
7/24/14 7:36 a.m.

It hasn't yet... I'm still very much interested in putting it together. Maybe we can schedule it for the week between normal GRM series?

e30Matt
e30Matt Reader
7/24/14 8:04 a.m.

I'd be game, assuming the timing worked out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/25/14 12:54 p.m.

Matt:

I was thinking to get this off the ground why not just get say 4 or 6 cars that are known to be competitive and then we can have at it. If the series is successful then you can expand on the cars and tweak the rules as needed to expand the field. I think this got bogged down in testing of all the cars.

BradLTL
7/25/14 8:52 p.m.

My goal was to have a very diverse field. Being an endurance race, out right pace isn't going to be the sole factor in winning. Fuel/tires will make a difference. That is why I was doing all the testing.

I guess we could just post the list of cars and see what happens.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
7/26/14 12:25 a.m.

I'm down for this!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zw2oxq33PH96vKHUrk7J9thPAdwXGUSS3bOCiwRmSJMqB3elz1N99d1ZbwXUpWnm