DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/24/19 10:14 p.m.

I travel a ton for work and am never home to play iRacing on my desktop. What's the best reasonably priced gaming laptop that can power this game. I'd use a Xbox controller for travel (yes I know, flame me). Thanks in advance

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/19 8:13 a.m.

I think I'd look for something that can handle an Occulus Rift and play in VR. Laptop screens are small. 

Disclaimer: I've never played iracing and don't know much about its hardware requirements. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
2/25/19 1:38 p.m.

I don't have laptop suggestions but they do have a whole hardware guide on their website, give that a shot?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/19 5:20 p.m.

I can help out here as I run iRacing on my work laptop. I got an Acer Aspire 7 15.6" ($1450 CAD, I don't see quite the same model in the US) back in the fall and I've been really impressed with it. You need a decent CPU and a dedicated GPU if you plan on gaming, mine has an i7-8750H (2.2GHz on battery, 3.9GHz turbo plugged in) and a 1050ti 4GB with 16GB of ram. What I like about this setup is it is basically a gaming laptop without the stupid name, RGB or that gamey look. I have built a rig at home with an Ultrawide monitor, Thrustmaster T300RS GT with shifter and the pedals mounted inverted and it works pretty great. This system isn't up to VR and you're really going to have to spend to get up to that level. Acer has similar models with a 17" screen that might be better too for your purposes.

I run the following settings (set by iRacing, haven't bothered to change them) on a 29" Ultrawide monitor (2560 x 1080 resolution, I wasn't plugged into it for this screenshot) and it runs locked in at 84fps at all tracks so far (including the new ones like Tsukuba).

I can't imagine playing this game with a controller but you can always plug one into your normal system and try it out to see if it is worth it (maybe it'll be decent with specific cars like the Skippy). Back in the day I had a handheld controller called the Ultraracer PC that wasn't too bad, it's too bad there isn't a modern equivalent that is more like an RC car remote for these games.

Adam

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/25/19 8:24 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Thanks for the input! I've tried with a controller at home and it's not as fun as a steering wheel; however, a laptop is easier to tote around than an xbox and/or a steering wheel setup lol. I have a nice PC at home to run it I just never have time when I am home if I am home haha. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szgZ9qxuFl3zZawegNAjg0qe739x8bvRbZ9LR8WHyQB3sHjLe3UTBGa4eVeyGQfV