1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/5/20 2:16 p.m.

Oh I didn't know the new event was up.  What day do they reset on?

I went to check last night also and everything was down.  I have to say, I like the driving experience in this game (aside from the brakes), but the UI/Menus could really use some work.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/5/20 4:36 p.m.

For the next two weeks Saturday at noon but I plan on rolling them out to changeover after the weekend.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/5/20 9:11 p.m.

That was fun.  I finished Stage 1 a minute ahead of Nonack because of his flat.  On stage 2 I bent the suspension geometry and the car pulled hard left and did a loop whenever I hit the brakes hard hahaha.  The last 4 or so segments were painfully slow and I just watched my lead evaporate - I finished 1.5 mins behind.  Then I think on both Stage 3 and 4 our times were less than 1s apart so I finished 30s behind overall.

It would be cool if you could view your competitors in a 'ghost' type replay, as well as see detailed segment times.  I'm definitely getting killed in some of the quick sections but often doing better in the medium/slow stuff.  As well as making dumb mistakes not listening to the course notes (which I'm sure we all do from time to time).  There is one section with a square left going through town and for some reason my brain wanted to go square right.  This happened to me in a practice session on a different stage as well.

I may have to setup my wheel again.  I'm really struggling to keep things under control on the long fast sections, over the bumps and jumps and really minor turns.  Lots of fine input is required and my brain/thumb just can't do that well enough with a controller.  Maybe I just need practice but I recall the first game working out a lot better for me with a wheel.

Edit:  I really hope some more people get in on this.  Its the first time (I think) we've had the ability to compete cross platform.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/6/20 3:13 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Awesome in glad you enjoyed it .  I'll have my runs done soon.

I also hope that the easy going and cross platform nature draws in a lot of people.  

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/7/20 8:54 a.m.

Fun stages! They did seem a little repetitive, were some of the stages repeats or very similar but with different conditions?  It was actually kinda fun to relearn the similar stages.

I was driving pretty clean until getting a flat and losing the tire on the night stage, but seemed to hold it together to the end. I do love that VW, very fun to drive in anger.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/7/20 10:42 a.m.

Yeah I'm pretty sure some were cut down sections of other stages.   When looking at the list I try to make sure all the names sound different so I'm not just picking long and short versions of the same stage.  I did that here but I guess some still overlap since these ones in particular are polish I have no idea what they actually mean or say so its a shot in the dark.   Who woulda thought that Lejno and Jezioro Lukie would be similar.. lol.

We ended up quite competitively though.   I had some issues in the first stage mostly user error.   My wheel goes 900 degrees lock to lock so I started the race with the wheel turned 360 to the left and promptly hit the timing box and got stuck on it.   After the first stage I was generally 30-40 seconds behind until the last stage.   Very fun time I look forward to next week.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/7/20 12:59 p.m.

I need to change my name, I was Detective John Kimble.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/7/20 1:40 p.m.

I'd say a 70 second spread is pretty good for a first event totalling around 20 min

Not in front of my PC right now, but do we know in advance what the next car is so we can get some practice in it?

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/7/20 3:39 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The upcoming event details will show you the icon for the class although it might be hard to differentiate.   In this case it is H2 RWD @ Monaro coming up and we just drove H2 FWD.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/8/20 6:31 a.m.

Is it possible to do one stage at a time without retiring?  I do like doing them all in a row, but sometimes life gets in the way.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/8/20 8:16 a.m.
Maniac0301 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

The upcoming event details will show you the icon for the class although it might be hard to differentiate.   In this case it is H2 RWD @ Monaro coming up and we just drove H2 FWD.

Mine does not show upcoming events.  I can't get into the details of the championship, it just shows the current one and time remaining.

engiekev said:

Is it possible to do one stage at a time without retiring?  I do like doing them all in a row, but sometimes life gets in the way.

After a stage if you hit 'continue', you can quit the game at the paddock area before the next stage.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/14/20 8:55 a.m.

I'm having a friend print up one of these, should make for more fun than using the paddles, and I really don't like the G27 H-Pattern shifter.  Bonus! You can configure 4th gear to be used as the handbrake as well, if you use the paddles for shifters.  Another one of our local guys mentioned he uses the clutch pedal for handbrake, makes a lot of sense.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3473665

I did NOT do well in the last event, crashed hard and had a neutered engine the whole rest of the championship, but I finished it. 

How does hardcore damage work?  It seemed like I could not repair on some stages, but I could at others.

Fugaku
Fugaku
1/14/20 4:12 p.m.

Count me in!

I personally like the idea of hardcore damage, but I don't actually know if I feel the difference. I've been playing the game with hardcore on, but I've still taken some hits with no noticeable handling damage that I would expect would take me out of the rally if I did in real life...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/14/20 4:33 p.m.

Hardcore just means you take more damage.  With it off you can survive more stuff.

Repair on stages vs. not is a championship config setting.  In the single player championships I've played you can only repair every other stage, so you have to live with your mistakes longer (and accumulate more of them lol).

I've noticed a lot of areas that *seem* like they would be fairly smooth if you went off... things get a little squirrely and I drop a wheel or two off the "track" and BOOM I'm on my roof, or everything is bent to berkeley.

Also it seems like the bounding box for some things a straight vertical line, so even a small softball size rock at the edge of a rock face will slap the rear bumper of the car even though it would obviously clear it.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but thats certainly what it feels like sometimes.  If there were a custom camera control in the replays I'd experiment a bit to figure it out.

I finally did an all asphalt stage.  That was nuts.  It was like driving a Mustang leaving Cars and Coffee the whole time.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/14/20 5:23 p.m.

Added in the new folks thank you all for joining.  We're up to 7 drivers now which is awesome.   I'm always willing to take requests as far as location and class.   I do keep away from any DLC locations or vehicles.

I've been monstrously busy getting ready for the next rallycross season and renovating my office/play room.   I just got my racing setup squared away.

I use my office chair and attach my wheel to the edge of my desk.   I built a stand for my Fanatec pedals and that gets attached to the desk so it doesn't move around.    I always make sure my office chairs have fold up arm rests and I remove the wheels from it so I doesn't slide around.   So far this has been a nice setup without the need for a custom stand.   

Here's my old setup:

And here's the new setup both in non racing and racing modes

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
1/14/20 9:54 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I've noticed a lot of areas that *seem* like they would be fairly smooth if you went off... things get a little squirrely and I drop a wheel or two off the "track" and BOOM I'm on my roof, or everything is bent to berkeley.

I felt like this happened a lot in DR1, but so far DR2 feels more reasonable to me.

Maniac0301 said:

I'm always willing to take requests as far as location and class.   I do keep away from any DLC locations or vehicles.

I personally like all of the RWD stuff. I'll miss the 911SC though if we're not using DLC vehicles :(. Is the M2 Comp considered DLC? I think they gave it away if you competed in some challenge.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/15/20 9:41 a.m.

My rickety setup started as all wood, then I decided to make the wheel mount out of steel tubing for rigidity and space savings. If I get motivated maybe I'll make it all steel and paint it pretty.  It slides up to the desk nicely, I just slide the monitor towards the edge and lower it a bit and it works well enough.  Having a 144hz monitor I found really helps, running 120+FPS makes for a much better experience.

I will be trying one of these out with the g27 shifter 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3473665&ved=2ahUKEwiKlJSz-IXnAhWUVs0KHaBmDv4QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1eANniIhtGs8EGAXkMMHda

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/15/20 8:09 p.m.

I managed to get ahead of all but one of you... Maniac never seems to slip up, I fell behind 10s on SS1 and just kept making little mistakes.  The Opel is super fun to drive, though.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/16/20 8:52 p.m.

Ohhh I slipped up plenty on last weeks event.   I do so love those older RWD rally cars the Ford is one of my favorites so I have a lot of time on em compartively.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/16/20 9:15 p.m.

Haha, my entire event was one long mistake.  Lots of fun though.

Who else is using a controller?  I tried the rally cross mode today and realize I couldn't hold a constant curve at all.  It was like the steering was binary.  I messed with the settings and dropped the steering deadzone to 5 and it makes a huuge difference.  I don't that it will translate to any better peformance, but at least I wont be 'sawing' the wheel back and forth in the sweepers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/17/20 7:34 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I'm using a controller, playing on a PS4.  Honestly every time I have tried a wheel it throws me off- the brain thinks we're driving, the butt expects movement, there is none, things get crashy.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/17/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I love playing with a wheel, its just cumbersome and a pain to setup.  I like that with a controller I can hop in for 1 race (~5 min) and hop right back out.  With the wheel there is a 5 min setup time on either end, OR a dedicated chunk of space needed for the setup, which I don't really want to deal with right now.  

I might try doing some minimal-ish setup like what engiekev posted.  If I can do that and slide it under my desk fairly easily it might be a good middleground.

I find it really hard to be smooth with controller inputs as I basically never play anything with a controller so my left thumb isn't used to that level of precision.  It is crazy that what would be 920deg of wheel rotation is condensed into 3/4 - 1" of thumb movement.

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
1/17/20 10:07 p.m.

Just finished the event. I was doing really well, but I had to get up and take care of some stuff between stages, and my computer fell asleep and it DNFed me for stage 3 :(

And here's my budget setup. The pedals are mounted on some PVC that is held down by my chair. Excuse my messy side desk

Nesegleh
Nesegleh New Reader
1/19/20 9:20 a.m.

Retired from the event after blowing a tire a minute into the first stage LMAO. I need more practice driving with damages on....

Here's my setup:

The TV is on an arm that you can't see.

Here's what I used to have now covered in junk:

Welded it up out of square tubing. Was awesome until I stole the sparco off it for my car.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/19/20 10:43 a.m.

Awesome setups its great to see all the home made ingenuity.   

The next championship starts tomorrow.   First week is Rally GT at Hawkes Bay.   Rally GT is.... tricky so get a couple practice runs in if you can manage.   Good luck all.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2IhNmfy3Xa3qY9O9Hoi0nFhWEwBmFF6RuGxLxJuPvXL81VRV6SA0txG0Ti2pdZlK