1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/20 7:30 p.m.

I just did the first 2 stages.  Lol, that did not go well.  I'm still "in", but wow I berkeleyed the car up bad. 

I hope you all crash :P

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/28/20 9:30 a.m.

I may have been pushing pretty hard.   This was on the 3rd stage ended up pretty lucky not hurting the car too much here.

shagles
shagles Reader
1/28/20 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Maniac0301 :

Nice job saving that.

I've started doing some practice runs and I think I'm going to like this event. FWD is taking some adjustment but I'm getting the hang of things.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/28/20 9:52 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

The Mini and the Lancia are a hoot to drive.  Just aproach way too fast.   Dab the brake and huck it in sideways.   When you no longer see the inside wall mash the throttle. 

While on two wheels I could feel through the wheel  when the car went from flipping onto its roof to heading back the other way to the wheels with that small steering adjustment I made.   I never expected to be able to feel that kind of nuance through my little old Driving Force GT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/28/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Maniac0301 :

Nice save!  My plan for this event is the Mini with the suspension cranked to full height and the final drive as long as it goes, and only lift for turns tighter than a 4.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/28/20 1:30 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Maniac0301 :

Nice save!  My plan for this event is the Mini with the suspension cranked to full height and the final drive as long as it goes, and only lift for turns tighter than a 4.

I guess I need to play with the suspension tuning a bit. I've just been hopping in the cars and driving.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/28/20 2:36 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Same here.  I might adjust the diff a click tighter or looser but even that's not very common. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/28/20 2:49 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I usually don't mess with them, but Poland is so fast and full of yumps that it helps a bit, without adjustments the Mini only goes 90mph or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/28/20 6:50 p.m.

Well that didn't go super great.  Did you guys know that you can get a flat tire by just dropping out of the sky super hard a couple dozen times?  Neither did I... it was going ok until that happened on SS3, and then again on SS4 which I finished driving on the rim.  Still fun but I don't think I'm in the running this week cheeky

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/28/20 7:23 p.m.

Sometimes you ride the line sometimes the line rides you.  I happened to catch your first run time before the other runs posted.   Saw you were up almost 10 seconds just on that first stage.  2nd stage and we were less than a second off.    Sorry to hear about the tire blowout for the rest.

Now we just need to wait a couple days for Rocketsaru and Nonack to blow past us.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/28/20 8:49 p.m.

Finished up my runs.  I was a lot closer to the pack than I thought I would be after how bad the first 2 stages were for me.  I quick-fixed everything on the car and took a fairly conservative approach after that (which is hard to do when you see how close you are).  I actually won (so far) the last 2 stages and was only 16 seconds off total, so that's an improvement for me.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/28/20 8:53 p.m.

Also, anyone notice how the names are different between web results and in-game results?

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/28/20 10:22 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yeah between GRM name, platform name, and the Codemasters site name its basically impossible to know who is who.   I am:

Maniac0301 - GRM (uhh duh)

Mute Lunatic - Codemasters name

Dead Tom - Steam Name

engiekev
engiekev Reader
1/29/20 12:05 p.m.

Friend printed a set of these, now I can use the shifter for sequential or use 4th as handbrake! 

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
2/1/20 6:02 p.m.

I was having some trouble during the shakedowns since I have almost 0 experience with the FWD cars. Manage to get it together by the time I did my timed stages. I was chasing down Czerka and almost had him at the end of stage 3 (two seconds away I think?), but then spun on stage 4, and ended with +13 seconds on him. Got too greedy I suppose.

shagles
shagles Reader
2/1/20 10:11 p.m.

Well once again I'm so far behind everyone that having to retire doesn't really matter. I did find out you can get terminal damage from driving on a wheel with no tire. That'll teach me not to take 2 spares every time. 

Sk1dmark
Sk1dmark GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/4/20 11:12 a.m.

This is awesome! I fully intend to join this up and play with you guys, just after I figure out why my computer is crashing under heavy GPU load. Trying to RMA the card with XFX, so hopefully that fixes it. Then I'll have to see how I stack up!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/5/20 8:02 p.m.

Well that suuuuucked.  I was leading the first 2 stages.  Then in the 3rd stage I shot right off the track twice.  I braked, it locked all 4 wheels, and it was unrecoverable both times.  Same issue I was describing earlier in this thread.  I'm not sure if its me (probably), or what but its so frustrating.  I get that I might be hitting the brakes too hard, but once I let back up it seems to be impossible to break out of the skid.  Infuriating.  I'm ready to smash my controller.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
2/6/20 6:33 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yeah the last stages were brutal.   I only finished because I got lucky on a roll over which does seem to happen more often than not but it still pretty scary.  I'm pretty happy with how I did as I don't normally like the AWD cars as much so I don't drive them as often.   The Lancer was a joy though really light and tossable.   To subie felt faster and more stable but wallowy.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/6/20 10:17 a.m.

Is there a good way to tune them for asphalt to get them to rotate more under power?  I tinkered with the diff a bit beforehand but didn't really have any luck.

shagles
shagles Reader
2/6/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Could try a couple things:

Make the rear diff lock quicker and the front way slower.

Up the rear tire pressure.

Up the rear swaybar stiffness.

Increase rear spring stiffness. 

All of those SHOULD make it rotate more  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/6/20 12:24 p.m.

I messed with the diffs, but probably not enough.  There didn't seem to be away to control F/R bias.

In my experience (in real life), more rear bar or rear spring does not make a car rotate better under power, they make it stiffer/looser in transitions.

shagles
shagles Reader
2/6/20 4:07 p.m.

Yeah, from the little that i've done in DR I end up sliding even on asphalt so it seems to still help some. could just be the way that I drive it though.

czerka
czerka New Reader
2/6/20 5:49 p.m.

I had a comfortable lead crossing the line on stage 2, then I took my headset off to yell at the dog and the game crashed.  Ended up with a DNF.  Way to go dog.

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
2/6/20 6:19 p.m.

So I recently got the book 'Autocross to Win', and in it Dennis mentions how he drove his Front, Center, and Rear LSD AWD car. Basically, turn in early, get on the gas, let the initial understeer take you to the line you really want, and then the diffs will load up and take you out.

I can kinda feel what he was saying in game, but also it led to me crashing at least once on every stage. Didn't end up losing too much time (for a crash). That poor Impreza...

ProDarwin said:

I messed with the diffs, but probably not enough.  There didn't seem to be away to control F/R bias.

In my experience (in real life), more rear bar or rear spring does not make a car rotate better under power, they make it stiffer/looser in transitions.

Yeah from what that author was saying, the diffs become the dominant factor in the handling in an all-LSD car. That said I found putting less camber on the rear gave me more power oversteer characteristics.

czerka said:

I had a comfortable lead crossing the line on stage 2, then I took my headset off to yell at the dog and the game crashed.  Ended up with a DNF.  Way to go dog.

You were consistently faster than me. Looks like I might run away with this event. Thanks Czerka's dog!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1lyEkBrZjgoCtAqPhhWp0LLxHHkxLTTs5FuNlk6MCO2F3YpfPtO4BiU273SM8MM