PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
1/18/15 3:00 p.m.

I'm talking dog fight space battle stuff. The last good one I remember playing is Colony Wars way back on the PS1. I know the PC has a few but honestly I prefer to play everything except strategy games on consoles. Were there any I missed during the PS3 era?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/18/15 4:57 p.m.

Are you talking Raiden type stuff? The overhead crazy amount of sprites make you have a seizure stuff? They do, but they're mostly Japanese. Check out Geometry wars.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
1/18/15 5:05 p.m.

I'm thinking more Descent, but in space. I'm not sure anything can top Einhander for shoot 'em ups.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
1/20/15 9:04 a.m.

Yeah, the golden era for those games was probably the 32-bit era, with Colony Wars, Wing Commander, Rebel Assault, etc. There have been a few since, mostly in the PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/GameCube generation. A couple of good ones that come to mind:

-Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PS2)

-Project Silpheed (Xbox 360)

-Star Trek: Invasion (PS1, built sing the Colony Wars engine)

-Starblade Alpha (PS1, EXTREMELY RARE)

-Starlancer (Dreamcast)

-Crimson Skies (Xbox)

-Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games (GameCube had a few of them)

These types of games tapered off during the last generation due to the rise of the massively multiplayer FPS games like Call of Duty.

And I am also a huge fan of shoot 'em ups too. Yes, they still make them! A lot of the newer ones are the "bullet maze" style ones like Ikaruga, Mars Matrix, etc. A lot of the ones that are out there now are "cute 'em ups" with the cutesy anime characters, which can be kind of weird, but the gameplay is still great.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/20/15 10:01 a.m.

I wonder if it has something to do with the hard core players willing to spend the money on flight controls being on the PC already. Like Elite: Dangerous (holy crap that looks cool with Oculus Rift). I also think that games have become more in depth so this genre has morphed into games like Star Citizen that are a full galaxy of flying, FPS, and such. There is more cross genre play (didn't one of the Halo games have you flying something for a mission?) than just your previous shoot em ups like Descent and others. You can run most newer games on a $500 PC. I think I have about that (or less) in my desktop and it can handle most games easily.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
1/26/15 4:41 p.m.

PS2/Xbox/PC has Star Wars starfigter series that was really fun. Pretty old now though.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/20/15 8:29 p.m.

I've just found out about "No Man's Sky". Holy crap it that look neat! A procedurally generated universe, and when they say universe, they mean universe.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/20/15 8:38 p.m.

Inner Space?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/20/15 9:13 p.m.

You can also use a console controller to pay games on the pc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
flyd0Y7w3dVshS4ECU6OZsuVFy9uRhUqyVlPOwuiwXZcfGbISQtOPlSU8Stx3RDk