1 2 3
axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
5/20/14 4:13 p.m.

All The concept and work behind this event was solely Flyin Mikey J. I was going to get into his league with another group but it got shut down for some reason, and so I was bored. Then I got motivated to take this to the next level. I have emailed Mikey for permission to use his builds and specs. I am waiting on his answer to run this as a league. I wanted to run a classic IROC event, but to be honest these cars are just so much better.

Races will be Monday nights at 9pm EST. Qualification will start at 9:15 and will be four laps, your best time counts. I would like it if everyone could leave the line in ten second intervals. That should leave plenty of space. The races will be 30 minutes, first lap will be pacer. Pits open lap three. Mandatory pit stop will be ANYTIME after ten minutes. Good racing etiquette will be practiced and all complaints will be reviewed. Points will be given for 1st (6pts) through 6th (1Pt), Pole sitter will be awarded 2pts. Cars will be randomly selected for a tech inspection, you will need to gift me you car after qualifying takes place.

The Tracks Sunset Raceway Road Course Road Atlanta Sebring Maple Valley Club Infineon Nascar Laguna Sedona Club Road America

Winner gets a prize... probably a hat.

Cars Once again these were all Flyin Mikey J's builds and they work great.

All Cars: 561PI Race: Brakes, Tire Compound, Differentials, Front and Rear Aero, Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage Sport: Springs and Dampers, Front and Rear Antiroll Bars (except Javelin is Street), Transmission

1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 436 HP, 430 Lb-Ft Torque, 3023 Lbs, 5.9L Race: Pistons, Intake Manifold, Oil and Cooling, Weight Reduction Sport: Driveline, Exhaust, Displacement, Camshaft Tires: F 255/15, R 285/15 Rims: American racing Torq Thrust M

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 449 HP, 517 Lb-Ft Torque, 3053 Lbs, 7.0L Race: Exhaust, Air Filter, Intake Manifold, Clutch, Driveline, Weight Reduction Sport: Flywheel, Pistons Tires: F 255/15, R 285/15 Rims: American Racing Torq Thrust M

1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 449 HP. 538 Lb-Ft, 3036 LBs, 7.2L Race: Valves, Displacement, Pistons, Carburetor, Exhaust, Air Filter, Intake Manifold, Weight Reduction Sport: Ignition, Flywheel, Clutch Street: Driveline Tires: F 255/15 R 285/15 Rims: American Racing Torq Thrust M

1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 402 HP, 507 Lb-Ft Torque, 3099 Lbs, 7.2L Race: Displacement, Exhaust, Air Filter, Intake Manifold, Driveline Sport: Carburetor, Ignition, Weight Reduction Street: Camshaft, Flywheel, Clutch Tires: F 235/16, R 255/16 Rims: Holeshot Sun Star

1971 AMC Javelin AMX 401 HP, 481 Lb-Ft Torque, 3012 Lbs, 7.2L Race: Displacement, Carburetor, Oil and Cooling, Weight Reduction Sport: Intake Manifold, Camshaft Street: Air Filter, rear anti roll bar. Tires: F 235/15, R 275/15 Rims: American Racing Torq Thrust M

1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 435 HP, 520 Lb-Ft Torque, 3068 Lbs, 7.0L Race: Valves, Pistons, Ignition, Exhaust, Air Filter, Intake Manifold, Weight Reduction Sport: Carburetor, Driveline Street: Flywheel Tires: F 255/15, R 285/15 Rims: American Racing Torq Thrust M

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hemi 441 HP, 508 Lb-Ft Torque, 3096 Lbs, 7.0L Race: Exhaust, Flywheel, Clutch, Driveline, Weight Reduction Sport: Air Filter Street: Hood Tires: F 235/15, R 245/15 Rims: Holeshot Sun Star

1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SD-455 449 HP, 579 Lb-Ft Torque, 3011 Lbs, 7.7L Race: Displacement, Carburetor, Exhaust, Flywheel, Clutch, Driveline, Weight Reduction Sport: Intake Manifold Street: Pistons, Air Filter Tires: F 255/15, R 285/15 Rims: American Torq Thrust M

Post your gamer tag and claim a number to secure your entry. I will run with as little as 8 entries, but I hope to get 12+.

I am taking #6. Gerry Axeman is my gamertag so go ahead and shoot me a friend request.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/21/14 12:12 a.m.

DO IT!!!

I was told after each and every round, by a group of mainly FWD hatch loving Brits mind you, that this was the most fun racing anyone ever had done. I am certain that the GRMers I have encountered would end up saying the same thing.

Sorry for letting you down Gerry, but an increased workload, on top of being promoted to Staff at TORA, meant I had to adjust my priorities. There's been increasing chatter about racing something on Fridays (12N PDT/3P EDT) but that would still be some weeks away.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/21/14 12:38 a.m.

I can add: these cars/builds were thoroughly tested within my Allied Forces team. We achieved parity to a point that each of us entered six different cars for the series.

Hope to at least make a round of this, maybe in something other than a Parnelli Jones' Boss Mustang this time.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
5/21/14 8:10 p.m.

This is a go then. And I think Tues nights at 9pm will be better after some feedback.

Build one of these beasts and then join up. They are a blast!

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/21/14 8:33 p.m.

I think that all of the builds, with a baseline tune, are still on my Storefront free of charge.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
5/22/14 6:58 a.m.

Tuesday nights are tough but I'll join when I can. I'll claim #42, ChrispyNick is my gamertag.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
5/22/14 1:56 p.m.

98 Dan Gurney Mercury Cougar

Just curious as to why you're using the race slicks, instead of the street tires. The streets are much closer to the bias-ply tires the actual cars used.

(Edit)- interesting... It highlighted the beginning of my post all on it's own.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
5/22/14 7:59 p.m.

I see it as these are classic cars with modern bits. I am sure race brakes now are much better then they were back in the day.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/22/14 8:15 p.m.

I'm in #76 Posey challenger gamer tag moparman7669

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/22/14 11:30 p.m.
racerfink wrote: #98 Dan Gurney Mercury Cougar Just curious as to why you're using the race slicks, instead of the street tires. The streets are much closer to the bias-ply tires the actual cars used. (Edit)- interesting... It highlighted the beginning of my post all on it's own.

As I said, I had to sell this series to the British based TORA sanction, and as Brits have a poor opinion of the handling characteristics of US Muscle Cars, I tried to ease that with the race slicks. The added driveability made for some great racing and closer competition.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
5/28/14 7:22 p.m.

I only have 4 people on board. Cmon everyone, I think this will be a great series. Very low key yet fantastic, clean racing. I am all about keeping it clean.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/28/14 11:00 p.m.

I think my kid would be in. I am trying to get some of my team interested too.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
5/30/14 7:33 a.m.

Wife's work schedule changed, so Tuesdays should be good for the time being. I went ahead and built 6 of the cars - that was fun!

DES4
DES4 New Reader
6/1/14 1:01 p.m.

Put me down (Cheeto23); I'll follow this thread, but feel free to update on Xbox live. I'm a Ford guy, so expect me in either the Boss 429 or Eliminator. Number 23.

... or maybe the Mach 1.

DES4
DES4 New Reader
6/1/14 3:57 p.m.

Spent some time making a set of Boss 302 stripes for the '70, so that'll be it...

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/1/14 7:25 p.m.

Cheeto and I are practicing right now.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
6/1/14 8:20 p.m.

I'm down for some shakedowns tomorrow evening.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
6/2/14 5:44 a.m.

Alrighty... This might happen. I am going to post a Charger up to team garage and hope that will entice some folks. Tues night around 9pm Est we will do some informal short races. I am thinking about starting this series off June 24 or a week late. Let's see how it goes.

By the way an additional rule will be all to qualify your best lap time must be clean.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/2/14 7:34 a.m.

I've tried a couple of times now, and keep coming up at 560pi, 403hp, 483 lb-ft, and 3,008lbs. on the Javelin.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/2/14 11:19 a.m.

For some odd reason I didn't make spec on a couple of cars so I went back to default, built them in the order listed and it worked out correctly. Doesn't make sense, but it worked (I haven't built a Javelin yet).

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/2/14 2:54 p.m.

I've built everything but the Mach1 so far, and the Javelin has been the only one off.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/2/14 4:59 p.m.

Well, I found the HP difference on the Jav. The build I downloaded off Flyin's storefront does not have a street ignition on it.

It also has a street rear anti-roll bar, instead of the sport one, and a 235 front tire width, accounting for my weight and PI difference.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
6/3/14 7:45 p.m.

I have same issue with jav... Glad you figured it out.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
6/4/14 8:02 p.m.

Was on last night and sent friend requests to all. I would like to shoot for Mon and Tues for test runs and informal racing. I will be out of action next week due to a hip replacement. Don't ask... I am too young.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/5/14 7:38 a.m.

I need to practice, a lot.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VRzclK1ZCahEMTZU1c8c7JMwFlVXOspujPSX2k89grloaOZ2a2xv6hQ0j0Xe0JP