1 2
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/10/20 9:48 p.m.

I setup a discord server for my own personal use a few months back.

I thought it might be interesting to some people here to setup voice channels within it for use by GRM Forum members to chat online and play racing games with other GRM members if they don't have another discord server to use already.

Anyone interested?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/11/20 8:59 p.m.

Help me understand discord. I had it for like 5 minutes for a game I was playing. Looked like a chat room. Promptly deleted it. Most modern gaming communities are swearing by it. I generally don't like other people so it's not usually a problem, but sifting through the trash to get the info in the wild is getting more difficult, and I suppose it could be a useful tool 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/11/20 9:58 p.m.

Potentially interested. If we ever do a pc based sim racing thing it would be very helpful. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
10/11/20 10:04 p.m.

I'd join the channel, most likely text only, though

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/11/20 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

To me Discord is today's version of Ventrilo. I used Ventrilo 16 years ago to have voice chat while playing Halo on PC.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/11/20 10:55 p.m.

Yeah, please give more info on what exactly it's for, what it can do.

As noted, I have looked into PC Assetto Corsa because PC3 shat the bed, and have been very impressed.  One of the primary downsides I see (other than making sure everyone has a PC) is lack of native chat, which is a huge part of the PS based games we have been using.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/11/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Nerd alert:  Are we talking Halo for PC, or Halo connected to PC via Xboxconnect (before Xbox Live existed)?

 

<--- I don't understand why multiplayer games are made without native chat.  It seems like a massive oversight.  Discord is great, but it only really works when you have a known group of people (perfect in this case).

 

I would love to a regular sim racing thing on PC thing happen here.  AC, Rfactor, PCars2, whatever.  Something with low system requirements so it is budget friendly.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/12/20 9:11 a.m.
aircooled said:

Yeah, please give more info on what exactly it's for, what it can do.

As noted, I have looked into PC Assetto Corsa because PC3 shat the bed, and have been very impressed.  One of the primary downsides I see (other than making sure everyone has a PC) is lack of native chat, which is a huge part of the PS based games we have been using.

Mndsm said:

Help me understand discord. I had it for like 5 minutes for a game I was playing. Looked like a chat room. Promptly deleted it. Most modern gaming communities are swearing by it. I generally don't like other people so it's not usually a problem, but sifting through the trash to get the info in the wild is getting more difficult, and I suppose it could be a useful tool 

SO discord is a chatroom tool in both voice and text form. it's the cross platform chat channel used everywhere because it's free and relatively easy to use. It can be used from a phone or a computer.


The primary idea was to utilize the Voice chatroom or "Channels" for group sim racing/vehicle gaming sessions.

iRacing, Assetto Corsa/ACC, Project cars 2/3 (if someone is so inclined, cant stand it myself), mudrunner, snowrunner

It could also be group gaming sessions, I personally play the crap out of Halo MCC lately.

The text channels would be to mostly communicate with people already within the group, we already have the big chatroom here: I.E. the GRM forum.

since there is positive interest here.. I'll work to flesh out the idea more and we'll see where it goes!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/12/20 9:19 a.m.

Hmm. I have been enjoying some Halo MCC lately as well.  (Halo 1 because I am a bit of a purist)

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/12/20 12:49 p.m.

Discord is great, I'm already on it for a few other things but it basically serves as a chat and/or voice connection and also allows streaming.  It's organized kinda like a forum where you can have general categories as well as subcategories for different chats, games, discussion areas, etc.  To give you an idea here is a screenshot from one of the discord channels I'm part of.  Far left is the channel list, then in the channel under the Community area are the general categories.  For this one you have the general category of Chat Rooms and then subcategories by topic, and the same for the TT and Practice Room areas.

 

 

Being chat-based it's more short form but is a great way to connect and have quicker discussions or organize game sessions.  That said, it's also only as good as its participants, so the more active users you have the better it is.  Given how little traffic Sim Central gets and the fact that GRM itself seems to not know this section exists I could see it not getting enough participation to really take off, but you never know.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/12/20 12:51 p.m.

Sounds good.  It might be best to divide by system (PC, XB, PS) then by game?  If that is even possible.  Of course, there will be different XB's and PS for a while.  One thing we do with our league, that would be nice if it can be done, is to have a main post / page (dashboard) that gives a good FAQ / info on each game / league, that can be changed if needed.  As noted, and what we have been doing, using this board for "messages" and pictures videos is likely best, but the server might be a better place for archival info (if that is practical).

Honestly, in terms of price / buy in requirements I think AC is the best middle ground at this point (it can cover a very wide range of PC specs).

As a quick note on PC (since you don't like it), it's not that bad once you put some time in (it can be very tough for a beginner, you really need to under drive the cars a bit).  It's rather rewarding when you get it right though.  AC actually drives very similar.  iRacing I suspect is also similar (never played it myself).

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/12/20 12:57 p.m.

Looks like i'm already in this, so yes. I support it. I'd love it if we could actually get some GRM Forza nights going. That's potentially another thread though. Also GRM Among Us.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/12/20 2:14 p.m.

I'm in lots of discord servers, what's one more?

It's useful for coordinating events, sharing pictures, and just hanging out. Like Zoom but for gamers, more or less. It'll do screen sharing and video chat too, although I don't have as much experience with that.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/12/20 2:28 p.m.

Ok, rough version of the Discord is up and running.

If you're interested in being added, you need to send me a PM through the forum with your info, and I can send you a link via email. Trying to mitigate spam by not making the link to the discord public.



 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/12/20 3:19 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

Ok, rough version of the Discord is up and running.

If you're interested in being added, you need to send me a PM through the forum with your info, and I can send you a link via email. Trying to mitigate spam by not making the link to the discord public.



 

That's a good call. Can you require a password for the discord channel as well or am I going too far?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/12/20 3:28 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Halo for PC. Used to be in a clan. Head twist after 3 quick pistol headshots, etc.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/12/20 3:50 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

Ok, rough version of the Discord is up and running.

If you're interested in being added, you need to send me a PM through the forum with your info, and I can send you a link via email. Trying to mitigate spam by not making the link to the discord public.



 

That's a good call. Can you require a password for the discord channel as well or am I going too far?

i can't require a password per se, but i can require certain amounts of security on the user side before they're allowed to be a part of the server.

 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/14/20 1:58 p.m.

Now I really need to figure put how to host an Asseto Corsa server. My Verizon Fios router is not playing nice. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/14/20 4:32 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
clutchsmoke said:
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

Ok, rough version of the Discord is up and running.

If you're interested in being added, you need to send me a PM through the forum with your info, and I can send you a link via email. Trying to mitigate spam by not making the link to the discord public.



 

That's a good call. Can you require a password for the discord channel as well or am I going too far?

i can't require a password per se, but i can require certain amounts of security on the user side before they're allowed to be a part of the server.

 

i also have my own method of security for invites to the server right now. so once people send me a PM from the forum, it starts that process.

 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/29/20 8:46 p.m.

Pushing this back up to the top.

this server is up and going

 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/29/20 9:35 p.m.

Sweet! Could I get an invite?

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/30/20 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

i've sent you a message

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/30/20 1:31 p.m.

everyone who messaged me has gotten invite links.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/31/20 11:39 a.m.

Thanks!!!!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/6/20 11:43 a.m.

Did this go away?  I tried getting to it yesterday and it is like it all went away.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
RvnOJ284Am0Bu8iRAlW2CDNBK0azFgUSObjcHMIEIUft22LB0ON666Z49dmItivO