1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60
dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/2/14 11:50 a.m.
aircooled wrote: My GTR races are very "tire centric". Everything is based on making half a race on RS's, so I run well below top speed. Because of that, gearing is not that important, I have run way too much gear many times because it really does not impact my race much.

This is why your fuel numbers are so good

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/2/14 11:52 a.m.

Shifting at 6 or 7k instead of 8 makes a huge difference in fuel millage. I did this one race when I had 200hc and it netted me a 3rd I think just because it cut my time in the pits by something like 30 seconds on a 2 stop race.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 1:08 p.m.

Air, I just couldnt get those esses down for E36 M3... I still have a hard time racing virtually vs reality. Id love to have a track that I have actually raced at before, but to my knowledge Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park are not on the game... lol

My inability to use manual is also the case here of virtual vs reality. With real racing I go off noise and feel, and without being able to feel or hear the engine I forget to upshift/downshift whatever.

Basically I suck ass driving virtually, but I am not half bad in real racing situations.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/2/14 1:31 p.m.
onebadrsx05 wrote: Air, I just couldnt get those esses down for E36 M3... I still have a hard time racing virtually vs reality. Id love to have a track that I have actually raced at before, but to my knowledge Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park are not on the game... lol My inability to use manual is also the case here of virtual vs reality. With real racing I go off noise and feel, and without being able to feel or hear the engine I forget to upshift/downshift whatever. Basically I suck ass driving virtually, but I am not half bad in real racing situations.

Have you tried headphones? This really helps with engine sound. Also I don't know if you have the music on during the race but shutting that off leaves you only with game sounds. I hated that dam music during races. I don't know why they have that.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 2:18 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
onebadrsx05 wrote: Air, I just couldnt get those esses down for E36 M3... I still have a hard time racing virtually vs reality. Id love to have a track that I have actually raced at before, but to my knowledge Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park are not on the game... lol My inability to use manual is also the case here of virtual vs reality. With real racing I go off noise and feel, and without being able to feel or hear the engine I forget to upshift/downshift whatever. Basically I suck ass driving virtually, but I am not half bad in real racing situations.

Have you tried headphones? This really helps with engine sound. Also I don't know if you have the music on during the race but shutting that off leaves you only with game sounds. I hated that dam music during races. I don't know why they have that.

Still doesnt help me... the engine noises in these games are just not what they should be... close yes, but exact? Nope.

I just watched this entire thing, bored as crap here at work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77gQz_ubzI&feature=share&list=UUnr-INLr5tePZFKm3TA1yHg&index=1 Thats me at AMP in November. I play nice with other cars! I dont bump Air on heavy braking zones and I dont bump Argo in turns.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/2/14 3:49 p.m.
onebadrsx05 wrote: ...Thats me at AMP in November....

Weird. You totally hit all the apex's!!

I just did a quick test (you all might want to try it also): I ran a stock RGT around Suzuka in GT6 as a comparison. In GT6 you get a bit more power oversteer, it's a bit easier in drift, but way more harsh when the car breaks loose (almost impossible to catch). As another test, I added race soft tires. These tires destroy the car in GT5, completely eliminating oversteer. In GT6 the handling characteristics are still there (huge improvement), the sound is different, but the breakaway is super harsh!

Still don't think I like the race tires much (why such harsh breakaway?!) but they are much better then GT5.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 3:57 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I know right?!?!! I CAN drive the right line!!

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/2/14 7:14 p.m.

Race rubber is like that in real life. More ultimate grip but less warning when they give up.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/2/14 8:13 p.m.

I played on willow today and we need to do a truck race there with corner cuts allowed. There are some great jump possibilities there haha

edit: I have no idea why I posted that in this thread. Could make for a fun test race for the GT6 weeks.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 10:17 p.m.

Im going to test the GTR race with 20 laps here in a little bit... probably close to midnight EST. IF anyone wants to join.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/3/14 12:09 a.m.

20 laps will make the GTR race VERY VERY interesting.

I ran it is 24.19, so its a little longer than the normal 20 min races but it makes things VERY strategic. I also ran a fastest lap of 1.02 on RH's. Imma see how fast I can get with RS's

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/3/14 12:51 a.m.

Couldnt get a good RS lap in before the GF yelled at me... so I will try tomorrow!

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/3/14 12:31 p.m.

RS I am betting spool gets it well under 1 minute. I got 1 min dead.

20 lap race really is not a strategy race it is a 1 stop.

21 laps makes it a PITA as you will have to go in to fuel saver mode to get 11 laps on a tank.

A 16,17,or 18 lap race and things get interesting. With these tire ware numbers (and I was not trying to save tires at all) you could have some interesting tire management races.

Dean said: Did some testing at GVE after you all left and as best I can figure you use 10 liters of fuel per lap.

RS = 6 laps 60l used

RM = 8 laps 80l used

RH = 10 laps (and you are basically out of fuel) 97l used

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/3/14 12:50 p.m.

BY THE WAY: I like the tire/fuel management races. Since I will never win on driving skill unless it is a super speedway race.

The more tire/fuel management needed in a race the better I seem to do. And this makes sense as the last 10 years or so of my racing I was almost a full time crew chief doing endurance road course racing. I think that is why I have been enjoying the GTR races this season so much. I hope we can do something again that has this factored in to it. However I also understand that many here are not so enthusiastic about it and would prefer to just go and drive and have the winner be based on driving skill and / or your ability to tune your cars handling.

Speaking of next season. I am still hoping that my EURO TRASH race (with a total PP limit as well as a PP limit on what the car is new) in some form is still an option. I like race tires but since money is an object for some at the moment we should probably keep it to sport tires. Another way to keep the spending down is to either limit the initial purchase price or restrict the tuning in some way (although I would like it to be unlimited)

Another one would be a pre 1975ish muscle car race with a PP limit of say 450. We should probably limit it to sedans and coups No race mod cars and no GT40's At a minimum alow for a trans change and suspension upgrade.

How about a japinees street car race limited to RWD pre 1980 with some reasonable PP limit on Sport tires?

There is always a spec Miata.

I want to do something that I can use a MK1 MR2

Or a Spec S2000

Or a Spec RX7 (there are 2nd and 3rd generations in the game I wish they had the first gen RX7)

We could just go back to a GT300 or GT500 series but those cars are a bit spendy new.

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/3/14 1:03 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Ill go on a limb and say that if I can get down in the 59xx range that spool will be 57 or 58. I 100% believe I am braking too early on T1 but I have to otherwise I go into a 4 wheel slide into the kitty litter.

I ran out of fuel on the 11th lap around (was going to pit that time around) with almost half life tires. I also got about 6 laps out of RS's and probably had a lap or 2 more to go on them.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/3/14 1:33 p.m.
onebadrsx05 wrote: In reply to dean1484: Ill go on a limb and say that if I can get down in the 59xx range that spool will be 57 or 58. I 100% believe I am braking too early on T1 but I have to otherwise I go into a 4 wheel slide into the kitty litter.

I have to at least lift before the little kink / rise and then roll it in to t1. If I try to keep my foot in it over the rize I am in the sand trap due to the car getting light over the rise and then not being able to stop..

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/3/14 2:00 p.m.

I will probably sit out of the GTR race. I'm not close enough to get a podium spot for the season. And there looks to be a close battle for the win, so I'll just sit back and watch it unfold.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/3/14 3:16 p.m.

What were the fast laps from last week?

I haven't employed any sort of tire/fuel strategy with the GTR races. I did try to take third as often as possible after dealing with the 200kg penalty though.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/3/14 3:24 p.m.

Looks like I need to win RGT at GV and air needs to be mid-pac or less. Avettey, you know what to do!

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/3/14 3:47 p.m.

Pssst Spool did you get the shipment. Small denominations non sequential. Just as you wanted. You will take care of things in GTR rite? A little nudge here and a bump there was the deal.. . . .

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/3/14 4:12 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: What were the fast laps from last week?

Both Fast Lap winners were the Pole sitters, thus the 20 pts (!) for first. (blue green color, I should come up with a better coding for this).

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/3/14 5:22 p.m.

I was thinking times not points haha

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/3/14 6:46 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Pole in RGT was a 2.14.7 and I think fast lap was a 2.15.2.

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
1/5/14 8:20 p.m.

Greetings from California. Moved in. PS3 fired up. Will be back online Tuesday. Should be able to race Wednesday. Are we offically 20 laps for GTR? Cant go online to test fuel usage yet. Dean, what does fuel look like?

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
1/5/14 11:11 p.m.

I'm just under a minute in GTR with 200kg and in the 1:07s with the RGT. Mostly I will be staying out of the way of the points races this week. Spool and I are within a point for 4th in GTR but I am carrying an extra 100kg. Yes, that will be the excuse I will be using.

1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60
Our Preferred Partners
GuQd0RxcrBis57qYqV8MsnjA5rk2Z6y0ZRSD9ij8aOTWfVQjd1FLvRtjhJDcuvr8