1 2 3 ... 123
aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 10:53 a.m.

Welcome to the (un)official GRM - Gran Turismo 6 racing League - Series 1.

STANDINGS

This is a championship series based on the cars and spirit of the Grassroots Motorsports (and what is available in GT6). Although highly competitive the main focus of the racing is fun clean racing. Because of this, rough driving is highly discouraged.

This league will consist of 10 races run weekly, and 2 classes:

Spec Miata Not just for girls anymore...

• The only car Model allowed is a Miata/MX5 (any series)
  • 425pp
  • SS Tires
  • Race length set the number of laps raced in 7-8 min. Two races will be run, second race is Reverse Grid.
  • All tuning allowed.
  • Use of Race Suspension (at least as a starting point) is highly recommended.
  • (suggestion, not required): Use of early Miata allowed repainting to show stripes

Euro Trash Snooty French accent not required

• Must be a European Manufactured Car (DeLorean allowed)
  • No race /rally cars, must be a road legal car.
  • Purchase price must be under $500,000 (DeLorean excepted)
  • Must keep the same car once chosen (except as noted below)
  • A car choice change may be made at mid-season if desired.
  • When purchased PP must be under 550
  • Max 550pp
  • Sport Soft Tires
  • All tuning allowed
  • Power Limiter setting must be 90% or above
  • Race length set the number of laps raced in 15 min.
  • You MUST use your chosen vehicle until the mid-season break. At that time you are allowed to switch.
  • Buyers remorse rule: Switching cars for the second race is allowed.
  • No Duplicate Car Showdown rules: Only one car of each model is allowed at a time. If there are duplicate car(s) in a race, a Showdown results. ONLY the driver (of those with duplicate cars) that finishes ahead of the other duplicate cars is allowed to use that car in future races. You can only challenge for each model once, and once you loose a Showdown for any car, you cannot use it again.

Handicapping:

To help equalize cars and/or drivers, cars will be handicapped based on finish position. Handicapping is detailed below:

Finishing in 1st or 2nd place will give that drive a handicap. HC's are in effect for the next race the driver participates in only. Skipping more then one race clears the HC (to make it easier on occasional entrants).

Finishing first or second with a HC imposes a permanent HC that will be added to by normal HC. (e.g. 5pp permanent + 5pp for 1-2) These permanent HC's can be cumulative.

Handicaps

Spec Miata: 5 pp

EuroTrash: 10 pp

Adjustments to lower pp can be done in any way as long as it doesn't violate any of the series rules. HC levels will be tracked on the Standing board above.

• 1st - 16 points
  • 2nd - 14 points
  • 3rd - 12 points
  • 4th - 11 points
  • 5th - 10 points
  • 6th - 9 points
  • 7th - 8 points
  • 8th - 7 points
  • 9th - 6 point
  • 10th - 5 point
  • 11th - 4 point
  • 12th - 3 point
  • 13th - 2 point
  • 14th - 1 point

• You get 1 points for qualifying on the pole.

• You get 1 points for fastest race lap.

• Two extra points for the biggest shunt victim. Voted by participants if needed.

Points for the championship will consist of your 9 highest scores (you will drop your lowest scoring race). With this, missing a race won't eliminate your chances.

First tie breaker is total 1st place finishes. Second tie breaker is ROC/Challenge race.

Starting and Restarts

In an effort to combat glitching, when a race is started, all participants will exit into the pits before the count down counter reaches 10 seconds. This will not affect qualifying order. Please note your starting position in the event of a restart.

If major glitching or a large series of collisions (CF) occur at the start or within a few turns of the start anyone witnessing a significant enough of an event should type RESTART in the message window and a restart will be initiated. In the event of a restart:

• All participants will exit the track
  • Do NOT re-enter the track until instructed
  • The race will then be started as a Rolling Start.
  • When the race is started, participants will form up in the original starting order (as best they can recall) with special consideration to the top 3 positions.

Rolling start: The lead qualifying will be responsible for pacing the pack at 80 mph to a designated point (probably the last turn before a back straight) at which point the race starts (in the case of a restart, the starting point will be much closer to the start line).

There is NO passing until that point, and previous to the start point cars will attempt to get into the original start order. If another major glitching incident occurs with the re-start, the glitching car will be asked to start at the back an stay clear of cars for the first few turns. Ultimately a glitching car may be asked to leave, which will be avoided if at all possible.

Rules: (Repeated violations / complaints will result in a DQ.)

• Qualifying: A 10-15 min qualifying session will be held before each race. A one lap "reset race" will be run before the first race qualifying to clear/reset the qualifying times.

• You must start the race on the tires that you qualify on. (The Spool rule)

• All driving aids are off (TCS, Driving line, etc), except ABS

• Damage is set to Low, draft to High, edge setting is Real, penalty is set to Off.

• Racing etiquette applies (e.g. it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to ensure a clean pass). Keep the racing clean.

• Passing Consideration: No passing under braking. Make certain you have a clear position on a car (beside the car) BEFORE a corner if you plan to pass in a corner. In such a case both cars are required to provide driving room in the corner (punting rule does apply). See below for examples.

• Braking consideration. In order to avoid rear-ending others during braking, please either take a different line from the car you are following or fade brake as shown below:

• Corner Cutting: Maintain two wheels on the track (not curbs) at all times. Cutting is allowed to avoid hitting other cars (do not improve your position)

• Punting Courtesy Rule: The following driver is responsible for not making contact with the car in front. If you push someone else off of the track you are required to wait for them to return to the track and allow them to stay in front of you for at least one turn. This rule also applies if you force someone into a cut if they have a clear reasonable position beside you.

• Track Re-Entry: If you do run off the track, re-enter the track by merging into the track, parallel to the track. Give way to faster traffic. Avoid crossing the track or driving slower in the racing line when possible.

• One Move Rule: When being followed by another car, you are allowed one move that is out of the normal racing line per section (straight / turn) of the track. E.g. if someone is drafting up behind you, you can cut to the inside to take that line, but cannot then cut back to the outside. Swerving to avoid the draft is not allowed (although you can still make the one move).

If you would like to compete in 1 or more classes, you will need to have AllAirCooled (ARR-Argo1 and Spoolpigeon are alternates) (PSN IDs) as a friend to enter the room. Send me a PM, or post in this thread listing:

• PSN ID
  • GRM ID
  • Desired Class(es) and car choice (if applicable)

Drop ins are also generally welcome. If you are not planning on actively competing is the series, please avoid hindering any of the active drivers.

Schedule:

All races are held in Private Lounges. In order to enter the room you will have to have another participant in your fiend list( preferably Argo or Allaircooled). Go to Online, then check the "Friends Rooms Only" checkbox near the bottom. Look for the room with the current track or with "GRM" in the title.

Races scheduled to be held on Wednesday evenings. Each class race would run sequentially. At 8PM Central Time (9ET, 6PT) we will run a one lap "reset race" to zero out the qualifying times. Qualifying for the first race will start immediately after the reset race with the race starting at approximately 15 after (depending on participant arrival). The second class will start qualifying at aprox. 8:45 - 9:00PM Central Time, with the race starting at approx. 9:00 - 9:15PM Central Time.

Event schedule:

Results color coding: Blue = Pole Position, Green = Fast Lap, Purple = Shunt Award (blue/green is pole and fast lap)

• 1/15 - GT6 Series Testing - Muscle Cars, Track Day Cars, Shifter Karts (as time allows)

• 1/22 - GT6 Series Testing - Euro Trash / Shifter Karts (if not the previous week), Spec Miata, Smokey & the Bandit (as time allows)

• 1/29 - Round 1 Mount Panorama [3(x2)/10 laps]

• 2/5 - Round 2 Silverstone [2(x2)/7 laps]

• 2/12 - Round 3 Brands Hatch [3(x2)/11 laps]

• 2/19 - Round 4 Willow Springs [4(x2)/8 laps]

• 2/26 - Round 5 Matterhorn Dristelen [4(x2)/9 laps]

• 3/5 - Round 6 Apricot Hill [x/x laps]

• 3/12 - Mid Series Break: Testing for next season

• 3/19 - Round 7 Spa [2(x2)/4 laps]

• 3/26 - Round 8 Twin Ring Motegi East Short [3(x2)/7 laps]

• 4/2 - Round 9 Ascari [2(x2)/5 laps]

• 4/9 - Round 10 Rome reverse [6/8/15 laps]

• 4/16 - Challenge/ROC:

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork

Week 1 Testing - 1/15:

What you will need:

Muscle Cars: Straight axle leaf spring cars (e.g. no Corvettes). Pre 1972 (or pre 80 to allow the TransAm?) post 1962.

Please set up two versions of you car:

1 - Sport Hard tires. 500pp. Only power mods (no turbo or supercharger mods) and Fully Customized Transmission allowed. 90% Power Limiter allowed to get to 500 (minimum use highly suggested, it's better). Please add Race Exhaust as first mod.

2 - Sport Soft tires. 500pp. All mods allowed

Track Day Cars: Rocket, Seven Fireblade, X-BOW R, GSX-R/4. Sport Hard Tires (or Sport Soft). 560 pp.

Karts: 125 shifters (simple enough)

Questions that need to be answered:

• Muscle Cars: Are they best as close to stock as possible (ver 1) or modified at will (ver 2). The concern with 1 is there will be ringer cars, the concern with 2 is that the cars will loose there "character".

• A useful test would be to find out if the available cars, as stock but with power adders to get to 500pp, compare to each other. e.g. I am pretty sure the SuperBird will be slower in general (it's not so good at turning). If they are pretty similar and there are some outliers, we MAY be able to use the outliers as HC cars. I would really like to see as much variation as possible.

• Track Day Cars: Are the three cars comparable, or should restrict it to just the Rocket? Do we allow fully tuned suspensions, or full stock? What tire? (sport hard is stock)

• Shifter Karts: Will they be interesting? Can controller users compete?

• How do we handicap each of these?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork

Week 2 Testing 1/22:

Karts: 125 shifter Karts (if not done the previous week)

Euro Trash: Euro Car. No Race Cars. DeLorean allowed. Sport Tires. PP as purchased from the dealer must be under 550. 550 PP Maximum power reduction is 90% All other tuning / weight reduction is allowed.

Spec Miata: 425pp (?), Sport Soft tires (?) (more power will probably be better at the larger tracks)

Smokey and the Bandit: We will have to wait for Comp to get back to us on this, but a TransAm and some other muscle car will be involved.

Questions about above:

• Euro Trash: Limit purchase price on cars?

• Spec Miata: Allow only NA Miatas? (for the paint scheme variations)

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 10:54 a.m.

General Questions on series:

• Should the handicap system be revised? If we go with the 2 step system as used previously, if we make 3rd place "no change" do we need to bump the points for 3rd?

• There is a possibility we may have too many for one room. How do we split the rooms if needed?

• We need a track for the last race. Probably a variation of one of the new tracks.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/9/14 11:03 a.m.

(Reserved for future smack talk)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/9/14 11:15 a.m.

(Reserved for jokes about Spool's predilection for Pontiac Aztecs)

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
1/9/14 11:39 a.m.
aircooled wrote: General Questions on series: - Should the handicap system be revised? If we go with the 2 step system as used previously, if we make 3rd place "no change" do we need to bump the points for 3rd?

I think that we should eliminate the "double dip penalty". Meaning that starting a race qualifies to satisfy a "step" in the handicap. This way if you have a second place handicap and finish in second you don't wind up with a first place handicap. You just keep the second place handicap.

I think that the pole and fast lap points have added interest but to avoid smart people taking advantage of it by taking pole and fast lap points, then finishing 3rd to avoid handicap, we should make it one point instead of two for each.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/9/14 11:39 a.m.

suggest lower pp for gsxr in trackday. they way under pp'd it. stock is under 500 an it hung with the other cars when i tested the other week.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/9/14 11:41 a.m.

hope to be back for the tests. out due to a medical problem right now.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/9/14 12:17 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: I think that the pole and fast lap points have added interest but to avoid smart people taking advantage of it by taking pole and fast lap points, then finishing 3rd to avoid handicap, we should make it one point instead of two for each.

Aw c'mon man!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/9/14 12:36 p.m.

Interesting... I have an Aztec orange 2002tii at 500pp or so that qualifies as euro trash as well as a Fireblade 7.

All I'm missing is time to practice.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/9/14 1:04 p.m.

I'd love to "drop in" now and then, but realistically don't have time to run the whole series. If I have time, I'll certainly qualify, etc, but I'm wondering if a voluntary "start in the back" isn't a better option for people like me who don't want to mess up the "regulars".

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/9/14 1:13 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Nothing better to see you well you play with others than a trial by fire!

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/9/14 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon: Truf. I was actually working on driving in traffic on GT5. Its definitely a learned skill and quite different than the "drive the perfect line" normally required whooop up on the AI's. My biggest problem was I couldn't stand the whiny Bob Costi on PSN long enough to get the necessary practice.

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
1/9/14 2:17 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Us "regulars" regularly mess ourselves up. Come join in. The next couple of weeks are a good time to practice with us.

1/9/14 2:26 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: In reply to kazoospec: Us "regulars" regularly mess ourselves up. Come join in. The next couple of weeks are a good time to practice with us.

I'll give it a try next week for sure. Do I need to friend you to getan invite?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 3:06 p.m.

Yup, you need to be someones friend in the room. Argo, me or Dean are likely your best bet. Post your PSN ID and we will add you.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/9/14 3:13 p.m.

Probably not a bad idea to post how to join someone's lobby. It was very confusing at first on GT5, and I haven't tried it yet on 6.

1/9/14 3:15 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Yup, you need to be someones friend in the room. Argo, me or Dean are likely your best bet. Post your PSN ID and we will add you.

capt_mal_renolds

I am oft impersonated by a 13yr old boy who spends every possible moment allowable on GT6 so I'll tell him to keep an eye out for invites for me ;)

Thanks.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 3:17 p.m.

It's actually easier in GT6. Just go to Online, then check the box near the bottom that says "Friends Rooms Only". My room, at least, will say "GRM League" in the title. Should be pretty easy to find.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/9/14 4:17 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

For those that care when I set up a room it will have "GRM" in the title. I usually will put what I am doing. After talking with Air last night after the race I will be doing "GRM Euro Trash" testing my room will be named accordingly for the next foreseeable future. I am going to try and get some testing done between now and next week so it will give everyone a week to then purchase, test and tune a car for the test the following week.

I am going to test two different types of cars for the Euro Trash Racing. The first will be to the 550 standard I noted previously and I will look at sport versus race tires. I am at the moment leaning towards sport just to keep the $$$$$ down.

The second will be a significantly lower PP. I don't know the number yet but the point will be to truly get the "Trash" in Euro-Trash. I am thinking somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of the 400's is where I will end up. I want to eliminate all supper cars and end up with a mix of FWD and RWD lower PP cars. The only down side I see to this is that it could end up being something similar to the Coffee cars in terms of car performance. Not that that was bad, infact I think it was universaly agreed that the coffe cars were a lot of fun. This would hopefully allow for greater diversity than the coffee car series and give people a wider choice of cars to better suite there driving style. These would most definitely be on sport tires.

Ohya I almost forgot try the GNX on sport tires. Put performance mods in it EXCEPT upgrades to the turbo getting it to about 450PP. That is a fun car!!!!!

To add a bit more to getting to rooms. Once you check friends only rooms and hopefully you will then see one or two rooms. You don't have to enter a room to see who is in it there is a way to list the people in the room so you can "see" who of your friends it is that is in the room.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/9/14 4:19 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: In reply to Spoolpigeon: Truf. I was actually working on driving in traffic on GT5. Its definitely a learned skill and quite different than the "drive the perfect line" normally required whooop up on the AI's. My biggest problem was I couldn't stand the whiny Bob Costi on PSN long enough to get the necessary practice.

The only way to get better at it is to do it. The group put up with me (and still is) so no worries.

Argo1
Argo1 Dork
1/9/14 7:54 p.m.

So what track are we doing testing on next week?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 8:49 p.m.

Hmmm, I don't know, something from the series is probably best. Mt Panorama is a bit big. Spa might be nice but is also a bit big. Apricot Hill might be good, but the straight is a bit small.

For comparison purposes when testing cars, I think we settled on Grand Valley East.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/9/14 9:53 p.m.

Did a bit of testing (Grand Valley East) for the Muscle cars (v1 with all stock except for power upgrades to 500 pp):

• z28 - 1:12.3
  • Mustang (71) - 1:12.6
  • GT350 - 13.4
  • Nova - 13.8
  • Chevelle - 14.3
  • Challenger R/T - 14.7
  • Superbird - 15.5

The Superbird is a bit of a pig. Most of the cars have serious traction issue coming out of corners. Generally the lighter cars are faster, but it is a pretty small course. Over all I think the cars are pretty close. I was a bit surprised about the Challenger. It is 50/50 weight distribution which helps a lot on corner exit, but didn't seem to help much around the course (might be the super low RPM range of the Hemi).

1 2 3 ... 123
Our Preferred Partners
h3wlszISxqwB0t2t2d3B6M3CGKh49f7fGBDPndIL7DjYA6C3Uv8ZfR4y3vM8Fqgy