1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73
dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/21/15 12:01 a.m.

Testing tonight was fun. Got more time in the Supra and I like it alot. I am working on the prefered tire for it. SH are fun but requires throttle modulation. SM you can still break it loose and slide it some. I like both. I have not tried it on SS tires.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/21/15 1:16 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Cars to re test supra rz 97 garaiya 02 ZZ-S 00 Other cars to test. corvette zo6 (c5) 04 corvette zr-1 (c4) 90 Honda HSV-010

I posted the wrong Corvette. I have this paintable one.

Corvette zr1 (C6) LM 09

If the 2004 version can be painted then should test both.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/21/15 8:14 a.m.

Dean, sorry about disappearing last night, my PS3 froze up and I just didn't get back on.

I didn't get much time in the HSV, but it is a fun car. My only concern with running it is the price tag for those who didn't get it with the 15th anniversary package.

That said, I made a discovery last night. I tried the Quick Match thing again and ran a couple races. My first race was with 2 other people who took each other out in the first turn and I cruised to victory. I was at full bonus, but a 3 lap race with 2 other people netted me 250k. The next race had a few more people in it and I finished 2nd, and received 178k for my efforts. The racing can be a bit weird and rough, but 450k for 10 minutes of racing ain't bad.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/21/15 8:21 a.m.

I'm still amazed that the game doesn't have a premium/detailed version of the supra. Easily one of the top sports cars ever put out by Japan and all we get are the crap versions in the game.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/21/15 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

There is a premium 89 or 90 supra in the game.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/21/15 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

Sorry, I should have specified the last gen (mark IV?) supras.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/21/15 10:30 a.m.
e30Matt wrote: Dean, sorry about disappearing last night, my PS3 froze up and I just didn't get back on. I didn't get much time in the HSV, but it is a fun car. My only concern with running it is the price tag for those who didn't get it with the 15th anniversary package. That said, I made a discovery last night. I tried the Quick Match thing again and ran a couple races. My first race was with 2 other people who took each other out in the first turn and I cruised to victory. I was at full bonus, but a 3 lap race with 2 other people netted me 250k. The next race had a few more people in it and I finished 2nd, and received 178k for my efforts. The racing can be a bit weird and rough, but 450k for 10 minutes of racing ain't bad.

Not that I need the cash but what the hell I will give it a go. No problem re leaving. Anth joint the room 3 seconds after you left.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/21/15 11:20 a.m.

Of note: The HSV is 980,000 cr and there appears to be 4 versions:

• KEIHIN HSV-010
  • RAYBRIG HSV-010
  • HSV-010 GT Base Model
  • weider HSV-010

A potential possibility here is to have the leaders in the series run the branded cars (we can set an order), just for easy identification / glory. Those without the CR of course would not need to comply.

I think the Base Model is the one that can be painted / numbered. The car is 572pp, so if you cannot currently afford one, bring something at that pp so we can test in a crowd. If we run a series on it we might want set the room at a HP/Weight setting to keep the tuning simpler.

I would like to try these in a decent size group and on smaller track. The issue we have had with the fast cars in the past is that they can get a bit hyper and "situations" develop too quickly. I think these are slow enough (LMP's not so much) though.

Try and get the winged Supra (it's the higher PP one) and the Corvettes (Corvette zo6, Corvette zr-1 ) if you can. No oil changes at this point please.

• Supra rz 97 (470 ish PP)
  • Corvette ZR1 (C4) 90
  • Corvette ZO6 (C5) 04
Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/21/15 11:35 a.m.

I ran my first few "Match" races this morning @ A1 Ring. Rough driving seemed to be the norm. Pass someone and he'll dive bomb you for sure or gently crowd you off the track. I went in expecting it though. I watched a couple of replays and didn't see much that wasn't too rough in the whole field. The trick will be not to fall into bad habit patterns trying to stay up front.

I also noticed that many drivers carried momentum wide onto the aprons to keep up speed and got back on course before hitting the grass and not hitting anyone else. They usually made sizeable gains that way.

How does my experience compare to yours?

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/21/15 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Graefin10:

That's pretty much dead on with my experience. At first I thought that the people I was racing were just bad and not able to keep it on track, then I realized they were using the extra space on purpose. A lot of people are liberal with the course boundaries, and though there are penalties for things violating track boundaries it only seems to be in certain areas, and almost exclusively on the inside.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/21/15 12:31 p.m.

I only tried it a few times. Finding a race is an issue. I did get the classic push out on a corner and then discovered that the revenge t-bone was not allowed. Not being able to call the guy an a-hole was a bit irritating. I would suspect crowding the inside of the corner is a good tactic. It's like racing the AI: NEVER pass on the outside!!!!!!

I guess, if you can adapt to that sort of racing, it could be fun.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:23 p.m.
Advan046 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Cars to re test supra rz 97 garaiya 02 ZZ-S 00 Other cars to test. corvette zo6 (c5) 04 corvette zr-1 (c4) 90 Honda HSV-010

I posted the wrong Corvette. I have this paintable one.

Corvette zr1 (C6) LM 09

If the 2004 version can be painted then should test both.

The corvette we tested last night was interesting. A calmer version of the Honda HSV and I like the engine sound better that Honda engine sound is irritating after a while. Kind of like a manic dentist's drill.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/21/15 6:54 p.m.

Beeeeeeeeeeeerk. Probably won't make it tonight.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/21/15 7:17 p.m.

I am on the fence I am still working

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
1/21/15 9:22 p.m.

Didn't get home in time tonight...

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/21/15 11:51 p.m.

Sauce / Matt we need to talk. You have some say for the sss cars for next season. The MR2 is a lock for Sunday. The 423 series is gaining in popularity. I also like the Supra and the C5 corvette. But I need your input on these or a possible alternative. There is always the drivers choice or we could do some sort of series like the EVO (find a car that there are a lot of them and use tuning regs similar to the EVO series.)

The progressive RUF series would be interesting. 2 races per car and them move on to the next one.

A spec supercar series?

All are open.

I was talking with Air last night and it looks like there will be another weeks of testing due to us not even having a track list selected.

Hay Air we could do a track selection by the people in order of season finishing position? No duplicates from last season? Reverse runs do not count as a duplicate. Try and get some of the less used tracks?

What else.. . .. . Ohya the modified rubber band race was great!!!! I think with a little bit of tweaking. Lowing of the supras PP by 5 PP and it would have been almost a dead heat.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/22/15 9:36 a.m.

I think that the spec tuned series using the HSV or Corvette LM would be a great series.

The SSS series of S2000 seems fixed so let's do the SSS Supra.

Thus:

Sunday

• Spec Series MR2
  • SSS Supra

Wednesday:

• SSS S2000
  • Tune what's stock Corvette LM or HSV
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/22/15 11:53 a.m.

Are the vette and HSV competetive with each other? Maybe run both.

Last nights rubber band races were fun. If I could have seen where I was going I think could have pulled off a win lol

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/22/15 2:22 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Are the vette and HSV competetive with each other? Maybe run both. Last nights rubber band races were fun. If I could have seen where I was going I think could have pulled off a win lol

The vet is slower I think

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
1/23/15 9:05 a.m.

Ok, time to cast my vote. I missed the C5 race in testing the other night and didn't own the LM. I tried both last night and the LM was good, the C5 I didn't much care for. I'm sure if I spent some more time in it I would get used to it, but you have to be very precise with it to get it to do what you want.

So, my vote for SSS cars are: Supra and s2k. For tuner cars: MR2 and HSV.

I'm somewhat indifferent between the LM Vette and the HSV, but the HSV gets my vote just for being able to be painted and numbered. That said, it may also be prohibitively expensive to some, and if that's the case we can go with the Vette. They drive very differently, but I enjoy both.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/23/15 3:36 p.m.

Thanks Matt!!!!

Ok So for Sunday we will run the Mr2 as the Tuner Series and we will run the Supra as the SSS car. I would prefer to go with SM tires. It will make things a bit easier for those on controllers and I like the added corner speed and the better braking. Testing the car with SM tires and an oil change and you can still get the tail end to step out with out a problem under power. Sunday I am going to run a mock Sunday race with the two cars. Each will have 2 races each for 10 min or so. These will be distanced based races not like last season where I was using 10 minute timed races for the EVO.

Air can fill us in for what he is going to do for Wednesday's

For this coming Sunday we will need a track. I am open to suggestions. For now lets keep it to something we know so we can get a feeling for how these cars play in traffic.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
1/23/15 7:35 p.m.

The Corvette can be painted (the hood anyway) and numbered. I like the HSV but am good with the Corvette as well.

How about the Red Bull Ring for a track?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/23/15 7:48 p.m.

Which s2k will be using? We forgot to do the race Wednesday lol.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
1/23/15 10:00 p.m.

I am confused as to what corvette we are talking about.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
1/23/15 10:12 p.m.

Both the '06 and '09 C6 LM Corvettes can be painted and numbered. Take your pick.

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73
Our Preferred Partners
guTnv2abfwS4CBludTn2V1abAMsDxxa1wcLyWxZFkoMC2AzjzkIO4Iyskpt8xAad