1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
failboat
failboat UberDork
12/1/15 12:10 p.m.

Oh dang now tuner cars are in the mix? I didnt test any. But I am sure most are near the pp limit already and are on the heavy side (looking at you, skylines...)

I am pretty happy with my current STi Wagon for starting out the 90's japanese series.

I dont think Aero/downforce is necessary on these cars at all. I tested several cars with tuning and they were all fine.

Are we still allowing 455pp for AWD cars? Thats what I have had my STi tuned to all along. Its slower on the straights but likes to breathe down peoples necks in the corners.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/1/15 1:25 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

No, tuner cars are not allowed, but Nismo is actually a part of Nissan so it's in a bit of a grey area. I didn't test any of those so I might have to double check there isn't a ringer hiding in there, but I think it'll be OK.

And yes, AWD cars are at 455pp.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/15 2:13 p.m.

Matt we would never use a ringer would we?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
12/1/15 2:20 p.m.

Thumbing through some old pics and found this one of my first 240sx from around 2002-2003. Anything look familiar?

s14 photo 100_0576.jpg

Figured you guys might get a kick out of that.

dean1484
12/1/15 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
12/1/15 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

That needs to be a meme

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/1/15 6:03 p.m.

Make your own here:

http://memegenerator.net/Tire-Marks/caption

You can also search for "tire marks" on the home page to get the background image.

dean1484
12/1/15 6:39 p.m.

Matt you are an evil genius. I went searching in my garage and in the dealerships and I have somthing like 25 weird cars to test for the 90s Japanese series.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
12/1/15 7:17 p.m.

I grabbed 8 cars and tuned them all to 450pp. They're all surprisingly close in HP and weight, so it could be anyone's guess. Didn't have time to do any laps, so I'll have to wing it tomorrow.

mrmudd583
mrmudd583 Reader
12/1/15 7:49 p.m.

for the 90s jap series , whats the deal on duplicates ? do we have to claim a car asap ? Im looking at alternate choices because im not sure you boys can handle getting beat by a carolla!!

Any 90s jap cars NOT allowed??

dean1484
12/1/15 8:31 p.m.

If I understand Matt one off tuners, prototypes and race cars are not allowed. Nismo may need to be looked at. I have two of them I what to test so we will see. I am excited I found a bunch of obscure weird cars.

I found somthing like 75 possible cars to choose from.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/1/15 8:40 p.m.

Mudd, right now I would tentatively say that we should limit to two of each car. It looks like that isn't an issue yet, and if I get beaten by a Corolla it better be beige!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
12/1/15 9:05 p.m.

I'd say for the spirit of the series, leave the tuner/specialty cars out. It'll weed out some possible ringers, plus it's not like there's a shortage of cars to choose from!

I'm eager to see Mudd and his Corolla try and beat us all to death with blandness. Too bad there's not a Camry in the game.

dean1484
12/1/15 9:10 p.m.

I found my panel van and it is AWD.

dean1484
12/1/15 9:11 p.m.

Ok it is more mini suv. But still great. Hoping I turns out to be like the range rover.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/1/15 9:11 p.m.

After some more tuning and practice the S2000 will get a 2pp HC. It's minor, but enough to get it back where it needs to be.

For the sake of consistency I'm also going to ban the Nismo models. There are only 2 models that fit the series and neither need to be included. The 270R is essentially just an S15 Silvia with a slightly better aero package and the GT-R LM Road Going Version '95 is a one off and definitely needs to be excluded.

dean1484
12/1/15 9:20 p.m.

No Nismo? Now I have to go find another cheater car... . I mean competitive car.. .

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/1/15 10:41 p.m.

start time puts this a bit late for me, since the Japanese cars were my prefrence ill still build a car but chasing Aircooled's little ghost around the time trials makes me realise i drive really sloppy!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/1/15 11:38 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

A late start for us on the East coast is the compromise for people on the West coast being able to attend. And following the ghost of Air or Spool can at times be both disheartening and educational. They both have taught me a lot about cleaning up my lines. Regardless, I look forward to seeing you out there!

dean1484
12/2/15 6:42 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I'd say for the spirit of the series, leave the tuner/specialty cars out. It'll weed out some possible ringers, plus it's not like there's a shortage of cars to choose from! I'm eager to see Mudd and his Corolla try and beat us all to death with blandness. Too bad there's not a Camry in the game.

I agree compleetly. And there is a camery in the game but it I listed as its Japanese market name. There is also a rwd version that I am also going to test. I lined up 25 cars all with base line tunes last night to test tonight. I am going to run four or five laps each then swap noting lap times and how they drive and see how they stack up. I have found thus to be a good way to get a baseline on cars. I will then tine on a couple of them and see what I end up with.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/2/15 6:44 a.m.

I thought about it, and the generic RWD tune I put on the S2000 might have been the tune for Mid-field raceway, the same tune sucked on Grand Valley full or east, I forgot which one. I still need to test it some more.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/2/15 7:22 a.m.

Mrmudd583, I personally think you should run the Corolla, it gives the field some diversity with a FF car, and a boring car at the same time.

Failboat, aero isn't allowed; you must have forgot the race when I ran my aero efiniti RX-7, and I smoked the field. It will make a huge difference with tracks with high speed corners.

Spoolpigeon, there is an Accord in the game for more blandness.

Even though I'm a FR guy (and would run the FD or S2000 most likely), to make sure the field is diverse, I will likely run the 91 NSX, we don't run that many MR cars, plus the general lack of production MR cars due to regular world factors.

dean1484
12/2/15 8:23 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I thought about it, and the generic RWD tune I put on the S2000 might have been the tune for Mid-field raceway, the same tune sucked on Grand Valley full or east, I forgot which one. I still need to test it some more.

It may have helped but I was testing with you and my s2000 was basically stock and it was much faster than all the other cars I drove that night.

dean1484
12/2/15 8:26 a.m.

Mudd needs to paint the corolla that medium grey with the purple hue that they used on those cars. I have a 1997 in my driveway that is that color. The ultimate nondescript color.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/2/15 9:11 a.m.

Given how much time I've spent testing for this series I'm going to wait and see what everyone else is using before deciding on a car. I have several cars that I like so I'll just pick one that no one else is using. I also bought some slightly less common cars last night to try out but haven't really done anything with them yet.

Spool, tonight is the final night of testing so you still have some time to pick and tune a car.

Clutch, I too hope to see good variance in cars and any drivetrain layout can be fast. Case in point, my 5 fastest cars in testing cover all 4 different layouts. FR cars are the easiest to tune but don't have an advantage overall.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eGapkFoxTMmnJjT4d10MwiBQPt5xRJ53cV61ACfV6ohwPF7ofeSHN53w2NSAq2u9