SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/12/15 9:27 p.m.

So I stated on another thread that I have yet to upgrade to an Xbox One. Since everyone else has moved on and I am stuck in 2013, I decided to pull out some old games and play them again. I knew some of you are still stuck in the world of Xbox 360 and even you guys with XB1s may want to play something you haven't before.

Tonight's review is going to be of the game RAGE. This game was released in 2011 and was a collaboration between id Software (of Doom fame) and Bethesda (of Fallout fame). These two companies came together and made what I feel is a pretty decent game. This game is primarily a first person shooter placed on a post apocalyptic Earth, but does involve driving and racing, which definitely adds a different element to a game that could be considered a ripoff of Borderlands or Fallout and Mad Max.

The graphics for 2011 are outstanding. Even today on my TV with my old 360, the graphics actually could go up against games released in 2014. The graphics are very fluid and quick, which makes for good gameplay.

The story line is definitely similar to most post-apocalyptic games. Basically, you need to survive. You do that by shooting the bad guys and collecting random crap you find while traveling around and selling it to buy supplies and ammo. While the game allows you to travel freely, the area isn't very large, but you travel to different "wastelands" as the game progresses, so you aren't stuck in the same small wasteland the entire game. So basically it isn't an open map like Fallout.

The weapons are pretty common with pistols, shotguns, automatic rifles, etc., but there are some cool upgrades in ammunition and other lethal objects like explosive RC cars or mind control bolts for your crossbow.

The vehicles are pretty cool, though you are limited. They are all off-road orientated, but you get weapons mounted to them and have other little accessories that help along the way.

Enemies are pretty consistent with what you'd meet in the post-apocalyptic world, ravaging gangs that you need to fend off or mutants that just want to kill you. It does get quite challenging at times and you do get challenged in the "Normal" mode. You also meet some interesting characters and some may have odd jobs just to make a little extra dough.

So what are the cons of the game? Well I'll tell you.

First off, the game (for 360) is three discs and none of them are an install disc. Its all game play straight from the disc. So, that leads us to the next issue at hand: The load times suck. It takes a good 45 seconds sometimes to get between the wasteland and whatever facility you're visiting.

My next issue is that the game play gets very repetitive. Basically anywhere you go, it's "Hey do this for me and I can do this for you" or "You can't do this until you do this, but first you need to do this other thing" type stuff for almost the entire game. Luckily you can get away from that with the racing, odd jobs, and random traveling of the wasteland.

Other than that, I find the game entertaining and challenging. If you like to go down to the video game place and find something used, I would suggest RAGE. They have this game for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

GRM Gamer Rating of: 3.5 Miatas.

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/12/15 10:36 p.m.

SBF. What are you doing. I just ordered Driver SF. (Which i hope arrives monday) Now by the looks of things I just gotta play this.

Really though I like games but have done a poor job of keeping up with them for years. I usually only buy or play less than 5 a year, mostly old and used. Thanks for the review.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/12/15 11:57 p.m.

Glad I can help.

Honestly though, I forgot to add one important thing, if you do play, take your time and do all the miscellaneous stuff. If you adhere to the actual game play, you will speed through the game pretty quick. There's several ways to make money and the best place to do that is Wellspring.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/13/15 5:28 p.m.

If aynone wants this for a PS3, cheap, let me know.

I have it. My PS3 was stolen. I tried playing it, but couldn't get into it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/13/15 9:47 p.m.

I enjoyed it. And sbf, im in the same boat as you on old 360 with no upgrade in sight. Link to your other old games reviews? I've about beat the deadspace trilogy again, then back through the fear series, and maybe mass effect series. But something new to me would be nice.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/14/15 9:54 a.m.

I like the idea of doing this type of thread. I'm still stuck in the last generation, and I've got a huge backlog of titles that I want to play before I get a XBone and/or PS4.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/14/15 10:27 a.m.

There's a Gamestop right down the road from work and Rage is $4.50 pre-owned with the discount card. I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Who knew this game had a cameo on Breaking Bad?

Too bad the lightgun setup isn't real, but I suppose they couldn't exactly have Jesse playing Duck Hunt.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
12/14/15 10:38 a.m.

I liked playing Rage a lot. My only complaint is that the game felt short even after doing all the side stuff and it left me wanting more.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/14/15 1:15 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I agree. This game I think was setup to have a sequel and never did.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/14/15 1:17 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I like the idea of doing this type of thread. I'm still stuck in the last generation, and I've got a huge backlog of titles that I want to play before I get a XBone and/or PS4.

I think anyone should make a review thread if you feel like it. Just remember, the rating system is 5 Miatas total.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/14/15 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I haven't done any other reviews, this was my first one, but if people are interested enough I can continue. I was actually planning on doing one for Driver: San Francisco because I also finished that one.

Like I said, other people are free to write reviews. I don't have PS and I don't play PC games and I know there are games for certain systems that weren't available for others.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
12/14/15 3:28 p.m.

I remember enjoying Rage when it came and thinking that it was awfully short.

I have both ps3 and 360. No chance I am getting a next gen system so learning about old games that rock is totally interesting to me.

I have played a bunch of games and could give a 10,000 ft on a lot of stuff if people want opinions.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/14/15 4:12 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: I like the idea of doing this type of thread. I'm still stuck in the last generation, and I've got a huge backlog of titles that I want to play before I get a XBone and/or PS4.
I think anyone should make a review thread if you feel like it. Just remember, the rating system is 5 Miatas total.

Ok, cool.

Like I said, I have a vast library of "last gen" titles that I could chime in on, and plenty of other games from the Atari 2600 era up until the PS3/360/Wii era. Plus, Gamestop recently had one of those "4 for $10" deals with some really good games on the list, and I picked up some games that would be perfect for this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7gp9K8yP5rb2mzYpVMdQqZESqXW9Qc8hku4JtGuQxoxZmWM8CjSk6IluWrY0yyM