1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/31/20 9:16 a.m.

I would highly recommend track limits to be off for Knockhill.  We had major issues with them when we ran the Formula Rookies there where 2 tires on track and 2 on the curb was a penalty, and with the sausage curbs will punish you plenty if you try to get liberal with how much curb you use.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/31/20 11:02 a.m.

I wonder if they tried to model how the brits do track limits in real life. They don't go by 2 wheels on the track is on the track, they do it if your tire goes outside the outside edge of the curb you are off track or soemthing along those lines.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/31/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Based on the experience in Formula Rookie series you may very well be right. It's just extremely difficult at a track like this that has extra paved area and sausage curbs to see where the actual curb ends and the other parts begin, especially at the chicane due to the elevation change.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/20 4:04 p.m.

With out curb limits the chicane will become a see how far we can jump the car to the next corner.  laugh

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/20 8:28 a.m.

So much for this.  I've been sent back to work as part of a skeleton crew.  It involves working until 7:30 every night.  At least I'm still getting paid.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
4/1/20 9:31 p.m.

Evening, y'all!

Sounds like it was a hoot on the "Irish-Scottish-where-the-heck-are-we?" track at Knockhill.  I had to depart early due to corrosion; skills so rusty I was a threat to the participants.  No, seriously.  I can't recall the last time I fired up the PS4 to run PC2, and to try running a race the second night after rediscovery, well...

Good news: my net connection doesn't suck.  laugh

I've got a lot of time on my hands, so you'll probably see me more frequently this season.

Now, to relearn how to frellin' drive...  blush

Tim B.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 10:42 p.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

It was a fun race. You should've stuck around and worked off the rust. Tonight was the first time in over a month I turned on my PS4 and until tonight had never driven on that track. I never got up to the pace of DK and Sauce, but wasn't terribly slower than Dean and Air. There were plenty of laps to learn the track. The hard part for me was remaining focused since the cars were so slow and the track relatively simple. We don't care too much if you are rusty, just join in and have fun.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
4/2/20 6:43 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Heh.  Yeah, I'd already been on the sim for over two hours at the point I surrendered to rust.  Between unfamiliarity with the controls and late hours (I start the day at 4am), it was time to go.

Tim B.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/20 9:31 a.m.

I had fun staying ahead of Air for a good number of laps at the end until I did a premature celebration spin crossing the line on what ended up being the 2nd to last lap. Call it a white flag celebration I guess. DK crossed the line a few seconds later so the screen said race complete. Air figured it out faster and too 4th. I sat there for a few seconds before realizing I had to do another lap. 

dean1484
4/2/20 12:19 p.m.

Well my adventure in to the pits cost me about 30 seconds or so but I don't think it really would have changed my finishing position. I am sure that if I had ended up being close to Sauce he would have held it and not pitted.  LOL

DK was on his game last night.  I ran a little bit on the clio cup cars and all I can say is that this is going to be really interesting.  Tire ware may be an issue with these and it is a completely different driving style.  

Air we have been challenged to come up with a series we need to discuss this as we have a real opportunity here. (And I am not sure I mean that in a good way)  laugh

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/3/20 2:52 p.m.

In case you didn't see it elsewhere Dirt Rally is one of the PS Plus free games this month.

Speaking of rally cars Dean, have we tried the Rally cars of regular tracks?

dean1484
4/4/20 10:25 p.m.

Sounds like I should try it!!  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/5/20 12:05 p.m.

Almost did some practicing yesterday, but went out in the yard and did some needed yardwork instead. I expect to continue not liking the Clios. I find them a bit irritating. Hoping that I will find simefun in them before the end of the 60 min race. 

dean1484
4/6/20 5:19 p.m.

Just forget about the back end of the car.  lift toss it in and add power and steering as needed.  They are a hoot to blast around a track in once you un-learn RWD handling!!!

T.J.(Adrian_Thompson Supporter)
T.J.(Adrian_Thompson Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I know that in principle. I liked the FWD touring car. The Clio just seems a little bit crazy. The fun way to drive it is not the fast way to drive it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/20 10:18 a.m.

Take a wild guess which way I am going to drive it.

T.J. (FS)
T.J. (FS) MegaDork
4/9/20 9:15 a.m.

This series is going about how I figured it would go for me. Not sure if I will stick to the no practicing rule or not, especially as the cars get faster. The Clios were fun in the end, but they could be way better with some tuning.

Raupuna is a new track for me. We ran it in one of the previous series, but that was a week I missed, so haven't driven it before.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/9/20 9:38 a.m.

Had fun last night.  DK and I were within a second of each other for most of the race and swapped the lead a few times as we each made mistakes.  I got REALLY lucky when I accidentally hit my controller and went to the main PS menu, had I not been on the back straight it would have been the race.  As it was I lost about 2 seconds that I had gained around the pit stop but stayed on track.

TJ, I'm also going into these with no practice and it's a bit of a mixed bag.  I think you might be right about it being almost necessary as the cars get faster, but for now I'm going to keep at it and see how it goes.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/9/20 12:02 p.m.

I found the cars pretty entertaining to drive, you definitely had to be subtle in how you drove them to get the best (smoothest) lines.  Fun when you got it right, and not generally terribly punishing when you got it wrong.  Although (as everyone seemed to notice) it was pretty easy to bust some track limits when you got it wrong.  Honestly, it's really the way I like cars to drive... yes weird...

I suspect the car could be a bit more irritating on a different track, but that track was pretty perfect for it.

I should also note, that last night should also be known for the first time Dean was refered to as "big butt".

Dean, I sent you a email about the HF jackstand recall (summary: they have issues a callback to all the stores for the SKU, but no official recall that I can tell yet)

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/20 10:24 a.m.

Updated the points.  I gave TJ 5th, he didn't deserve a 30 second penalty because I hit him off track.

Seems track limits penalties are causing more harm than doing good, should we kill them going forward?

Also, this is my excuse for poor performance:

dean1484
4/10/20 6:07 p.m.

Sure kill the track limits. I thought you were actually better this week Brad.  That explains a lot  laugh cheeky  wink

dean1484
4/11/20 1:15 p.m.

I am going to try and pull down the video I recorded Wednesday and edit down to the fun parts and post it up. 

dean1484
4/12/20 9:56 p.m.

OK.  I put this together.  Nothing fancy.  The one hour race of mine from 4/8/2020 cut down to about 20 minuts. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/20 10:01 p.m.
  1. That was a helluva start I got. Damn.
  2. That was just a love tap Dean, don't cut corners.
  3. I've been playing with GTSport, don't ever complain about the AI in PCars2 again. Holy hell. 
T.J. (FS)
T.J. (FS) MegaDork
4/13/20 8:21 a.m.

First lap I got caught up in Brad's re-joining into Dean's door. The 2nd lap, in about the same spot I came across Air who was going like 2 mph right on my line, so I swerved off the track to avoid him and lost a handful of seconds and ended up back in last place.  I knew after the first two laps, the race was going to be a challenge.

That was the same complex where Brad got me upside down after our pitstops. I think it was a fairly decent copy of what happened on lap 1 just that I didn't survive the contact as well as Dean. That resulted in me losing who knows how long while I was trying to comply with giving the place back while Brad insisted I go ahead of him plus a 30 second penalty. Lost nearly a whole lap I think. We started out not too far behind Air and by the time I was moving again Air was not too far behind me.

Dean, you and Air had some good close racing for a good portion of that replay. Brad and I had a good number of close laps like that as well.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdPx41pR8K9U3a7asQFUNNVzt3T8UnKAD7sotUAE93MO4TgzBVgJLdAuHxPVsSHt