1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
T.J. (FS but don't tell Dean)
T.J. (FS but don't tell Dean) MegaDork
4/16/20 7:51 a.m.

Next week's race is going to be a good one. Not sure if will be able to resist running some laps before Wednesday night.

Last night was ok. I was fairly solidly in 5th until I got turned around in the spaghetti bowl and took one of the sort cuts by mistake. That put me nearly a whole lap down on Brad, so I was pretty much relegated me to last place at that point, so for the last 45 minutes I just drove around for the most part trying not to get in anyone's way, waiting for the race to end.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/16/20 10:59 a.m.

I found it a pretty entertaining race.  I was, as evidenced by numerous slight collisions and slide offs, a biiitttt out of control sometimes, but the car was fun to drive.  LOTS of passing in the race (both ways) and which always makes the races more fun.

So far, I am really liking the cars / races.  Next week does look like fun.  The car is surprisingly stable, but passing will be.... impossible?  Hey, it is a F1 race, so a high speed parade would be appropriate.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/16/20 11:46 a.m.

I could not figure out how to consistently brake in the Ferrari. For turn 1 sometimes I could start braking at the apex of the little kink and make the turn ok. Sometimes I would start braking as soon as I could see the kink apex and then not make the turn. Maybe my speed was higher from a better exit from the last turn, but when you move your braking point back 5+ car lengths you should get things whoa'ed down sooner not later. Had a similar issue with the braking for the tight left hander leading into the spaghetti bowl. That car just seemed to be different each lap for me making it hard to turn consistent laps. I'm sure this is a result of no practicing and not something with the car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/20 12:08 p.m.
T.J. (FS but don't tell Dean) said:

You are an evil genius. laugh 

T.J.(Evil Genius)
T.J.(Evil Genius) MegaDork
4/16/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Why do you say that?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/16/20 1:19 p.m.

TJ is now scaring me...

I didn't have as much of an issue with the braking that others had.  The brakes where very sensitive, and very difficult balance between full braking and sliding, not surprising for no ABS, but a bit to sensitive.  That T1 was a bit of a killer though.  I would get as straight a shot as possible into the second (sharper) turn, but that meant if you missed judged it, you where going off. The best tactic seemed to be lighten up on the braking near the turn and slide the car into the turn.  That became more difficult as the tires wore.

T.J.(Not Scary Evil Genius)
T.J.(Not Scary Evil Genius) MegaDork
4/16/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I really don't know what you guys are going on about.

dean1484
4/16/20 5:14 p.m.

I was thinking my last post was going to break the internet but it did not.  

T.J.(Not Scary Evil Genius)
T.J.(Not Scary Evil Genius) MegaDork
4/16/20 5:46 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I LOLed. Not the emoji, the real thing. You win biggest group of emojis I've ever seen award.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/16/20 6:03 p.m.

Not sure why, but TJ does not scare me as much now.

dean1484
4/17/20 12:01 p.m.
T.J.(Not Scary Evil Genius) said:

In reply to dean1484:

I LOLed. Not the emoji, the real thing. You win biggest group of emojis I've ever seen award.

I was doing that post on my workstation and it was lugging it down bad.  It was working my ram (128 GB) and the CPU (3950X) a bit.  I was wondering if it would actually post or not but it worked!!! My graphics card does not even twitch at that.  I also noticed that the Ethernet conection was pegging at its max.  

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/20 6:50 p.m.

It's been a helluva day. I'm likely going to just spectate tonight. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
4/22/20 7:53 p.m.

I just reacquired PC2 to give it another chance.  After turning off all the camera motion crap I was actually able to get in a couple decent laps today.  There is definitely going to be some adjustment coming from primarily GTSport and Assetto Corsa but I think a few days of pracitce and I might be able to get into it.  Unfortunately I'm at work during your race times.

My username is eles3_pony if anyone wants to add me.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/20 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Just sent a request

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/22/20 8:00 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

If you spectate, who will I have to race against? 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/23/20 12:57 a.m.
Patientzero said:

I just reacquired PC2 to give it another chance....

If you want to do a performance comparison. We were running Brands Hatch in Lotus 49's with no tuning. Typical lap time where right about 1:30, semi-human times where 1:28.

Be warned, with no tuning it's a strange handling car.  Generally very stable but takes a bit of a technique to get it to turn.

dean1484
4/23/20 12:16 p.m.

Sorry I missed last night I could not keep my eyes open eating dinner and was done after that. Woke up to my phone beeping from brads invite. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/23/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That's a good data point, but I'm not sure that's a car I would recommend trying to someone relatively new to the game. It just doesn't drive like anything else in the game, or any other game for that matter. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/23/20 12:51 p.m.

And at this point I'm just adding posts to get us to the next page and away from Dean's insane post. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/23/20 12:52 p.m.

Still going. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork

Gotta be getting close. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork

Doh!