1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/11/20 7:32 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

This may sound stupid, but the best advice I can give is to go faster. As you approach the limit this car has a weird range that basically feels the same, so 90-95% of the limit feels the same as 100%. Just keep cranking up your entry speeds and getting on throttle sooner until it doesn't stay on track. You really have to keep throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks as the car will let you do things it doesn't seem like you should be able to get away with. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/11/20 8:59 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/20 11:50 p.m.

I tested tonight and tried the stable and loose setup and it is interesting that I turned my fastest time in the stable car and the stable car is much easier in the tires to the point where I think a tire change would not be needed. However as the tires do ware the car starts to require a little lift in the up hill eases. 

The loose setup really wares the front tires and it also suffered from a lack of front grip as the tires wore. Adjusting brake bias to the rear at the start helps reduce front tires ware but the car can be a bit twitchy on turn in. Since we have to pit for fuel a tire change will be needed with the loose setup but this then will allow you to put softs on and testing on softs was interesting. It made driving the same lap times much easier pushing the softs really did not pick up appreciable speed. I think this was because I was actually scrubbing off more speed on turn in to the apex but I could get on power much sooner but I was trying to be carful to not have as much slip angle on power coming out of corners like the  hard tires like. 

My fuel usage seems to be 2.6l per lap. 

If it matters my fast lap was a 1:54.2. Race pace will be much slower. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/12/20 7:07 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I haven't tried the stable setup or softs yet. I've been running brake bias at 51/49. I thought we'd have enough fuel for the whole race. 

dean1484
5/12/20 8:08 a.m.

Bias at 48/52 helps the front tires live longer but with the loose setup you can over rotate on turn in. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/12/20 11:27 a.m.

I did a half of a lap with the stable setup. Decided that was enough. I like the loose setup better. I maybe should've waited till I got some heat in the tires, but, oh well.

I haven't done any longer runs, but tire wear doesn't seem like it will be an issue. I guess I either need to do a 30 minute stint or so, or just play it by ear Wednesday and be flexible as to what strategy I end up using.

dean1484
5/12/20 3:55 p.m.

Did you let the tires get warm?  It takes a couple laps with for the tires to come up to temp

dean1484
5/13/20 3:09 p.m.

I am going to miss tonight  :-(  

I am doing work things at a site untill late tonight (has to be done after hours)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/13/20 5:08 p.m.

Wait a minute. I thought tonight was Ford GTE at Nurburgring GP, but the schedule says Radicals at Willow Springs?

Has that always been there? Have we collectively lost our minds or did Brad slide in a new race?laugh

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/13/20 5:26 p.m.

Hah!  It looks like you are right.  I think someone misread the schedule and we all went with it!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/13/20 5:31 p.m.

Some sort of mass delusion. Maybe that's a new COVID symptom. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/20 5:32 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I have no concept of time anymore. It was probably me. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/13/20 5:38 p.m.

Driver 13 caught it. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/13/20 5:50 p.m.

That's funny, and probably good for Dean as he doesn't miss his favorite track. The upside is that the Radical is super easy to drive and we all know Willow. 

dean1484
5/13/20 6:53 p.m.

Ohh man. Is it big willow?  I like that track!!!  Little willow is TJs virtual home track. 

dean1484
5/13/20 6:57 p.m.

My view tonight

it sounds like a jet engin idling. The tips of the blades are really moving fast.

BradLTL
5/13/20 8:38 p.m.
e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/14/20 9:15 a.m.

How did the race go?  It ended up taking the kid about 15 minutes to get sorted out and back to sleep so bailing was the right call, but I'm a bit disappointed I missed it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/14/20 10:37 a.m.

Hmmm... for some reason it's all a bit hazy for me,  I do remember a cone.  I really liked that cone.... then it was gone.  Cut down by a callous act.  Revenge...revenge is a dish best served by a bumper....

That's about all I got.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/14/20 10:42 a.m.

It lasted right about 60 minutes.

BradLTL
5/15/20 8:30 p.m.

Next week will be our inaugural "Sips and Straights" event. Participating is optional, however will result in bonus points. Drinks must be declared and topped off prior the start of the race. Once the race starts you will be required to drink as you go down the front straight every lap. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/15/20 11:10 p.m.

Finally, something I have experience with.... wait.... did I ever start that race?

dean1484
5/15/20 11:25 p.m.
BradLTL said:

Next week will be our inaugural "Sips and Straights" event. Participating is optional, however will result in bonus points. Drinks must be declared and topped off prior the start of the race. Once the race starts you will be required to drink as you go down the front straight every lap. 

Is this with the ford at the Ring or is this another event?  

dean1484
5/15/20 11:26 p.m.

If you run out of drink befor the end of the race do you have to pit and go get another?  

BradLTL
5/16/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's part of your race strategy. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u0jFiU7DhmZRuPapyOu6kqnsytNEXDSAbl3qvm468b5U2HOMpqNQHHnIOXTknpDs