1 ... 10 11 12 13
oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
3/5/18 9:50 a.m.

A weekend "wasted" on house repairs and chasing maintenance after that little spot o' weather bother.  Wind gusts of 70+ and rotted fence posts made for an interesting day of cleanup.  I haven't touched the race rig other than to dust it off, so I've got my usual bit of catching up to do.

Dean, what'd you end up getting for headphones?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/18 5:12 p.m.
oldrotarydriver said:

A weekend "wasted" on house repairs and chasing maintenance after that little spot o' weather bother.  Wind gusts of 70+ and rotted fence posts made for an interesting day of cleanup.  I haven't touched the race rig other than to dust it off, so I've got my usual bit of catching up to do.

Dean, what'd you end up getting for headphones?

I ended up with the PS gold I think.  It was about $80 less then the Turtle beach 800 and I tested them side by side at the stor and the PS ones seemed better and the controls seemed better as well.  I also was kind of sold on the fact that they are made by Sony or at lease specked by Sony so they should play nicer with my ps4.  I have used them now a couple times and I really like them.  

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/18 8:36 p.m.

Not that it matters for anything but I managed a 1:03.995 today. The rest of my laps varied between 4s and low 5s. I probably should practice with traffic to see how that changes how I approach the lap. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/5/18 10:08 p.m.

I too dipped into the 1:03's tonight and agree that it doesn't matter.  Fast lap pace is just bragging rights for starting position and the separation to the bot pack.

BradLTL
3/6/18 6:19 a.m.

I’m wondering if we should up the bots pace for this race?

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/6/18 7:14 a.m.
BradLTL said:

I’m wondering if we should up the bots pace for this race?

I've been running with them at 75% and they run consistently in the 1:06-1:07 range. 

BradLTL
3/6/18 7:20 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Are they hard to drive with at 75%? I was thinking 85%

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/18 7:45 a.m.

Look familiar Air?  Just brought this home.  My new project.  Corsa convertible w/ factory ac.  No rust anywhere.  Literally a barn find.  Sat in a barn under a tarp for 20 years.  Now I have to go through it and get it running again.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/6/18 8:41 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Not really, pretty much the same just harder to pass. I'm up for trying 85%, but I suspect the jump in pace will be significant. At 80% the bots start to use custom setups rather than default so they might be pretty close to our pace. 

dean1484
3/6/18 4:49 p.m.
Argo1 said:

Look familiar Air?  Just brought this home.  My new project.  Corsa convertible w/ factory ac.  No rust anywhere.  Literally a barn find.  Sat in a barn under a tarp for 20 years.  Now I have to go through it and get it running again.

That is so cool Argo!!!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/6/18 7:50 p.m.

Interesting.  That's a 1966 Corsa 140 with air. Not a common car, even with the massive over representation of Corsa's in surviving Corvairs. That high mount AC bracket is rather rare.  20 years under a tarp eh?  That sounds good, but it still means it could have been driven for 30 years before it was put under the tarp!  No little pin holes in the front floors?

Why 66: Condenser on the firewall (65 was over the motor), 140 motor (not offered after 66 generally)

Why Corsa:  Had to be a Corsa to get a 140, and I can see what appears to be Argent Silver on the rear cove.

I can tell it's a convertible also because of the extra bracing on the left frame rail.

What color? Has it been repainted?  Post the option tag on the rear frame rail, I can can look up the other options delivered on the car and it's original color.  Does it still have the "cocktail shakers" in the fenders?  Those where needed because the convertibles where very flexy and had bad cowl shake.

Of note: Corvair mechanical fuel pumps are in a bit of a crisis these days. You can buy new ones, but word is they don't last long. They fail by leaking from the seals, which is bad, because the HB can spray gas all over the engine compartment.  Other failure might be the lower seal which will fill the crankcase with gas which is very bad.

Are you aware of the common rust spots?

OK, looking at the picture again I see an issue.  Not a big one, but a question.  The drivetrain appears to be 1965, but the AC is clearly 66. At least the diff and sheet metal are. Why? Because I see what appears to be a differential dipstick on the right firewall area.  That was only on 65 cars.  Something to figure out.  Post the engine number (on the case, right in front of the fuel pump covered in grease).

Argo1
3/6/18 11:49 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

A trained Corvair eye you have.  It is a bit of an enigma.  I'm still researching but Chevy didn't keep detailed records back then.  By VIN it is a 65 Corsa.  But it has the C64 all weather air conditioning factory installed.  It is also original Corcus Yellow paint but does not have the "Corvair" script on the front trunk or front facia.  It has the AD code 3.55 Posi.  No shakers, no pinholes.  Haven't gone through everything to see what I bought yet.  It was a "ran when parked" that I have lots to learn about.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/7/18 12:16 a.m.

Well, you can end up with no script if it’s a 65 with a 66 hood, but that does not explain the AC.  There is a possibility that the car was “rebodied”.  This was not entirely uncommon with 66 cars in CA since 66’s have smog pumps in CA and required yearly smog checks back in the day (I smogged my 66 by having it tested as a 65 then altering the paperwork to 66 before sending it to the DMV!).  If that is the case then the engine was likely swapped.

Does it have rear seat belts?  Does it have seat belt mounts under the rear seat.  If so, it’s likely a 66 body.  What color is in the emblem on the hood lock cover.  Is the steering column one piece, or does it have a joint in it? We may have to talk about looking at the hidden VIN....

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/7/18 7:39 a.m.

Back on topic... 

Dean and I ran some laps last night with the bots at 85% and they're definitely quicker, mostly 1:05's with the slow guy at 1:06.1. They're fine to drive with (kept the aggression at 40) but it isn't as easy to catch and pass them. If you have a major incident it'll be a challenge to get caught back up and through the field. 

BradLTL
3/7/18 1:08 p.m.

I'll run them at 80% tonight.  That should make them a bit quicker and hopefully not moving chicanes during our race.

dean1484
3/7/18 5:58 p.m.

Should be fun tonight. Running with sauce last night I was sloppy and not as fast as the night before but just getting laps in helped. I think we got close to 70 laps or more. 

dean1484
3/7/18 6:04 p.m.

With faster bots qualifying is going to be way more important.

dean1484
3/8/18 10:44 a.m.

Good fun last night. My tangle with brad and then I think a bot also put me nose in to the wall by pit put on the first lap putting me dead last. So I hunkered down and went after it. I clawed my way back up to 4th. It was good fun trying to get around Argo. Our lines in a couple corners were very different but it meant we had to be very careful as meeting at the apex was an option. I was faster going in to the corners while Argo was better coming out so it made for a couple laps of fun close racing.  I eventually got by Argo (or he let me by) and I set sail for brad but I ran out of time and by then my frount tires had given up enough grip that I was not getting good rotation in the corners so things stabilized for the last couple laps.  

All in all all great fun. I am looking forward to testing and the next season. 

BradLTL
3/8/18 11:19 a.m.

My race started in the same place as Dean...like literally. My gears probably should have been more optimized, at the start it appeared that I got a better jump than Sauce or Air but once they got going they pulled ever so slightly away going into T1. I didn’t figure that was a big deal since I knew I could take the first corner flat out and everyone else lifted slightly. I get to the turn in and start to make my turn and suddenly there is the orange nose of a car in my side and we are tracking out wide. I was generally pointed the right direction still so I kept my foot in it. The orange car appeared to right itself and then disappeared. I rejoined the track now in 6th. I figured I was in for a tough fight for the rest of the race, but was surprised at how quickly I was able to catch up to Argo in 3rd. 

Catching someone is one thing, getting passed is another. Argo ran some uh... interesting.. lines in several corners. They were significantly different than mine. Not faster, but different enough that I had to check up in inopportune times. I would catch him, check up and let him get away. This went on for several laps. Finally he went extra wide out of Luffield and I positioned inside. I figured we would be side-by-side by track out so I left a little room, but then he wasn’t there anymore. I guess he was having trouble with his tires and ended up sliding around. 

Nonetheless, next on my list was Air. I figured he was faster, but I really wanted to make him prove it. He was 6ish seconds ahead of me at this point. I worked and got it down to maybe 4.5 before he caught Rotarian, using a bit of draft he stretched out a bit again. I was hoping to use the draft to catch that back up and ended up timing in a good place to draft down the back straight when Rotarian looped it. So, I was on my own to try and make up now 7 seconds with 10 minutes left in the race. I tried eeking any and everything I could from the laps, but honestly I probably ended up slower for it. I could see Air just out of reach on each of the straights, but never closed the gap. Still P3 was a good finish in our closest race to date. 

I’ll try and get the replay and points done later this afternoon. 

Argo1
3/8/18 2:39 p.m.

My first laps on the track were last night and that would come back to bite me during the race. I just ran the Brands setup that I didn't get to use last week. I didn't really have the pace and started 5th.

Brad and Dean gifted me 3rd at the start and I set out to keep Air and Sauce in sight...a futile effort. This quickly exposed the fact that my starting tire pressures were too high and my tires jumped up to 25 psi. That had me sliding all over in the corners.

First Brad and then Dean caught up.  I had my gearing right and could pull out a little on the straights but gave it all back plus some in the turns. It became pointless to try and keep them behind.

In the end I finished where I started.  I'm ready for some cars with fenders. I never really got these figured out.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
3/8/18 3:03 p.m.

Yeah, sorry about that Brad.  I just didn't have the pace, or the lines, and barely enough grip.  Turn 1 was Neo's 'Leap of Faith' in the Matrix, and damn if I didn't kiss the pavement each and every lap.  Burning through there 'slideways' every time, and never figured out the last turn complex before the start/finish.  Best lap was 1:05 and a pocket full of change, while you fine folk were in the 3's and below(?).  Hell, I could barely run with the bots near the end.

Wish I had a screen cap of the cool-down lap, my car was maybe two body panels from being a Ariel Atom.  cheeky

BradLTL
3/8/18 4:00 p.m.

Some nice visuals courtesy of RS-Dash..

First Race position changes and gaps:

Then more specific to me:

Those actually prove my assumption above.  I was really trying to push the last few laps to catch Air.  You can see my FL tire pretty dramatically increasing in temp as I lean on it harder and harder through the corners.  But it didn't help, you can see that by my lap times dropping (on average).  Meh. 

BradLTL
3/8/18 4:15 p.m.

Final points updated and the replay mostly posted.

dean1484
3/8/18 4:52 p.m.

That graph is cool. It proves that there was a bot in the mix with brad and I. I think had it just been the dust up between brad and I I would have slotted in around eighth but the bot finished me off and like I said I ended up nose in to the wall by pit out a bit past turn one. 

I actually liked turn one and the last complex of turns. It was the second complex before the back strait that I never felt like I was getting right. 

dean1484
3/8/18 4:53 p.m.

I was going to run some tonight but the fiber line that comes to my house snapped last night so no internet phone or tv for a while. 

1 ... 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QS6VhuRaQuGm5i8s42P5T9akOHXLHwOJzzVDw7I97R7EvmKJhvEbEryiWqSMPsCl