1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/18 11:46 p.m.

Brad, the handling on your M6 really looks evil.  Wallowing all over, under damped, never taking a set in the corners.  Bodywork appearing to bottom out.  I give you props for keeping it on the track at that pace.  All the other cars looked smooth and tidy.  Nice dramatic flourish at the finish Air.  If I remember right it took me 4 races to finish with the nose of my 911 still on the car...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/18/18 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Pole was in the 1:25s, but I don't remember exactly. Maybe 1:25.6. I know I got 1:25.8 on my second quali lap and it was not better than my first run. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/18 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

I would never have gone there except the AI car was very slow and went wide in to the corner and left the door wide open THEN as I committed it came down. The point is had it been a human that would never had happened. This is two weeks in a row that the AI has impacted my finish by being completely unpredictable. That has completely infuriated me. If it had been you or any other of the humans neither of my incidents in the last two races would have happened. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/18 6:19 a.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Actually no. It looks like it is moving all over during the replay but is easy to drive. It’s weird, I thought the same thing watch the first round replay. I wonder if it is the fidelity of me being the host?

I think it could stand for some additional tuning, but the requires time. I’d need work to stop kicking my ass for that to really happen. 

I was surprised that I wasn’t further back at the end of this one. Dean’s rage quit helped 1 place. My driving was less than spectacular. I was only able to run 10-11 practice laps, plus 3 in qualifying. So there wasn’t any consistency. I just tried to not make a big mistake. I made tons of small ones and had a half spin to let TJ by, but that was it. 

My tires dropped off with 9 minutes to go. That made all my small mistakes just that much larger. Air caught up, but seemed to be struggling with his tires as well. I’d make a mistake and he would catch up, then he would make a mistake and and drop back. That was basically my last 9 or so minutes of the race. 

BradLTL
4/19/18 6:26 a.m.

Not that I’m in a hurry to rush to the defense of the AI, or rub salt in a wound, but....

Dean, the pass attempt on the AI was a bit ambitious. You hadn’t even established a different line to it until after it was turning. In your defense, they are terribly slow through that corner. I suspect a little patience there, then making the pass into the next corner would have given you a gap to TJ. 

You ran a great race, you should have won. This game bites you on any lapses of concentration or judgment . 

dean1484
4/19/18 8:00 a.m.

EXCEPT there was no lack of concentration. I was watching the AI car Exceptionally  carefully.  Had it held its line wide there would not have been an issue. Had it driven a "normal" line and turned in normally I would not have committed.  It was exceptionally bad timing between me and the AI car but even so had it been a human this would never had had happened. I passed many of the AI cars in that same corner in practice leading up to the race.  This one car was slow and wide and then basically late apexes.  I saw it but I was committed to the corner.  

There is a big down side to the Bentley and it is once you commit to a line in a corner you really can not change it that much. You have to set up a corner before you get there and commit to your plan going through it.  Being a big heavy car once the momentum is moving in a direction changing that does not work very well. 

It really REALLY sucks.  I actually practiced allot for this race.  It is the one track I know well and like driving.  If I had just screwed up and gone off on my own I can live with that with out issue.  Even my dust up with air last week was partially my fault I knew he was having issues with the curbs and probably should have given him more room but again I was committed with my cars trajectory through the esses and I got a big run and could not avoid a spinning Air. 

This is an AI issue.  They seem to be incredibly unpredictable and do things that no human driver would do.  Who runs a competitor off the road on a strait? (ok Air might run me off a strait wink)  But it is the AI's unpredictability that is ruining this game/sim for me.  The developers need to spend a bit less time on the ridiculous amount of adjustments on the cars and focus on better algorithms for the AI. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/19/18 8:09 a.m.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to run last night but my foot was a bit too painful to be able to do a full race session, much less some practice and qualifying. Hopefully I'll be back next week. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/19/18 8:14 a.m.

I think the issue may be the level of the AI. The faster we make them the better their lines and more consistent they are. We may need to run a couple practice sessions with the same or lower aggression and higher skill and see what shakes out. It will make finishing higher more difficult if something happens, but may make the racing better. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/19/18 8:54 a.m.

What is a decent lap time at Silverstone? I think I am way off the pace so far. I can keep up with the AIs for the most part, but need to practice more to be able to do more than 4 or 5 laps without an issue. Haven't really done any set up changes yet since I cannot drive consistent laps yet.

Argo1
4/19/18 9:07 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

One thing that I have observed about the AI is that each car has different tendencies.  They make mistakes and go off just like we do.  The ones at the back of the field are slowest and make the most mistakes.  This means extra caution as you approach lapped cars.  Not really much different than in a real race.  The back markers are struggling with their own race and may or may not see you.

Argo1
4/19/18 4:08 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Looking at the leaderboards, 2 minutes even is a pretty quick lap.

dean1484
4/19/18 4:10 p.m.

When a car is coming up behind you on the longest strait of the track not seeing them is not an acceptable excuse.  There is no arguing that this is probably the best racing to date but there is no defending the fact that this aspect of it is far from perfect and is impacting the quality of it.  What has happened to me in the last two races is not reality or a simulation it is a deficiency in the game that has bit me twice in as many races. 

BradLTL
4/19/18 4:22 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You would have hit me too.  In my opinion you were too far back to even attempt to make that pass.  You may have been committed to the corner, but as the over taking car it is your responsibility to do so cleanly.  Where did you expect the AI to go?  Just pull over to the side of the road?  This isn't F1 man.

At the Monza race, I would not have made the move you did (the other side of the track was pretty wide open) but the bot did squeeze you off the road there for sure.

If you watch last night's replay TJ and I both pass the green Z4 in turn 1.  You can see the AI's logic twitching away from having side to side contact with either of us, even to the point of running off the track.  They are far from perfect, but they aren't the worst thing either.  My main complaint is them rear-ending you in a brake zone.

I get that it salt in the wound and I'm really not trying to argue with you... I just don't see it the same way.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/19/18 5:02 p.m.
BradLTL said:

In reply to dean1484 :

You would have hit me too.  In my opinion you were too far back to even attempt to make that pass.  You may have been committed to the corner, but as the over taking car it is your responsibility to do so cleanly.  Where did you expect the AI to go?  Just pull over to the side of the road?  This isn't F1 man.

At the Monza race, I would not have made the move you did (the other side of the track was pretty wide open) but the bot did squeeze you off the road there for sure.

If you watch last night's replay TJ and I both pass the green Z4 in turn 1.  You can see the AI's logic twitching away from having side to side contact with either of us, even to the point of running off the track.  They are far from perfect, but they aren't the worst thing either.  My main complaint is them rear-ending you in a brake zone.

I get that it salt in the wound and I'm really not trying to argue with you... I just don't see it the same way.

I have to agree with pretty much all of this.  Watching the replay I knew an incident was coming, but in real time was surprised about where.  I also thought you were too far back to make a move there and wasn't ready for it.  

As for the AI, the way it seems to me is that you need to be in a proper spot to challenge for position at the point on track where the AI decides its line.  It doesn't constantly reevaluate the situation, once the AI decides its line it doesn't change until the next decision point, which may be at the exit of the next corner or on the next straight.  So for instance, the reason Dean was run off the road at Monza was because when it decided to move to the normal outside line he wasn't occupying enough of that space so the AI treated it like no one was there. It's the same reason we ended up with an AI car upside down at pit entry in one of the Formula Rookie races: he ran wide at the exit of the last turn so I took the inside at exit, but it had already made the decision to pit and was clear at that time so he wrecked both of us hard trying to get there.  Is it ideal?  No, things change very quickly and if the AI can't react it makes things difficult. However, given the software and system limitations I think it's as good as it can be.

That said, this game really should improve blue flags if they exist.  While I agree the passing responsibility lies on the overtaking car, lap traffic really should be making reasonable room for the leaders to get past, which doesn't happen.  You shouldn't have to make a legit passing move or force the issue to get past a lap car.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/19/18 5:10 p.m.
Argo1 said:

In reply to T.J. :

Looking at the leaderboards, 2 minutes even is a pretty quick lap.

Unless we're looking at different leaderboards 2 minutes even is a VERY quick lap.  If Monza times are any indication I'd expect laps easily 2-3 seconds slower.

dean1484
4/19/18 5:41 p.m.

Yes I am annoyed about this.  Probably more than I should be but I should not have to work to pass an back marker AI car when battling for the lead.  

Last week I get run off the road on a strait by and AI car.  This week I have an AI car that appears to be going wide and not defending and then decides to defend.

dean1484
4/19/18 5:49 p.m.

Re last week I came up on the left and the car was blocking that line so I went to the right to make the pass as I had more speed.  The AI car just came over to the right (not fast or anything) just casually came across as if I was not even there and squeezed me off the track.  I may be wrong on this but I believe that I started to the left and the AI went to the left so I came back to the right where the track was open and started to make the pass.  It was a strait does it matter what side I am on I have the momentum and was faster.  Does this mean that when one of you come up on me I can block on the straits?  If so you all are going to hate trying to pass me.  devil

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/19/18 5:55 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

What are these leaderboards?  I watched an AOR race on youtube and it looked like 2:02 or so is what they were doing. I'm a long ways off that pace so far. 

Argo1
4/19/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

After a couple of recon laps, you are probably right. The two minute laps must be bonsai laps with no fuel or tire wear.  I had a pretty good Brands setup.  That completely sucks at Silverstone.  Much different track and track surface.

The leaderboards that I look at are here:  

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboardhttp://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

Argo1
4/19/18 6:11 p.m.
dean1484 said:

If so you all are going to hate trying to pass me.  devil

Is this a change?

dean1484
4/19/18 6:14 p.m.

Argo I will never be able to make my car as wide as I have seen you do it.  You are the zen master of this.  smiley

BradLTL
4/19/18 6:15 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Argo I will never be able to make my car as wide as I have seen you do it.  You are the zen master of this.  smiley

He speaks truth 

BradLTL
4/19/18 6:18 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to e30Matt :

What are these leaderboards?  I watched an AOR race on youtube and it looked like 2:02 or so is what they were doing. I'm a long ways off that pace so far. 

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1641471184&vehicle=1934199723

Argo1
4/19/18 6:21 p.m.

wink

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
4/19/18 10:29 p.m.
dean1484 said:

+2, I still vividly remember how wide he made an NA Miata on the front straight on Willow Springs in the Spec Miata series.  The track is at least 5 Miatas wide and I couldn't get past him, and he only used one move.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SjZoQXbVn5IcYoy8bBaHD9phkiBpc6I0mTIIPrOnSlsfgiIrydvOYJPPCQlRLT0K