1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/3/18 3:54 a.m.

Andrew,

I'll send you the car setup I used last night. I don't expect to use the same setup without tweaks at any of the upcoming tracks, but I had the car setup pretty much like I wanted for Algarve. I'm interested to see if my setup works for others. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/18 6:56 a.m.

It was a challenging but somehow uneventful race. I had to defend against an AI that got a good start but settled back in behind Dean. He had a little more pace than I did so my plan was just to wait on him to make a mistake. It worked kinda, except it was me that made the mistake. I got caught up in watching Dean’s car and got a bit offline was late on the brakes and managed a half spin. That gave Dean a gap of about 8 seconds. It more or less stayed there for the rest of the race. 

The track is pretty challenging. My shoulders were pretty tight at the end of the race. 

I’ll upload the replay this morning. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/3/18 7:10 a.m.

My ISP messed up from their end which is why I couldn't get online for a while, and had to revert to the old settings just to have any internet. In terms of races to miss this one doesn't really bother me, I don't much care for this track. Hopefully tonight I'll have everything fixed. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/3/18 7:57 a.m.

Not sure if I'll make it next week or not. It's my anniversary next Wed. 

Hopefully, but I'll have to see. 

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
5/3/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I'll give it a try. 

Didn't realize how draining realistic sim racing could be lol. (used to earlier GT games, far less difficult) After about 3 hours driving my wrists were not to happy.

Frustrated with my performance last night. Drove an hour of practice laps with most laps being pretty clean and somewhat consistent. Got in to qualifying and spun or half spun 3 laps in a row, the race itself I made mistake after mistake. 

For the beginning 20 minutes every time I'd get a turn or 2 away from passing the 2 last AI like ever 3 laps and then I'd make a mistake and fall behind again. If i had run consistently clean laps like practice I probably could have fought my way up to at least 7th or 8th even after going far off track in turn 3 on lap 1. Did manage to put down the second fastest lap time of the race, not sure how because I could never achieve that time in practice. 

Ran one practice lap of next weeks track last night, while not as many elevation changes in the sweeping turns as Algarve, it is a pretty fast track with some tight technical spots. Should be interesting. 

BradLTL
5/3/18 9:39 a.m.

Points updated.  Replay posted.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/6/18 1:20 p.m.

How do Italians build beatiful cars but boring racetracks. Imola is barely more fun than Monza. Mostly flat out sections punctuated by chicanes. There are some tricky turns, but overall a fairly uninteresting track for me. 

Did some laps this morning but after 4-5 laps I lose interest. Makes it hard to work on a setup. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/18 4:24 p.m.

Last week's track is more my style...but I missed it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/18 5:06 p.m.

Anyone testing tonight?

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/6/18 6:31 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I might be around.  I still haven't fixed my internet, but as long as TJ doesn't show up I could run some laps.  I don't recall off hand if I know Imola or not so it's probably best if I run some laps.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/6/18 8:51 p.m.
T.J. said:

How do Italians build beatiful cars but boring racetracks. Imola is barely more fun than Monza. Mostly flat out sections punctuated by chicanes. There are some tricky turns, but overall a fairly uninteresting track for me. 

It seems like most old tracks where basically build as all out speed tracks, with turns being there primarily as a way to turn around and go fast again.  When they update them, they add chicanes.

Argo1
5/6/18 11:06 p.m.

The fewer the chicanes, the more I like the track.  Laguna, Road America, Sears Point, etc.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/7/18 8:29 a.m.

Not sure if I will make it Wedmesday, but have done some practicing at Imola just in case. I still haven't ran more than 5 or 6 laps in a single stint yet, so I am way behind my usual preparations, but I was out of town Thursday-Saturday. Typically by Monday I've run several full 30 minute AI races.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/7/18 12:28 p.m.

Did a 30min AI race during lunch. AIs set to 90/35, everything else set per page 1. Going to try a couple tweaks to my setup to see if I can improve in a couple corners. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/7/18 9:50 p.m.

I ran a few laps this evening, the car needs some tweaks and I need to learn the track better but overall I'm not disappointed with my starting point, at least for the feel.  Time-wise, according to the leaderboards there is a lot of time left out there.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/7/18 10:56 p.m.

I actually got a bit of practice. The track is not too hard to learn, I predict a solid mid-pack finish.

I did finally figure out my turn in issue (always seemed to turn in late), and the reason I don’t like ABS... it kills the turn in.  I need to get off the brakes to get the car to turn.

I am a bit worried about killing the tires under braking.  Is everyone else getting some tire screeching under hard braking?  It seems like the ABS should stop that, but it always seems to be there.

Argo1
5/7/18 11:28 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The amount of tire noise is adjustable.  Check your settings.  Some people like it turned up so they can hear how much they are leaning on the tires.  I have mine up enough to hear them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/8/18 8:15 a.m.

I have the tire noise turned up a bit, I am just worried I am actually sliding a bit.  It’s louder then when I am cornering so I think I tend to under brake because of it.

BradLTL
5/8/18 8:18 a.m.
aircooled said:

I have the tire noise turned up a bit, I am just worried I am actually sliding a bit.  It’s louder then when I am cornering so I think I tend to under brake because of it.

If you watch the replays you'll hear my tires screaming for mercy.  They'll be fine.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/8/18 9:03 a.m.

I still need to work on my setup. I have it now where I like it overall, but I end up in trouble in a few places if I touch the curbs where I just loop around. Going to try raising my front ride height and maybe softening front springs a bit. Front dampers (fast) already at minimum. Don't want to lower front bar, but may have to try that. I cab avoid the troublesome curbs most of the time, but it seems like about every 10 laps I end up in the sand  because I touched a curb. Usually happens at the first chicane. The AIs are also better and coming off the final left turn onto the front straight, but I think this one is down more the my technique than my setup.

I'm never quite sure what the tire sounds are trying to tell me. There is a low sound that sounds like they are just working and gripping, there is a squeal when they are complaining, the braking noise is confusing. I'm never sure if I should brake to just avoid that sound that sounds like lockup assuming that is where ABS kicks in. I guess I could just turn ABS off and see how that goes. I've messed with traction control from 5% to 50% and not really sure what that does. Doesn't really seem to make much of a difference.

dean1484
5/8/18 2:34 p.m.

Looks like I will need to get practicing tonight as I am not sure I have ever run this track in any game.  

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/8/18 3:05 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

We ran the V8 Supercars here in testing if you were around for that session.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/8/18 6:24 p.m.

I may be on sone tonight for some practicing. Just ran back to back AI races though. Managed a lap in the 46's for the first time. 

Argo1
5/8/18 8:20 p.m.

I am going to try to get on later.  I haven't turned a lap in more that two weeks.

dean1484
5/8/18 11:09 p.m.

practice was fun tonight. Learned I can make softs work with out issue. I don't have the pace of you all. I am just hoping I van be consistent.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jfAnrDdnb4L0KSixAW1NXMOgMf9dzhV50slJOSFwrn5vxvZwarRn2b63AsSkZOFF