1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/16/18 10:57 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Glad you made it and hopefully the frustration at the bots at least took your mind off real life for an hour

Glad everyone is alright. . 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/17/18 10:37 a.m.

So.... how many races have resulted in a nice CF at the start initiated by the AI?

Seems like it's a thing now.  I am suspicious that if you don't qualify in the front, the best tactic might just be to lay behind the start pack and blast by after the inevitable pile up.

I will be curious to see the replay of the start on this one. After nosing into Argo, I was trying to pull away from the wall and something was stopping me.  I suspect I was being pinned to the wall by someone.  Maybe Brad, he was right in it also.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I think that is the strategy for full human online races as well... at least based on the clips I've seen.

I watched the replay of the event at the start, and the cause was me getting into the back of the AI car.  It checked up and I nudged its rear, that spun it around and actually collected me, which then collected you.  Argo tried to go around the outside but wasn't able to, and spun back in front of you.  Enjoy...

Also, points updated (3 way tie for 2nd currently) and what was captured of the replay is posted.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/17/18 11:58 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Your replay shows the same thing that my replay does. I come out of the pits after my first stop and I am just in front of Air in 9th place. The leaderboard shows me as 14th for some reason. Then after a minute or two, it changes and shows me in P1 when I am still in P9. Then a little bit later, it fixes itself and shows me back in 9th. I was confused when I watched the replay this morning and thought it was just some strange artifact on my version, but I see it on yours as well.

I was pushing a bit too much on the softs on the drying track and had a bit of a slide at 20:55 on the replay. Luckily was able to catch it and not lose too much time. Then I couldn't get past the lime green AMG (same AI that put Dean on his roof in lap 1). Got ran off into the grass on the long straight, then later got tangled up and spun into a wall. I tried to pass him on the outside of a turn, tried to pass him on the inside a couple times. I was glad when he pitted and that put me up to 4th. After that it was smooth sailing for me, just focused on trying to build me lead on Dean to at least 40 seconds in case the no stopper strategy actually worked.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/18 6:31 p.m.

Wait. .. .  3 way tie for second at the moment.  That is really cool!!!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/18/18 8:23 a.m.

Red Bull Ring is a fairly easy track to learn. Did some laps on it yesterday - need to work on my setup a bit to see if I can get the front right tire to work a little harder. It stayed a bit cooler than the other tires. Guess I could try to stiffen up the front bar a little.

I'm going to also try to change my final drive so I can actually hit 6th gear. Not sure how much adjustment it allows though.

[EDIT: no luck on changing the final drive, there is only one other choice and it is worse, but front bar helped a bit. Pretty happy with the car as it is now. Fastest lap so far was a 1:31.6, but 1:33s are more common.]

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/18 5:43 p.m.

So does Dean's self healing wing on the Bentley constitute a moveable aerodynamic device?  The Lambo never self heals.  The windshield shattered at Spa and I could not see to drive.

Red Bull Ring is a fun track that offers passing opportunities.  I need to find the pace.  I was way off at Spa.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/18/18 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Dean not only got his wing back, but also his hood and trunk lid. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/18/18 8:46 p.m.

Got a lap in the 1:30.9's during practice after running about 15 laps or so. Not sure if I can duplicate it, but I'll try. 

Argo1
5/18/18 9:54 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Yep.  That's certainly what you need: More practice.  That way you can lap all of us.

Anyone for implementing F1 style testing and practice rules? wink

Argo1
5/18/18 11:56 p.m.

OK, I'm not completely in a different zip code.  Managed to turn a 31.4.  Mostly in the 32's.  Full fuel race setup runs.

dean1484
5/19/18 1:11 p.m.

I liked the one hour race last week. The rain part well it was an added bit of fun that was interesting just would not want it every day.   I would not mind more one hour races but I would prefer they start closer to 9:30 eastern. I was tired starting and seriously considered parking it just because I was so tired about half way through. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/19/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I liked the 1 hour race as well and I liked the added complication of pitstops strategies. We could try to reduce or eliminate the pre-race practice sessions. Maybe make it 15 minutes, then 15 mins of qualli.

Argo1
5/19/18 4:39 p.m.

We always have the option to set a manditory pit stop. Maybe have to run both tire compounds like F1?

dean1484
5/19/18 7:13 p.m.
Argo1 said:

We always have the option to set a manditory pit stop. Maybe have to run both tire compounds like F1?

With My car being set up to not eat soft tires I would be hurt by that. 

Argo1
5/19/18 10:06 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Argo1 said:

And....?

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/19/18 11:46 p.m.

Ran some laps today, actually learned something about the AMG setup that surprised me a bit.  Ran a few laps in the mid 1:30's in race trim, hit a high 1:29 with a qualifying setup but there's at least half a second left in it if I get everything right.  

BradLTL
5/20/18 6:34 a.m.

We used to run 45 minute races in PC1. Tire wear could be increased significantly was a much larger factor in strategy. We had a pit stop almost every race. 

dean1484
5/20/18 7:58 a.m.

Some one is going to have to run through pit stops. I set it up the pit strategy and had it selected at spa but for some reason it did not actually do it. 

dean1484
5/20/18 8:09 a.m.
Argo1 said:
dean1484 said:
Argo1 said:

And....?

With mandatory stops I loose that advantage. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/20/18 10:24 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Argo1 said:
dean1484 said:
Argo1 said:

And....?

With mandatory stops I loose that advantage. 

and...  this is a problem for me how?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/20/18 10:34 a.m.

So.. going into the last three races, we have a 3 way tie for second (yes, that's right, no one cares about 1st!)

The line up:

Dean:  Clearly the fastest in general, but held back by a huge target painted on the car by the field of AI cars.  Also, his pit crew only speaks Klingon, and Dean is a Staw Wars fan!  His car also sounds like farts.

Brad: Probably the 2nd fasted lap runner, but is plagued by apparent need to put all season tires in the rear of his car and as a result has seen more of the other cars approaching him through his front windshield then most. 

Air: Capable of one-off blast of low lap times which helps avoid AI "issues" and the start with high qualifying. Also know for relatively consistent races but slow race lap times and reliant on other drivers (and AI) helping.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/20/18 10:59 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Hey, I care about 1st.......after participating in multiple seasons way back when we played on GT5 (and GT6) and never getting a win I don't mind winning a race or two. I need to enjoy it while it lasts, because once Sauce fixes his internet or Spool starts caring about this game, things will change.

(Once I finished 2nd at Tsukuba in our MC Miata league because everyone else crashed on the last lap other than Air who was way out in front and I threaded through the carnage to go from 5th to 2nd or something like that. I may still have that replay on my PS3 - I'll see if I still have it.)

BradLTL
5/20/18 11:08 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I’m flattered but I’m probably only the 4th or 5th fastest lap runner depending on the amount of practice I get. 

I tend to think of myself as the Jensen Button of the group. If you give me a car faster than everyone else I’ll win. Otherwise I’m just running consistent laps hoping for the fast guys to screw up their race. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/20/18 1:56 p.m.

So, I loaded up GT5 and watched the replay. In the miata race, I finished 2nd behind Apexcarver and was in 2nd most of the race. Also finished 2nd in the SBC race in my Marcos. That series was in 2011. 

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wNAUDSzz9REmlXjiopIAYCr3wh8QuXXPbZnquYjhTDmWLAfJbelknqXyMcrfc8H0