1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/19 11:12 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

You bring that up now while I don't have time to practice. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/29/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

There's still plenty of time....qualifying doesn't start for over 8 hours....wink

BradLTL
5/29/19 4:34 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Took my kid to practice instead...

BradLTL
5/29/19 10:03 p.m.

Round 2 results

1 TJ

4 Sauce

6 Dean

7 Air

14 Argo

15 Brad

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/29/19 11:12 p.m.

I could’ve broken into the 2:03’s in qualli. On my fastest lsp, I got on the gas too hard coming out of the turn leasing into the carousel and nearly lost it. Had to lift completely. If I would have been better there I could’ve squeaked into the 2:03’s I think. 

Had a fairly uneventful race. I messed up at the kink two laps in a row and bounced off the wall the second time.  The result was that I lost my small cushion and ended up with Dean about a second behind. Eventually I managed to build a small gap again and then protect it till the end. I needed the gap for the last several laps when my tires were slippery.  Dean stayed close enough to make me worry about him. Good drive up until you had to pit. 

EDIT: My RS Dash only captured qualifying (and for that thinks I was Sauce and driving a BMW) and didn't seem to capture the race even though it was up and running during the race and was getting the live data. Bummer. I wanted to look at lap times. Oh well. On to Sonoma where instead of maximizing straightline speed, it will be more about cornering speed and braking.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/19 8:47 a.m.

I actually was thinking about the fuel more this morning and I got tge warning about fuel coming out of the carousel and I only had 3.4 l at that point. I did not look again to see what I had as I came on to the front straightaway but I assume it was under 3l so I now think pitting was the smart move.  I am going to have to add even more fuel for the next track. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/30/19 9:47 a.m.

Dean, FWIW, I ran 52L of fuel which the setup screen claimed was enough for 17 laps. I think I finished with 5L. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/30/19 9:49 a.m.

Brad/Argo, I assume we are running the longest of the three Sonoma layouts (Sonoma GP) that we ran in GT1. Is that correct?

AIs are fairly slow at Sonoma. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/30/19 10:14 a.m.

I think my race was mostly hindered by lack of practice and a somewhat unforgiving track.  The (as I think most did) car started to get a bit loose towards the end of the race.  I did not check the tire temps, but I think they where OK.

As a reminder to TJ, Dean and Sauce.  If you want to collect your prize, IM me an email and a name to put on the coupon (I checked, looks like they want a name).  It can be used (online or in store) the week of June 10-17 and is 25% an entire purchase with NO limits on what is discounted (will not combine with most other coupons).  Check out the website, there are a number of new items, many of a higher quality (and a higher price of course) than you might remember (most of the cheap stuff is still there also).  It's better than my employee discount and I am planning on at least few purchases (a jack, a wide angle welding helmet)

Try and get me the info by this weekend so I can submit it by next week.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/30/19 10:33 a.m.

PM sent. Thanks!

dean1484
5/30/19 4:37 p.m.
T.J. said:

Dean, FWIW, I ran 52L of fuel which the setup screen claimed was enough for 17 laps. I think I finished with 5L. 

I had 47l when I started and it said I was going to get 17 laps if I put 48l it said I was going to get 18 laps.  I have had this problem before in that the computer tends to underestimate the fuel for me and I have always carried at least 2 extra laps.  I really should have just added another 5l as i don't think it would have mattered in the cars performance.

As for the handling of the car my car would get loose as the run went on.  I added a click of rear wing at the end of practice and did a test run with 25l of fuel and it really seemed to help calm the car down without drastically hurting the car early in the run.  The added wing helped allot.  The only issue I was having was in slow speed left turns the car would come around really easy towards the end of the run but only in the lefts.  I attribute that to my tire selection and setup of running hards on the left and softs on the right.  I think the right rear was just a bit more greasy than the left rear and as such would make left turns a bit more challenging.  It really was not a big deal I could drive around it by just letting the car roll a bit more in the corner and making sure the car was strait before hammering the gas.

I am a bit disappointed I did not get the 2nd place but I think I made the correct choice in pitting as I am almost positive that I would have run out on the last lap and ended up with a DNF in last.  Salvaging a 6th place is much better than last.  Still 6 looser though.  

dean1484
5/30/19 4:54 p.m.

Oh considering the incident I had with Sauce I think I am lucky to have been 6th.  That was a really spectacular crash.  Sauce got the run on the front strait and had the inside line so I ran it deep with two thoughts in mind.  The first was to bate him into braking to late and the Ferrari has spectacular brakes so I can more than likely brake later anyway.  The second thought was that I was braking late was to set him up for an over under.  I don't know if he took the bate with the late braking or not but he missed the corner exit and went off track left but was carrying a ton of speed while on the other side of the curbing.  I figured he would rejoin with out issue and I got a good run out of the corner so I did not lift thinking I would get the spot back.  So I kept my car as far track right as possible while passing sauce.  At the last second I see him get all out of shape and his car comes across the track and I have no place to go and was pushed off the track to the right.  I am assuming he lost control coming back over the curbing especially with the speed he was carrying.  From then on I was a passenger but some how after spinning a couple times and lighting brushing the wall's while spinning I ended up heading the right direction and was actually still traveling at a reasonable rate of speed.  So I just carried on.  

It was funny as Sauce caught me I upped my game for a lap or two and we were actually gaining on TJ quite a bit.  TJ was only a second or less in front of us when we crashed. I know I was up on the wheel trying to keep sauce behind me and I am betting Sauce was pushing as well since I saw him make a couple mistakes while chasing me.  It liked like his car would suddenly push out on him with out warning.  We almost tried the carousel side by side once. Sauce got outside of me but thankfully either his car pushed out on him or he thought better of it as that would have meant trying the kink two wide and that would have been fun.    

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/31/19 7:49 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I saved the replay. Now I may actually take the time to watch it. That sounds exciting.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/31/19 7:53 a.m.

Did a few laps this morning. Sonoma is a hard track to run while drinking my morning coffee, unlike the last two that were perfect coffee drinking tracks. That being said, I think the track really suits the Porsche since the car loves to turn and the track is nothing but turns for the most part. AIs are slow here, so if we can all make it out alive from the start and then manage to keep it on the track for a few laps, we should be able to have bit of a buffer on the AIs.

dean1484
5/31/19 8:08 a.m.

My problem with Sonoma is that in the all the turns before the uphill I have not found good consistent brake points and turn in points.  there are not any good reference points close to the track.  I need to work on that more.  Starting with the uphill and all the remaining corners back to start finish I really like.  

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/19 2:54 p.m.

There is no doubt that the Carrera is the car to have at Sonoma. It loves the hilly corners and the lack of top end doesn't matter.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/19 8:56 a.m.

I got into the high 1:27's this morning in qualifying trim. Pretty happy with that.

Did a practice race with the AIs at 95/25 and lapped all but 5 of them. Would've gotten at least one more if I wouldn't have gotten greedy and tried to pass P5 in a bad place and ended up losing 20+ seconds. Seems that 1:29-1:30 is a comfortable race pace for me. Tires didn't show much wear, but were noticably less grippy for the last 7 minutes or so.

RS Dash did it again, where it recorded the practice and the qualli, but then failed to record the race. Not sure what it is doing. I wanted to look at the tire temps and wear and fuel usage over the 30 mins, but I guess I'll have to run another one before Wednesday.

I've got a few setup tweaks I want to try out as well, so I'll work in that this weekend.

dean1484
6/1/19 9:01 a.m.

I messed with my car a little bit after you left and found the I was faster on hard tires. I dipped in to the 1:28s with them and a full tank of fuel and there is more there for sure. I need to look at the car over a 30 minute run to see how the handling changes and make adjustments for that. 

Also i killed the TC completely and that really helped things as well. 

dean1484
6/1/19 3:30 p.m.

Kind of excited about this next track.  The 488 is actually fun at this track  

Not that we need to make Sauce any faster but I motion that he should qualify for the mulligan. Out of all the cars I have tried the BMW is by far the worst of the bunch.  I have tried to tame that thing and it is just no fun to drive. You can be fast in it but it is such a bad mannered  car I would rather have the Auston and be a little slower than drive that turd. 

BradLTL
6/1/19 6:35 p.m.

Please note your series administrator actually did his job.

BradLTL
6/1/19 6:35 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Kind of excited about this next track.  The 488 is actually fun at this track  

Not that we need to make Sauce any faster but I motion that he should qualify for the mulligan. Out of all the cars I have tried the BMW is by far the worst of the bunch.  I have tried to tame that thing and it is just no fun to drive. You can be fast in it but it is such a bad mannered  car I would rather have the Auston and be a little slower than drive that turd. 

I'll allow it.  Sauce, you want the Aston?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/19 7:02 p.m.

Based on the AI drivers, the Aston seems to be a decent car at Sonoma. I would think the BMW may be better at Spa though. 

dean1484
6/1/19 7:16 p.m.

I bet sauce could make the Aston fast

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/3/19 9:45 a.m.

My gripes with the BMW are lack of consistency and and its overwhelming desire to be on its roof.  Just when you feel like you've gotten into a rhythm the car just doesn't do what it did the last lap, or even last several laps.  At Road America I did a long-run test and used the exact same setup for the actual race.   Sector and lap times (when clean) were spot on but they were two completely different experiences.  According to RS Dash my tire temps/wear were also aligned so that wasn't the issue, and they were in the same room so ambient conditions should also not have been a factor.  The car just drove differently, was pushier at entry and oversteer mid-corner.

And then there's the curb thing.  If you hit a curb at speed the car just rolls over.  The other night in testing I rolled the car 3 times in T2 at Sonoma just by hitting the apex curb.  I have driven a lot of cars in the game and it is the only one I've experienced it with.  None of the other cars in class do it, just the BMW.  So, the inconsistent handling makes it difficult to be precise, and if you aren't precise and hit a curb the car ends up on its lid.

I ran a few laps with the Aston yesterday and I'm fairly sure I'll take it.  I'm a bit slower than the BMW at Sonoma which doesn't really bode well if that's one of its better tracks, but it's consistent and didn't go upside down so it's a bit of a win.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/19 10:11 a.m.

Sauce, Dean.  

If you want that discount, IM me the info (email, name). You can even give me someone else's info if you want (just DON'T put the info you get online anywhere, that is a no no for me)  It's good for next week, so I need to get it in this week.  If you have no use for it, Brad might be interested?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TEnX0YJlLELSAocMHQXr5NPujwDfVjfrlf4DxGr3HVvDHDz9rfw9a8RaM3xifxoQ