1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/3/19 11:12 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Over the weekend, I got a little more greedy than usual with the T2 apex curbing and nearly went over. I had to have been about 45 degrees, but with a quick flick of the wheel to the left the car came back down on all fours. Nothing like the BMW though where it looked like it just wanted to be on it's roof. Did you ever get flipped over from the curbing at the first of the the two 90 degree corners at the end of the drag strip? That one will send me on a wild ride if I hit it too hard as well, but so far, has not put me on my roof.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/19 11:20 a.m.
aircooled said:

If you have no use for it, Brad might be interested?

Want vs need. If they aren't going to use it, I still have room on my credit card that could fit a new impact wrench or so. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/3/19 1:04 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I'll let someone else take it, I don' really need anything at the moment and would just end up still buying half the store anyway with nowhere to put stuff.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/19 4:47 p.m.

OK, Brad could use a reward for putting up with our crap anyway.

IM me you info Brad.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/19 7:39 p.m.

I don’t have a need at the moment Air. Can I take a rain check on it for later in the year?  I would rather someone that can use it take advantage of it. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/19 8:59 p.m.

OK,  no problem, I will let you know when the pre-Christmas one comes up.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/4/19 8:45 a.m.

Looking forward to Sonoma tomorrow. I'll miss next week's 1 hour race at Spa since I'll be out of town for work.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/4/19 12:24 p.m.

Prizes are sent, let me know if you don't get them.  It looks like this signs you up for the ad mailing list, if you don't want that there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the coupon.

Now... isn't there a race I am supposed to be practicing for...

dean1484
6/4/19 11:25 p.m.

I ran 60 laps tonight and learned alot about how the car works over the long run. I also finally sat down and learned me dif settings and then applied it to the 488. What a difference!!!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/5/19 8:41 a.m.

I messed around a bit with some setup tweaks and found that less downforce did not make me faster, not really slower, maybe more fun, but more likely to end up in the dirt or a wall, so I am going to stick with all the downforce.

I also tried softening the front bar a bit and I think I will keep that change.

I tried some gearing changes, and think I will keep what I have, but it makes me a little slow off the line.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/5/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

60 laps is like three races. That is a lot of laps. Did you discover something that makes your car better from lap 16-20? That's about the time I start seeing a little dropoff in grip and about the time the lap traffic is really in the way.

dean1484
6/5/19 4:10 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to dean1484 :

60 laps is like three races. That is a lot of laps. Did you discover something that makes your car better from lap 16-20? That's about the time I start seeing a little dropoff in grip and about the time the lap traffic is really in the way.

If we are running 1:28's we will run 20-21 laps I ran two complete 30 min sessions and then I ran some short test sessions testing some radical adjustments.  The biggest thing I found is that hard tires are much faster than soft tires in this track. 

BradLTL
6/5/19 9:55 p.m.

Results

1 TJ

2 Air

3 Sauce

4 Dean

14 Brad

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/6/19 4:18 a.m.

I find that track to be entertaining and easy to get into a zone. I went with my setup where I only used 5 gears, never used 6th gear. Wasn’t any faster than using all 6 gears, but it was easier with fewer shifts in a lap. Made me a little slow off the line though, and even though I got a decent start, Sauce got a better one. Side by side through T1, then he had the inside for T2. I tried to stick it around the outside in an effort to have the inside for T3 and it worked as it looked like he backed off a bit and compromised his exit to give me room. After that, it was just putting in decent laps and not making errors. 

Thanks to Argo for picking the track that was perfectly suited to the car he wanted to drive. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/6/19 4:20 a.m.

If everyone is ok with pushing next week, I would love it. Don’t want to miss the 1 hr race at Spa, but if I do, I do. If we push, would that let Argo make the final week?

dean1484
6/6/19 6:14 a.m.

I am ok with pushing back a week 

last night was fun. The car got away from me once and a couple minor dust ups with the AI and a laps in concentration dropping a tire and I deserve the finish I got. Sauce and I had a drag race to the line that was fun. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/19 10:47 a.m.

Pushing is fine with me.  Sauce needs time to figure out how to get the top speed on the Aston up.

I was pretty amazed how consistent I was last night.  No self- caused spins.  I did get pit maneuvered by an AI.  I think the tune I got was the savior here, it was very stable.  Probably a bit too stable on decel for my likes (no real decel throttle steer), but I suspect that is what mostly gets me into trouble.

Oh and the Brad meetup:  I saw a cloud of dust in that last straight (not a lot of options to go either way).  As I got up to the cloud a Corvette suddenly appears in the middle of the cloud, and WHAM, Corvette goes up in the air a bit, but it didn't seem to do much to me beside slow me down a bit (I don't think there was even any visible damage on the car)

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/6/19 2:11 p.m.

I'm fine with pushing a week. 

TJ, I did back off as I wasn't sure what the car was going to do on that line. In hindsight I definitely over slowed, but with the crest I wasn't sure if taking it faster would run you out of track. I also knew that I didn't have the pace to challenge so me being ahead there wouldn't change the outcome. 

BradLTL
6/6/19 4:52 p.m.

I'm good with pushing out a week. Spa is one of my favorite tracks, I'd like to be awake for it. 

Last night was weird and a bit frustrating. I could get in a good rythym for most of the lap. There were 2 spots that were a battle every lap. The first was the down hill turn. This is usually my favorite spot on the track... Brake before the jump, set the car, and accelerate to the bottom of the hill. Not in the Vette though. It would never set for that corner. One end was always sliding and I would have to chase it to not spin. If I wasn't dead center in the track and a single tire thought about touching the grass, I would go around. I did that twice. 

The other problem was the corner before the final hairpin. If I didn't slow significantly before corner entry the backend would come around and there was nothing I could do to catch it. This happened a lot in practice but only once in the race. When it happened in the race I was stopped faceing the wrong direction in the walled narrow spot. I saw air was about 4 seconds back and closing. I dumped the clutch and spun around. Checked the mirror and saw Air coming around the corner. I tried to move to the inside and off line, but Air's closing speed was too fast. I ended up in the in field and just watched the rest of you go by before heading back off.

I ran a few more corners but the spin, slide and crash had all made my tires so greasy that it wasn't fun to drive and I had lost touch with the AI that I was chasing, so I called it a night. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/6/19 6:57 p.m.

I didn’t brake for that fast right before the final hairpin. Usually, I would briefly lift, turn in and then get right back on the gas. If everything was just right I could do it with partially lifting to maybe 75% throttle, but most laps didn’t want to risk it and lifted completely. The AIs would slow so much there it was dangerous since I’d be carrying a lot more speed through there and into the braking zone for the hairpin. 

Also, in the 911 I would brake just after the hump at the top of the hill instead of just before it. 

BradLTL
6/6/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I haven't previously either, at worst a lift. I couldn't make that work in the Vette last night though. Could have been the car, the conditions, or the driver. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/6/19 7:12 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Sounds like a setup issue of some sort. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/19 10:38 p.m.

Pushing a week would be great.  Then I could make the Glen.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/7/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Perfect. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/7/19 8:11 a.m.

The AIs are not pushovers at Spa like they were at Sonoma, or I am just slower. Longest stint so far has only been 8 laps because that’s the longest I’ve made it without wrecking.

Car is feeling better, but will be curious how it is after 45 mins of tire wear and fuel load burn. 

EDIT: Looking at some of the times on the leaderboards, I am just a bit slow and need to shave off a few seconds per lap.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MiVsoduM7iWrWEE3fpshRdlSV0WFdvueTULYgKCFjlezl2o7smGulbYbGOByX25S