1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/21/14 5:30 p.m.

The good news: First round is at Brand's Hatch.

The bad news: There is no new track or layout as speculated.

The worse news: Its in a Nissan Leaf.

I'm currently somewhere around 15,000 in the worldwide standings.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/21/14 5:36 p.m.

Such a frustrating car and a terrible t1. I suspect lots of cursing as I try this out later in the week.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/14 5:52 p.m.

I think Spool secretly works for the maker of GT6 thinking up these kinds of thing.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/21/14 6:51 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I think Spool secretly works for the maker of GT6 thinking up these kinds of thing.

I get that it sort of "has to be" a Nissan, since they sponsor the contest and all, but the fact that the Leaf is the closest they could come to a "hot hatch" is just an embarrassing statement about Nissan. I honestly think I'd rather race a Juke.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/21/14 9:00 p.m.

Anything with gears would be great. It's hard to get a good sense of speed without shifting gears, especially when slowing for certain corners.

I think PD uses the leaf at first because it's so simple and slow. No gears really makes you focus on the correct line and carrying momentum to get a good lap time.

PS, you guys have some catching up to do

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
4/22/14 12:34 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

What else is new!

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
4/22/14 8:48 a.m.

I have not been deep into Gran Turismo until late into gt5. So this is the first GT Academy that I am going through. Does it mean anything other then just getting gold and the money? Is this how they actually choose the contestants for the TV show?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/22/14 8:58 a.m.

Yes that is correct

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/22/14 9:07 a.m.

I may just try this one, I haven't bothered prior because I'm not good.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/22/14 9:24 a.m.

I ran a couple laps last night, it's pretty frustrating. The auto trans and Nankang tires really make it difficult, especially off camber like in T1.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/22/14 9:26 a.m.
e30Matt wrote: Nankang tires

LOLOLOLOLOL! I thought I was the only one that made fun of Nankangs hahahahaba

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
4/22/14 9:58 a.m.

If for nothing else, the GT Academy is good for CRs. I think the first one, with a full bonus, will get you 500,000 CR.

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
4/22/14 10:47 a.m.

Well for once I can say:

Your turn Spool.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/22/14 7:05 p.m.

I'm pretty close to you guys right up until I get to Graham Hill Bend. I can't see how you guys are carrying so much speed through there. Its probably only a few MPH, but you guys just keep pulling away from me all the way through the "Clark" turn.

I did manage gold, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll mess with this since I really hate the car and, to a lesser extent, this track layout.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/22/14 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon: Haha, yeah, they're on their own level. There was a guy locally who bought a supercharged e36 M3 that had been wrecked in the rear and kinda fixed as a parts car, but decided to bring it out to an autox for a final sendoff. It came on some generic multi-lug wheels with Nankangs on it. Watching someone trying to put down 300+ hp through 215 Nankangs on an autox course was hilarious.

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
4/23/14 1:18 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: I'm pretty close to you guys right up until I get to Graham Hill Bend. I can't see how you guys are carrying so much speed through there. Its probably only a few MPH, but you guys just keep pulling away from me all the way through the "Clark" turn. I did manage gold, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll mess with this since I really hate the car and, to a lesser extent, this track layout.

AFter I swore off another try, I watched the #1 replay to see his braking and part throttle control give him the 1-2MPH advantage in cornering speeds. Basically Graham hill bend requires a slight brake but early brake to allow the car to settle into a drift through the corner and let it climb up onto the bricks. The camber of the corner exit helps you. YOu should be on the gas partly way before the apex. Clark is super critical to get perfect as you have so little horsepower any tenth of a MPH that you can carry through will give you and advantage up that steep hill of Brabham Straight. Watching the #1 record replay shows you how close to the edge of grip and the road is needed to get a good run.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/25/14 2:43 p.m.

I have broken into the 1:03's and still have some time on the table. I appreciate the braking early and getting settled suggestion, it's spot on for Graham and Paddock Hill and helped me shave a lot of time.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/25/14 3:52 p.m.

I'm hoping to try another shot at this with the wheel this weekend if work on the race car goes smoothly.

Good job Matt!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/25/14 9:08 p.m.

Made another go and got into the 1.03.8s with the wheel. I had a lap after that where I was up 2 whole tenths, but botched the last corner

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/25/14 10:20 p.m.

Nice! Looks like I have some more work to do.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/26/14 6:56 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt:

Get t3 better and you'll pass me. You're ahead of me until that corner and I creep past heading towards the last corner.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/26/14 7:54 p.m.

Good to know. I'm still working on the partial throttle thing. Since there is no power I have a bad habit of just going flat out. I'll try to get some laps in tomorrow, today was spent wrenching and getting angry. I got on for a bit this afternoon to do some credit building, but didn't want to do anything that would require actual focus.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/29/14 2:36 p.m.

I managed to take off another tenth or so, and have about another 2 tenths available if I could string together a full lap at my best sector times. I'm getting more consistent though, so I might be able to pull it together at some point.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/29/14 3:19 p.m.

Same problem I have. My mind goes numb after about 5 laps or so in that slow POS.

e30Matt
e30Matt New Reader
4/29/14 5:03 p.m.

It definitely is numbing. It's funny how many times I try to downshift going into T2, though it does add some interaction.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mQz9bWjvm6JbHbfEc091yeJthFY2OYSW68h33DohI3wOBoUzEz21D3vzfsROBx7o