1 2 3 4
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/22/17 10:00 a.m.

About the headsets:  yeah weird, I read a bunch of stuff about how BT  headsets will not work because they are using the bandwidth for  the controllers and transmitting audio to the controllers.  I have a Sony BT headset, so I will see, but it was made before the PS4

Dean, there are supposed to be custom online rooms like they have now, I don't know the specifics.  What you are thinking of are what are replacing the campaign races (racing against AI), which are now online only vs others. Online in these new rooms is also the only way to win your brownie points (or whatever they are called).

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/22/17 10:06 a.m.

Dean you are probably close to correct.  PC2 is not perfect but it's a pretty good sim.   The online part of the game works seamlessly.  Mics work.  Your driver rating updates each time you race online against at least one human.  Things save to the PS4, not in the cloud only like GTS.  There is no "unlocking" features.  In the first version of PC, they continued to add content and cars on a regular basis.  I expect PC2 to be similar.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/22/17 10:24 a.m.

Oh, on a note about the PC expansion packs, I did some looking.  It "looks" like the first one will be RallyX (which could be pretty entertaining in a bumpy racing type of way).  The other three appear to be Porsches (race cars of course) Ferraris and LeMans Classics.  All of which have at least one new track.  So, some interesting stuff.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/22/17 10:44 a.m.
aircooled said:

Oh, on a note about the PC expansion packs, I did some looking.  It "looks" like the first one will be RallyX (which could be pretty entertaining in a bumpy racing type of way).  The other three appear to be Porsches (race cars of course) Ferraris and LeMans Classics.  All of which have at least one new track.  So, some interesting stuff.

All those packs came with the deluxe launch version so I have all those packs.  They are really good.  I'm not really a RallyX guy but the stuff in PC2 seems pretty cool.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
10/24/17 6:46 a.m.

Finally got to play PC2 for an hour or so last night. I really like the vast track list. Tons of cool race cars, but sadly a lack of street cars. I started out in an FRS to get acquainted with the physics and I really liked it. Was drifting the thing around COTA within minutes. Then I tried to find another street car that was slightly faster and noticed that there is not much between an FRS and the supercars. Tried a few race cars and they are significantly harder to drive. While I’m sure it’s real life accurate, I’m not sure it’s going to make for better league racing unless driver aids are allowed. 

Anyhow, that’s a super quick impression that may change as I get more playtime in. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/24/17 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

That's pretty accurate.  It takes a bit to get a decent feel for the race cars.  The first time I drove a race car around I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.  Now it feels right.  Driver's aids set to "real" seems to be the way to go.  That means for a GT3 car you will have TC and ABS - both adjustable.  Not the GT6 variety.  You certainly have to work your way up.  I flailed around COTA for six laps in a F1 (A) car.  Two of the laps I actually stayed on the track.  No aids of any kind.  Turned a 1:47.  No threat to Hamilton's pole time.  Open wheel cars are fun though.

Maybe driver's aids are a method of handicapping?

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
10/24/17 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

There's a learning curve, but you get the hang of it fairly reasonably. If you find yourself struggling with a car, try a different one, they all drive differently. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/24/17 10:47 a.m.

It does sound like Enthusia.  You just had to under drive the cars compared to other games.  Spool is a pretty big jerk, uhm, I mean he likes to work his wheel a lot, uhm, I mean, he likes a lot of steering input, so I am sure he will need to mellow out his driving a bit. surprise

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/24/17 10:48 a.m.

BTW - I thought of a few expansion pack ides for PC2 that I think would be great (here's hoping): 

Golden Era Trans Am (68-72): You could get away with adding 4 or 5 cars and one or two classic tracks.

IROC: (74-06):  A 911 Carrera RSR (boing!), a few Cameros and a Trans Am.

Both would seem to work with the general theme of PC.  They could work in GT of course also, since they apparently are doing almost exactly the same thing....

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/24/17 10:07 p.m.

Spool's comment about trying to find a street car in PC2 that wasn't a supercar to move up from the FRS made me wonder.  I wondered if the seeming lack of street cars in PC2 was an impression because of the huge number of racing cars.  We know that GTS car list sucks.  Time to find out which has more street cars!  I have both games so here we go...

I started by counting pure street cars in each game that were not a supercar.  I used the stupid high HP rule for the divider (example: the ZL-1 Camaro might not technically be a supercar but it's performance is out there.  Supercar category.)  So here is the tally:  Project Cars 2 has 14 lower power pure street cars, 3 of which are vintage.  GT Sport has 23 lower powered street cars, none are vintage.  So a 9 car win for GTS, if you don't mind losing vintage or driving things like a BMW i3.  But wait, there's more....

If we look at all street cars we have to count the pure street higher performance cars that would land in the supercar category as I've defined it.  PC2 has 29 high performance street cars.  GTS has 12 road supercars.  Advantage PC2.   Overall road car score is PC2 43, GTS 35.

It would be pointless to count the racing cars - it's not even close and a boat load of them are vintage.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/24/17 10:22 p.m.

And 3-0 PC2 for vintage street...

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/24/17 10:27 p.m.

I also did a bit of checking on the possibility of using driver aids as a form of handicap, or more correctly to "boost" up the back of the field.   The room could be set to "full" aids and then each competitor would de-select them if they had not been awarded them.  The available aids in PC2 are:

ABS

Stability Control

Traction Control

Braking Assist

Steering Assist

It would take some testing and experimentation to learn the effect and advantage of each and how to use them to balance the field.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/28/17 12:10 a.m.

Isn’t there a pc2 thread? I’m interested in GTS info. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/28/17 1:32 a.m.

Yeah, these threads got a bit crossed over because we are trying to determine which will be the best for a GRM series so we are doing comparisons.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/28/17 11:00 p.m.

I’ve had a blast on gts. I’m loving the online, and while gts isn’t perfect. And it “isnt what it I remember”, this millennial has embraced its new direction. See ya on track gentlemen. 

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
Du2rONnl3l04iGWpIoplmpUcJgslfseM