1 2 3
failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/28/13 3:27 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Any chance of a semi-organized, "off night", drop in series of pre-announced "single race" events? I'd certainly try to make a few of those, just to see how far behind I really am!

Maybe several short sprint races with pre-determined cars/builds. Maybe cars from past series. Flip the field between races instead of worrying about qualifying.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/29/13 10:52 a.m.
Argo1 wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'd like to suggest that the first GT6 series be budget and license-friendly. Some of us don't have every night to level or grind gold. Maybe even one of the early reward cars would be good for series 1? jg
Some of our best series have been low buck cars. The recent Coffee Car series was great.

Yes, the plan has been to keep the first series a bit low buck to allow the " non-glitch" people a good chance to catch up. I tend to like those more anyway.

Unfortunately some of the cool (super expensive) cars (e.g. Cobra Daytona), and the cool photos that would result will have to wait.

So far, to me at least, most of the cars in GT6 (at least the old ones I tend to use) seem to have a fair amount of personality and are interesting to drive.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/29/13 11:20 a.m.

How about one spec car series (like a Miata, s2k, something cheap and fun) and one PP based series (500-550pp) and limit the tires. No tire wear, use the new tracks.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/29/13 11:24 a.m.

Spec car I suggest stock so it would arrive and drive (and cheap!).

A PP limited series should net some variety.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/29/13 11:48 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Spec car I suggest stock so it would arrive and drive (and cheap!). A PP limited series should net some variety.

+1

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/13 11:51 a.m.

We had an interesting series a while back where each week a different person picked the PP for the next race. It was a stock series but you could bring what you wanted (race cars excluded) that fit the PP. Tires were CS below 450pp and SS above.

Might give us a bit of variety to start.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/30/13 9:02 a.m.

Spec 125cc Shifters... (comon, make my day with it!)

another Idea.

Track Day Cars...

Caterham Fireblade
KTM Xbow R
Light Car Rocket
Suzuki GSXR/4

We will need to do some testing to balance performance. The Fireblade and Rocket at least will need replacement gearboxes (probably the GSXR too, its over-geared). In my testing (SS, No mods other than gearbox) the KTM is fast but will easily snap around under braking. The Rocket is the same pace, the Suzuki is a touch faster then the others despite a lower PP. The Caterham is trailing behind a bit.

If a few people are willing to work together and come up with some fair performance balancing PP's for each car we could have a really fun series. (my thoughts, Give the Caterham some extra power or something to make up it others testing holds it as slower. Perhaps put some more weight on the GSXR and go from there)

NOTE, all but the KTM have bike motors IIRC.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/30/13 10:18 a.m.

I know Spool mentioned Spec S2000 instead of Spec Miata. Everyone gets an 06 S2000 as a prize car early on in the game. I threw aero and race suspension on it, left everything else alone and it is a fun car.

keep in mind the wheel glitch if you add aftermarket wheels its going to make the rear tire width same as the front.....so if we do something like this would have to consider making oem or aftermarket wheels mandatory...that is if you want everyone with the same setup.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/1/14 8:29 p.m.

another spec series that would be fun, Spec Mustang

http://www.v8supercarswest.com/Contact_Us.php scroll down for specs.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
1/2/14 12:55 a.m.

There are those Toyota GT86 (aka Scion FRS) race cars which are pretty forgiving and set up with a similar idea to the NC MX5 Playboy Cup Cars, or whatever they are called these days. Pretty representative of entry level w2w series.

I would say leave them as is, Sports Hard and enjoy close racing.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/2/14 11:24 a.m.

We are going to start testing for the GT6 series the week after next (no reason others can't get together before then of course). Some of the goals / restrictions I think are important:

• Keep the CR requirements low (for low just beginning). I am thinking a total CR investment of less then 1 million should certainly be required, maybe less then 500,000 CR. Feedback on this is needed (I, and a few other are effectively unlimited in CR).

• Generally we run one "arrive and drive" and one "technical" series. The first may be a full spec series or stock car series, while the second may involve more tuning / testing or car searching / testing.

• Try to get a good variation of cars and good pics. Not a requirement of course (e.g. spec series).

I do want to allow some time for a bit of goofing off. I got Comp real excited about the idea of a quick Smokey and the Bandit race I think would be fun. He will probably be testing the variables, but it should involve a hopped up TransAm and a number of 64 GTO, or Chevelles (with a serious power cut). These cars are relatively cheap, so it should be OK for most.

We should have 6 or so slots for testing (3 approximately 10 min races each testing week). So far, some strong contenders seem to be:

• Shifter karts (cheap and easy, very arrive and drive)

• Spec something (Miata with all the color stripe variations, S2000?)

• Muscle cars (Since they are way better in GT6)

• Light Car Rocket (Great fun to drive, super grippy)

• Euro Trash (I think the CR restriction are OK on this, right?)

I will try and get a GRM GT6 League Series 1 thread up soon to make it a bit more official (although I will not nail down the actual series / cars until we test of course)

onebadrsx05
onebadrsx05 Reader
1/2/14 2:44 p.m.

I was looking last night, we could pick a PP limit and go to the recommended section, and buy some GT cars.

I personally like the Spec RSX/Integra race :-P But I am a little bit biased on that.

Spec Miata would be fun, set a PP limit with xx power limiter and tune out your ass for it. And then have a stock car challenge. Something fun to drive, like the s2k.

Im pretty partial to the whole GT car thing we did in like Series 8... I really enjoyed the pick a car, BMW, Ferrari, Aston, McClaren, or Audi and set a PP for each car.

I do like who evers idea was to pick a PP level and get a car that level, but it also would probably require alot of $$ and tuning. We could do extra points for most unique car or something like that too.

I also like the team aspect, but due to unforseen missing, we should probably do that like blind doubles. Say 8 people show up, take those 8 and randomly assign 1-4 to each one. If 7 show up, give him 2 people and take the average of those 2.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/2/14 3:32 p.m.

The Caterham on race suspension and with nitrous is so good it should be outlawed.

The Pro Touring muscle cars are also quite good.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/14 3:19 p.m.

Muscle cars cause 'Merica!

(and I've already prepped one)

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/3/14 3:56 p.m.

I think GT cars might be a bit too pricey at this point.

A generic PP race is certainly do able, but it's pretty generic. I don't think we have ever done anything without some sort of theme. Let me just fill out a preliminary idea / guess with both nights that seem to fit the requirements (the 3rd slot is a sort of secondary / optional slot good for goofing off if nothing else) NOT a final list:

UPDATED

Week 1 (1/15):

• Slot 1: GET PUMPED!: Muscle car series

• Slot 2: Rich Boys Toys: Track Day Car Trial, (Rocket, Fireblade, KTM, Susuki)

• Slot 3: Euro Trash (if time allows)

Week 2 (1/22):

• Slot 1: No Just for Kids shifter kart series (spec, very cheap and easy, controller users?)

• Slot 2: Spec Miata

• Slot 3: Smokey and the Bandit Challenge (if time allows)

Another option seems to be a spec series for a gifted car (as long as everyone is to that level)

That's my guess so far. I think the CR required for buying all the cars for testing should be OK. Heck, if you can't afford the testing car you can still show up in something close and have fun.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 11:59 a.m.

Any thoughts on the level of tuning allowed and HC?

I would really like to see the Muscle cars as close to stock (to maintain character), but I can see how some cars might have a clear disadvantage (as I remember the Daytona is not much of a turner). For HC, I am wondering of some sort of part based HC could be used (e.g. back finishers get posi or a sport suspension etc.) One thought is using the car as a HC (winners have to switch to a less desirable car).

For most of the other cars I think we can use weight and maybe tires again.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/4/14 12:04 p.m.

How about letting the bottom half use nitrous?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 12:29 p.m.

Ohhh. I forgot about nitrous, that could be entertaining. I really wish they would add in some sort of engine reliability / "blowed up" variable. That would make the NOZ even more exciting.

The only small issue with it is that it is super expensive in the game (100,000 CR), but certainly something to consider.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 1:34 p.m.

The International B Tour of America is a good set of races to test Muscle cars (and make CR at the same time). The stupid "panic brake before the turn" technique the AI cars use matches well with the less then stellar handling of the muscle cars. I am using pure stock cars (a trans mode may be useful at Indy)

It's certainly not realistic of course. No way a 545 Chevelle is going to beat a Ford GT or new Corvette. around a track!

Fun cars to drive but you really need to trail brake like mad to get them to turn it, and do a bit of power oversteer to get out of some turns. Do that and you will be driving like you are in a Starsky and Hutch episode in no time!

Not sure what happens when you upgrade the tires and suspension, but I am concerned the result may not be good. Brad: have you been testing mostly stock cars, or full mods?

Almost all the Muscle cars are right below 500pp though, so that is nice. I am thinking we could just to power mods to bring them up (maybe allow a bit of power limiter for fine tuning). Maybe require a racing exhaust upgrade as the first mod to maximize aural excitement.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 10:16 p.m.

Adding track list for Season as suggested by Argo (focuses on the new tracks):

• Ascari

• Mount Panorama

• Silverstone

• Brands Hatch

• Willow Springs

• Matterhorn

• Apricot Hill

• Spa

• Motegi Twin Rings

• Goodwood Time Trial

We will probably do the full track were the option is available (e.g. Silverstone). Ascari will be uhm... interesting. It is a rather strange track. Mt. Panorama should be epic though!

I doesn't look like Goodwood is available for online races. We will need a sub. Perhaps one of the alternate versions of the tracks (e.g. Streets of Willow, which is probably a bad idea )

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/14 3:01 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: - Euro Trash (need some specifics from Chimp on this)

Ok So when did I become "chimp"

Since the Euro Trash thing was my Idea I did some research the other night and the PP ratings for the cars new in GT6 are the same as GT5.

The test race we did had the following "Rules"

Euro Car. Possible exception to this is the Delorian. In GT6 this is listed in the American cars for some reason. Race cars (or cars with similarly adjustable aero) are not allowed. No converting your car to a race car

PP as purchased from the dealer must be under 550 (Argo's car in the test we did was technically not legal)

Maximum tuning limit is up to 550 PP Maximum power reduction is 90% Tires Unlimited All other tuning / weight reduction is allowed.

Now some proposed changes (due to $$$$$ issues). (open for discussion)

Tires limited to Sport or less.

Possible car purchase price limit of say 150K??? more??? less???

Lowering the PP (either the cars from the dealer PP, the tune to PP or both) At around 435PP you start getting in to many of the older cars. There are some older "super cars" that are around the 450 range that I think would be ringers so we would have to look carefully at this.

The purpose behind the original 550PP Euro Trash specs was to eliminate the modern super cars. I used the 458 as cut off (it has to high a PP new to be used in a series based on 550pp)

I really enjoyed that series even though I screwed up in the test race and used the wrong BMW. I think I was 2nd to Argo. There is quite a diversity of cars as well as price. Hopefully even those that did not glitch for cash would have something in there garage that they could just use if cash was an issue.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/14 3:20 p.m.

And for the record I hate the carts!!!! But like the RUF I would just have to learn how to drive them.

We need to do a rocket race at some point.

Mucel cars are fun. I already have a 65 mustang setup really well to 450 PP. Going to 500 would be simple. You would have to exclude race cars. This series with fuel and tire ware. At least set it up with a mandated pit stop.

We could do a series based on picking a stock car every week (I forget how Air determined who picked when). That got us driving everything from F40's (thanks Spool) to TVr's to Camaro's

I really like a Hot Hatch series.

Truck racing???? We have Dodge, Ford and Toyota???

Another coffee type series but open it up to more diversity of cars but keep the PP low and mandate 4 cylindars of less.

MX5 with a PP limit to allow for more power. I like them in the 210 - 225HP range.

A all Lotus series?

A british car series?

Pre 1980 Asian cars?

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/5/14 4:15 p.m.

Pre 80's asian cars, I like that. Would have to be a lower PP type series because a lot of those cars are down on power and cant be tuned up too much. Keep it sport tires only, no race aero, possibly a weight/HP limit? These would also be budget friendly and there would be plenty of FWD and RWD cars to choose from I think.

I think you guys have a lot of good ideas and honestly they all sound like they would be fun. Just pick something so I can start putting some cars together lol. Maybe just go with aircooled's proposed schedule a little ways up the page?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/5/14 4:34 p.m.

On track day cars, keep it sport softs. In testing the GSX-R car on race softs I could get it to bicycle around a turn without any curb contact.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/5/14 5:12 p.m.

Some clarification:

Muscle Cars: Straight axle leaf spring cars (e.g. no Corvettes). Pre 1972 (or pre 80 to allow the TransAm?) post 1962. Sport Hard tires. 500pp. Only power mods (no turbo or supercharger mods) and Fully Customized Transmission allowed. 90% Power Limiter allowed to get to 500 (minimum use highly suggested, it's better). Please add Race Exhaust as first mod.

Karts: 125 shifters (simple enough)

Track Day Cars: Rocket, Seven Fireblade, X-BOW R, GSX-R/4. Sport Soft Tires. 560 pp. (I am a bit worried the GSXR might be too low on PP). I need to look and see if all these come with adjustable suspensions.

Spec Miata: 425pp (?), Sport Soft tires (?) (more power will probably be better at the larger tracks)

I am not liking the 80's-90's cars, way to broad, so I am going to pull that. We can add in the Euro Trash as outline by Dean above. I will do a bit more research on all of these and update.

Smokey and the Bandit: We will have to wait for Comp to get back to us on this, but a TransAm and some other muscle car will be involved.

At this point I am thinking Muscle cars and Track Day cars are the front runners. Testing others will at least be useful for later series.

Note: I updated the schedule above to reflect priorities (I will work all of this info into the Series Thread of course)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K8YMGbTOICkXI5tOU2833M4fST0rxafvbhGxIxO4E5DCcMdP6Yao4vSECJwpRxoz