Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/14 7:10 a.m.

I would like to know who would like to flesh this idea out. In reality the issue is equalizing the cars and determining what cars are really in or out.

Initial concept:

• Any year
  • RWD
  • Production version Ford Mustang (Mercury Cougar), Chevrolet Camaro (Pontiac Trans Am) and Dodge Challenger (Plymouth Cuda) would be eligible to compete
  • 575pp max (to be adjusted up for oil service)
  • Sports Medium tires

415 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1978
422 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept 1988
435 Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel 1970
443 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe 1997
443 Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium 2007
451 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1969
451 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 1969
451 Ford Mustang GT 2005
453 Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971
460 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000
462 Mercury Cougar XR-7 1967
476 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R 2000 479 Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack 1971
490 Dodge Challenger R/T 1970
490 SRT Challenger SRT8 2008
498 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2010
500 Ford Mustang Boss 302 2013
558 Ford Ford Shelby GT500 2013

Add your thoughts, please

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/8/14 8:09 a.m.

I have a couple of these and can do some testing tonight to see how they shake out. I will say that my many and multiple Trans Ams feel amazing at around 550pp, would have to detune a little but I'm very comfortable in those cars.

What in your opinion would be a good track to test on? I think if we agreed on a track it would help normalize the results.

Quasi Mofo
4/8/14 8:29 a.m.

Willow Springs? Good combo of tight and long straights? Bumped the Max to 575pp and added the other Muffledstain

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
4/8/14 9:01 a.m.

I tried to do this in GT5 and we ended up having a spec. series for the 69 Camaro Z28. Our second series was the U2 series per the original Trans-Am. It will be interesting to see how those cars compare in GT6.

This brings up a question I've had for some time. Torque SHOULD be considered in determining pp. Does anyone know for sure if it is. I have my doubts about GT5. That may have been why it was so hard to equalize these cars.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
4/8/14 9:45 a.m.

I support your efforts.

Along the lines of what Grea has mentioned. One of the big differences between the cars, and one that seems to make them a bit uneven / mess up the pp, is the torque curve. An example is the Superbird which seems to be slower then is should based on it's PP. The torque curve is VERY low. As such you MUCH overshift it to keep up. Consider that when you test.

In the same line of thought, the high RPM torque cars (z28) seems to be faster / have an advantage.

Quasi Mofo
4/8/14 4:17 p.m.

I think I will be running some laps at Roma reverse in these tonight. Not the spec track mentioned earlier but a good way to get the seat time in that I desperately need.

matman3
matman3 New Reader
4/8/14 7:16 p.m.

I'm in! Let me know how I can help.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/8/14 11:09 p.m.

Tried to run the T/A @ willow, didn't turn out too good. Still not very comfortable with that track yet. Managed a 1:28 something but it's not very accurate because I was off in the dirt a couple times. Not a real fan of that track.

Quasi Mofo
4/9/14 6:58 a.m.

How about another track then, even one of the "fake tracks" we all know? Willow on SH is an exercise in futility.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/9/14 8:32 a.m.

Been thinking similar, but only older cars, 500pp and CS tires. (try it, they are fun! Just leave the diff stock-ish so its not a spin machine)

Quasi Mofo
4/9/14 9:20 a.m.

If I had my way I would include M3, RX7, WRX, EVO and all the new and old generations of GRM lust machines.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/14 6:03 p.m.

I missed this thread. I will help when I can I have all the cars noted above and probably multiples. You need to use a known test track. In the past we have used Grand Valley East. My go to test track for cars is GP/D. Both reasonably short and both have a good mix of corners and long straits. GVE may be better as it has been a standard for other series in the past so there is a reference to what other cars have done there.

Regarding torques. It is not currently figured in to PP and it is a very important part of tuning a car. I am finding that many of the turbo upgrades will net you a faster car with a mid range turbo because the torques can be as much as 50 more than the torques in a high RPM turbo. Just lower your shift points and gear according to the graph in the car set up screen.

Argo showed me this in GT5 and it is even more of an advantage in GT6 depending on the car. Air remember my Lambo and my "short shifting" ? Now you know why. As you come out of the max torque range you can watch the RPM needles rising rate slow down

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fp3FXW6teLMm0ZRCHQy6bV41lufLAW43W4wIT4Dt5ThQrMgKlAt4qI8bxNvb3fuh