1 2 3
Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/30/15 9:11 a.m.

Anyone got this running yet? It's telling me it's incompatible with 5 different Android devices (Galaxy S5, HTC One, Galaxy Tab, etc etc)

Looks very neat, especially with the GPS Import Feature, but as usual, the delivery already seems to be flawed...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/30/15 10:04 a.m.

Works fine on an iPad air. It's MUCH better then the old one. Very flexible with track design.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/30/15 10:18 a.m.

might dig out an old ipad tonight then and play with it... how's the gps integration work? any way to hack the files to just input data without actually driving the route?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/30/15 10:55 a.m.

Not sure about the GPS data, but it will open a GPX/KML file which you can apparently output from a GPS(?).

You don't really need it though with existing tracks, you can just import a track map and draw over that (I just did the old Bridgehampton Race Circuit in about 10 min!) and I have already done Riverside (I made it a bit big though). You can only do that as a flat track though. If you want elevation changes you will have to do a lot more freehand and get lucky with one of the other (hilly) track building areas.

Copying over a track created on the flat areas should not be too bad. The map shows the length of all the straights and the angles of the corners so just writing those down would make re-creating them pretty straight forward. Getting the elevation changes right or even close will take a bit of luck though (entirely dependent on what is in the area of the map you are building on) .

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/30/15 11:05 a.m.

OH WOW. Time to download me some GT6 updates.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
9/30/15 2:09 p.m.

Does anybody use a Mychron 4 with GPS? I wonder if you can upload and build a track that way.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/30/15 6:20 p.m.

Looks like you could get a track out of Google maps route if you want:

How to plan a route in Google Maps and export it to Gpx / your phone

I wonder how accurate it would be. Not sure it works though, some are saying it doesn't.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
9/30/15 6:23 p.m.

I'll donate whatever I have to for someone to get the tail of the dragon mapped in

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 7:26 a.m.

We need to do the Kancamagus Highway (rt 112 between Lincoln and Conway New Hampshire) That would make a great point to point race

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 7:53 a.m.

I was fooling around with the Layout thing in google and I am not sure I understand how to do it. Here is a link to what I think is the file that can be converted to a GPX file.

Air if you can some how convert this to a track it would be an intresting point to point race.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zPWKV34TReJc.kpqy_3uLn-OE&usp=sharing

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/1/15 8:02 a.m.

I have been using images off the web of a track layout, I am having a problem with scaling, my tracks come out at 6.8 miles, when they should be 3< miles. Regardless it is awesome.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/1/15 8:07 a.m.

Good news everyone. You do not need to send a Friend request in order to download someones track.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/downloading-others-tracks-without-fr.335172/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/1/15 10:21 a.m.

Yes, scaling is a bit of a pain. It's pretty easy to draw them to big. If you know the dimensions of the track though (e.g. length of a straight) you should be able to get very close using the feedback when drawing. It would be nice if there was an overall scaling feature (as well as the ability to copy a track to a different environment).

It looks like the GPX files are just a collection of points. Not terrible, but it does mean you would still have to radius all the corners. It would eliminate the issue with figuring out the scale though. I would like to see a GPX file that works though because looking at the GPX output of the Conway route (which I drove at least 3 times when I visited there) I suspect you could just isolate the trk and trkseg (track and track segment?) tagged parts and import those.

Placeholder. Here is the Google route for the Tail of the Dragon:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zecBDuLzR1Do.kPnjVLLfNvU4&hl=en_US

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
10/1/15 2:52 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: I'll donate whatever I have to for someone to get the tail of the dragon mapped in

Go to arcade mode, then time trial. There is a new category for user made tracks with 4 sample tracks. Do the last one that's a point to point track. It's very Dragon-like!!!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/1/15 5:24 p.m.

Quick tip:

To get the scale correct, take a picture of the track in google maps (if it still exists) with the scale showing, then scale the picture when you bring it in by matching the scale to the one on screen (home straight can be located in any orientation). Interestingly, turn 1 of the Circuit of the Americas is TOO tight to be modeled!!

In a similar vein, when you create a custom track, zoom in a bit (500-1000 ft scale) or you will tend to make very large tracks. The Circuit of the Americas track required a zoom to the 500 ft scale.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/1/15 11:40 p.m.

Another tip:

Tight Corners: Narrower track will allow tighter corners (because of the mandatory guard rails). You can also get much tighter corners when you first drag out the corner then if you try to modify it or change the angle thing.

Also:

UPLOAD TRACKS AS YOU MAKE THEM. My app is not allowing me to upload and needs to be re-installed (another iPad works) so I need to re-make 3 tracks!

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/1/15 11:43 p.m.

this is a thing?! i might have to dust off my PS3 at some point!

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/2/15 9:30 a.m.

1000 internets to anyone who can map out Gingerman Raceway for me. (This looks way to complicated for my old brain)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/15 10:24 a.m.

That should be very easy. It looks flat also, so it should be pretty representative. I will see what I can do. Those types of tracks are the easiest / best types to do. The only concern there is that the front straight needs to be a minimum length (600m I think).

Any idea how wide the track is? Looks pretty narrow.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/2/15 10:24 a.m.

still waiting for the internet at home to be fixed so I can see if my tablet will let me use this app.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/2/15 10:32 a.m.
aircooled wrote: That should be very easy. It looks flat also, so it should be pretty representative. I will see what I can do. Those types of tracks are the easiest / best types to do. Any idea how wide the track is? Looks pretty narrow.

According to the track map here: 36 feet. Also, if you can adjust surface type, it was just repaved this summer. The only turn that is really banked significantly is turn 2.

BTW - You the man! I might just raise the contract price to 2,500 internets.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/2/15 10:38 a.m.

wow with all those dimensions it should be a piece of cake to map that.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
10/2/15 10:45 a.m.

I tried to make NCM, but a couple of the corners are too tight to make, even on the most narrow track settings. Booooooo

However I did use the google map scaling method that Air suggested and that's much closer to the true size.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/15 10:52 a.m.

The only minor issue I see is the minimum length of the front straight is 500m, which is 1640 feet. Looks like the real one is 1423, so it will need to be scaled up slightly (about 15%).

The dimensions on the track map BTW are almost exactly how they are shown in the app!

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/2/15 11:06 a.m.

Actually, the longest "straight" is 10b to 11, its just has a slight crest and a bit of a kink on the 10b end of it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dwGtnsXLeWrH3EHnEhgu6zuITgMuFWdymUxeE6CDoc9LzfkwTjeYXRAYNRVY0Zf6