1 2 3
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/15 11:32 a.m.

OK, that might work. That will move the start / finish over there, but that's probably a reasonable sacrifice.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/2/15 12:30 p.m.

you guys looking for some windy mountain courses, get the tracks from this guy

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/rckakashi14s-tracks-on-hiatus.335090/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/15 9:05 p.m.

Gingerman is up.

Pretty easy with that nice map. No elevation and I set the bank to normal.

The minimum straight is clearly longer then I read because I had to make the section after 10B a straight (rather then kinked in). Turn 3 also is not perfect, it was too tight to get the flat spot in the middle.

You can send me a friend request to get access (if you are not already a friend) or use this technique:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/downloading-others-tracks-without-fr.335172/

PSN Username is: allaircooled

Fun track BTW. Where there any significant races here? (we are thinking of doing a custom track / significant race series)

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/2/15 9:42 p.m.

Big races, no. Its sort of a "club level" track, but it did make GRM's staff favorites when they did the best race tracks a few years ago. Hosts a lot of track days, NASA and Chump/Lemons type of stuff. I believe the Big 3 also use it a fair amount for testing and demo's. Its a great track for noobies, since it has huge overruns, excellent sight lines and only a few places where you can actually hit stuff. (Turn 11 being the notable exception) It's a fast track overall. I actually did my first track day there, and its only about 45 minutes from my house, which is why I was hoping someone could put it together.

I think you might still be on my friends list from when I used to do the GRM weekly GT 6 races, so I'll check it out tomorrow. Given the quick delivery, 3000 internets to you, sir! Thanks!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/2/15 11:12 p.m.

Gingerman, VIR and Bridgehampton (updated to correct scale) are up. There is also a flat version of the first 6 miles of The Tail of the Dragon (V2 is high bank version, not that different). A re-scaled version of Riverside International Raceway is also up.

All tracks are on flat terrain with little visuals and guardrails (required), so they will not look a lot like the tracks, but the turns should be very close and to scale.

The small kink on the front straight of VIR had to be eliminated because of the front straight length minimum (probably not noticeable). I also had to widen the last corner because it was too tight for the maker.

VIR is an interesting course. Pretty big / fast in some places, but almost ALL parts of the course have some sort of curve happening! The guard rails may block the view of some parts of the course that otherwise would be visible. The length came out almost exactly correct though.

Next up: Try putting one of the tracks on a standard area with elevation (see if it can even be reasonably be done).

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/3/15 12:15 a.m.

VIR has lots of elevation change which I think makes the track the challenge it is.

Gingerman was my main racing location for a couple years. Crazy to know it is in GT6!!

Grattan Raceway, grand rapids, mi as my second racing home.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/3/15 8:40 a.m.

I agree. Any tracks that are not really flat will lose a lot of character using this creator (imagine Laguna Seca).

Grattan Raceway looks pretty flat. Do you want me to make a version? (Not sure the main straight is the min lemgth)

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/3/15 10:00 a.m.

Played around with Gingerman a little bit today. It's VERY close. Running with a similarly set up Miata, I even found the shift points were in the same place. Its pretty neat being able to try different lines on your "home track" on GT 6.

BTW - I've run at Grattan a few times. It's not nearly as flat as it looks! (Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Z3eDfAy_U ) It's not MRLS - but it rolls up and down quite a bit, to the extent that a lot of the corners end up blind. It's MUCH harder than Gingerman. I'd also love to have a version of Grattan to mess around with.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/3/15 11:48 a.m.

I am trying to make Dominion Raceway, a track that is currently under construction and set to open next year.. I am fighting with the correct scale and curve radius and track path proximity issues.

I have one that is almost 1/3 larger than it should be that I have almost identical to the track except for one very tight turn.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/3/15 12:50 p.m.

Gratten uploaded. It's a pretty small course, and the proximity of one part of the track to the other meant I needed to shorten up T3 and T6 a bit and reshape the last corner. I also gave it some banking to give it a bit of rise and fall.

Here is the current track list I have shared:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/3/15 12:58 p.m.
failboat wrote: I am trying to make Dominion Raceway, a track that is currently under construction and set to open next year.. I am fighting with the correct scale and curve radius and track path proximity issues. I have one that is almost 1/3 larger than it should be that I have almost identical to the track except for one very tight turn.

Three suggestions for tight turns:

• Hold down on track sections around it and the turn you are doing and select "decrease turn radius". This reduces the buffer around the track and make it easier to make tight turns and avoid other track sections. Main straight cannot be adjusted, so that can be an issue which you might help by moving the main straight a bit (which mean re-drawing the track)

• Zoom in: You can zoom in really close and it seems a bit easier to make tighter turns that way. One issue with being zoomed in though, you can only make very short sections (shorten then you would think at that zoom level).

• Try drawing then tightening with the adjuster. This can be tricky, but by playing with the adjuster and the positioning of the nodes, you can sharper, less smooth corners. VIR for example has almost no smooth / consistent turns!

That tight section at the end looks like your issue. With such a small course, the track that close together is a big issue. Other then making it bigger, my only suggestion would be to try to shorten up the back wiggle straight a big and make more room. I would also make sure to put the starting straight as far to the left as possible.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/3/15 1:24 p.m.

Yes the width of the front straight is an issue with the later section. At the correct scale that section falls within the straight buffer zone, and the front straight runs the entire length of the track.

The 1st one I made is 2.85 miles. I'll see if I can make a scaled down version closer to 2 miles but 2 miles is not possible with the straight length/width limitations. Thanks for the tip on decreasing turn radius I will play with that.

It sucks you can only import images to eifel flat. Also if I go back in to edit a completed track the loaded image has shifted and the track doesn't overlay on it anymore.

Still a cool app. Can't get my ps3 to dl updates so it may be a few weeks till I can test and tweak the tracks I am creating.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/3/15 1:40 p.m.

Air - any problem if I share your PSN ID with some of the guys from my local club? Most of them race/run Gingerman and Grattan a couple of times a year. I'm not sure how many have GT 6, but it might be worth it for at least a few of them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/3/15 1:54 p.m.

No problem at all. Let me know if they send me friend request so I can accept them.

They can try using the technique linked to above if they want also.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/3/15 2:25 p.m.

Well now I got dominion raceway to 1.90 miles. Just need to reload the image and scale up slightly.... I don't know the grading of the real track but I'm pretty sure its going to be fairly flat. I'll get some curbing in based off another image I have and some trackside objects based on renderings I have seen and get it uploaded.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/3/15 2:29 p.m.

I posted the link to the GT planet "how to" so you don't get 100 friend requests. Thanks again!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
10/4/15 12:25 p.m.

Great job air on all the created tracks, I appreciate it. I don't like Riverside International Raceway, there's too many straights after a similar sweeper. It feels somewhat like a drag racer's road course.

A flaw of the creator is that the background and the guardrails of the flat setups are all the same, so it looks like every created track is in the exact same location.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/5/15 7:07 a.m.

I guess I cant upload the tracks till I test them in game, which I cant do until I can get my PS3 to update. Should be able to leech off my sisters high speed internet towards the end of the month at my nephew's birthday party.

I have Dominion Raceway completed at 1.97 miles. I have also been experimenting with making some KML files in google earth of roads that I have driven in Smoky Mountain National Park. The real roads run parallel to creek beds so they run in the valleys and are relatively flat in real life. They should be quite fun above the posted 30mph speed limits. Hoping to just import them straight into the app and just smooth out all the curves.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/15 8:12 a.m.

I have posted a custom track "DEAN TEST01" that I think makes for a fun Spec miata track. Interested in feedback. My take on it is that I wish I had made it a little shorter and the corners in each of the three technical sections a bit bigger in radius (keeping the layout the same) Mudd and I tested last night and it was great fun with some tricky sections and enough elevation change in the right areas to give you blind corners and some off camber situations that are fun. I tried to pay attention to the topography when I was making it. The NB and NC miata's with the SM tuning rules were virtually dead even.

Air I think we need to do a custom track series next season!!!!!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/5/15 11:02 a.m.

Custom tracks sounds good. The only issue is that not everyone has access to the editor.

It's certainly not an issue creating tracks for others, they will just have to draw them out, but it's not ideal.

It looks like though, there IS a way to use the Track Editor on a PC. It requires an emulator, but at least it's an option:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanets-comprehensive-non-tablet-gt6-track-editor-guide/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/5/15 11:32 a.m.

Apparently jump tracks are possible. The primary trick apparently is to put as many control points as possible in the bumpy area (much like how Spool discovered turns have much less smoothing). Here is a track someone linked that I downloaded to my area but have not tried yet:

(original link): https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/friend/JFeixasNix/course/

Although jump tracks may not be ideal for racing, there might the possibility of making track that requires a softer suspension to control the car.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
10/5/15 12:47 p.m.

Air, I drove your VIR course yesterday and it's not bad. The lack of elevation changes definitely changes the feel of it (especially the climbing esses and going onto the front straight), and you're right that the barriers impede forward vision. The one thing that kept getting me was the kink in the back straight, which is actually the home straight in the GT version. It's on the map and maybe it gets used with some of the smaller configurations, but having only done full course I've never seen it used before.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/5/15 1:14 p.m.

Oh, OK. I actually created it without the kink first, then noticed it in the track map, so I added it! It's actually too mellow compared to the real kink, so probably best to remove it.

I still want to try and lay one of these over the real terrain to see what it does. It still won't be realistic though since the elevations changes will essentially be random.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/5/15 3:18 p.m.

I tried the jump track above. Not so good. The jump is near the end BTW. I did observe that the jump physics are pretty bad (not unreasonable considering). Jumping uphill always results in a nose down landing, jumping downhill always results in a back flip!. So, I suggest staying with uphill jumps.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/15 10:29 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Great job air on all the created tracks, I appreciate it. I don't like Riverside International Raceway, there's too many straights after a similar sweeper. It feels somewhat like a drag racer's road course...

Yeah, I am certainly not going to say Riverside is a great track, just historic. It's kind of like some of the old European tracks that seem to focus on straights and top speed with the turns just being a way to to get to another straight.

BTW - I am around 2 min a lap there in a stock BTR (no ABS) using the shifter and clutch (1:57 using the paddle shifters). With that setup, Riverside is plenty challenging!

Gingerman is actually one of my favorites of the customs. Nice little track with some good variations.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7gtjXsg78201Nssi7X2pEPDRonpYPgQDul3jRDLcSvmExyoVyrLXepxo8Jh8NsbR