Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/29/20 11:03 a.m.

anyone got a link to a good turorial or other options?  I want to try this cause I'm bored and happen to have an extra 52" tv in the basement. Not used. 

jb229
jb229 New Reader
3/29/20 12:20 p.m.

I don't have a tutorial but the basic needs are a reasonably powerful computer (not some $8k Alienware thing, just something made in the last 3 years or so with something better than Intel graphics) and a wheel & pedal set.  Felix Rosenqvist used to use an old Logitech G25 for years, and says that will work great for pretty much everyone.  There are newer models now but people do seem to like the Logitech wheels.  He did an interview with Sadokist after the first All Star Esports race run by The Race where he discussed his setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmwiPC4baY

EDIT: A quick update, Timmy Hill won today's eNascar race (the one broadcast live on OTA Fox stations and FS1) with a Logitech G27 setup, a desktop computer and a single screen.  Another thing I should mention is that, if you're not aware, Amazon is severely delaying all shipments right now and it could take up to a month to receive anything not perishable.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/1/20 11:28 a.m.

I'm in the same boat. I just ordered a Logitech wheel and it should be here today. I turned on my 3 months free from SCCA in iRacing and have been poking around. Seems complicated but I'm guessing it's one of those things where you get used to it quickly.

Edit: It's a Thrustmaster and it just showed up. Not looking forward to working the rest of the day.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/20 12:08 p.m.

I just signed up and did my first driving last night.  Be aware that EVERYTHING requires an update.  I have the DSL and it is slow.  It works fine for the actual racig but to install the software is about 4GB worth of downloads, then you have to do 2.6 GB of requried updates, then Each car and Track require updates at between 100-500 MB each.  So just be aware once you make the choice to join you are ~8GB of data away from actually racing.

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT that i've used on PS3 and on the PC with Assetto Corsa and now IRacing.    It works, the Force Feedback isn't the best but I managed a 1:02.XX at Lime Rock Park in the Rookie Solstice within 15-20 minutes of practice.  I also joined the practice sessions online for the Mazda Challenge at Laguna Seca.  Not quite as quick in the Mazda but in my session I was midpack which I'll take for my first night IRacing.  

I know people talk about how it takes a lot of getting used to but I find it to be straight forward to drive.  I don't have  a ton of SIM experience but played a lot of Gran Turismo and have been dabling in Assetto Corsa lately.  I like the Tire model in iRacing more then AC but like the open nature and buy it once aspect of AC.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 12:25 p.m.

I have a Logitech G27 that could use a new home if someone is looking to get into sim racing. It works with PC or PS3 as is.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/logitech-g27-wheel-and-pedals-for-sale/164843/page1/

If you are interested, let me know and we should be able to work something out.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/1/20 12:32 p.m.
nocones said:

I just signed up and did my first driving last night.  Be aware that EVERYTHING requires an update.  I have the DSL and it is slow.  It works fine for the actual racig but to install the software is about 4GB worth of downloads, then you have to do 2.6 GB of requried updates, then Each car and Track require updates at between 100-500 MB each.  So just be aware once you make the choice to join you are ~8GB of data away from actually racing.

That can be annoying, but just think of it this way:  Thats like 10-20% the size of a lot of new games :)

OP, if you are bored, have you considered the Dirt Rally 2.0 weekly challenges?  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/dirt-rally-20-grm-club/161876/page1/

There is also a two drink tuesday AC event:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/assetto-corsa-two-drink-tuesday-league-recruiting/154600/page1/

AxeHealey
4/6/20 8:56 a.m.

I'm not quite a week into it now and am loving it. I'm not sure if it's my wheel or settings or both but it was pretty difficult to know when grip was leaving at first but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've had my lap stats erase one time but I think that was a function of the old, semi-crappy computer I'm using. 

Lap times are starting to fall, so that feels good. My fastest actual lap of Lime Rock classic in the MX-5 is 1:00:5XX and the optimized time is 59:6XX. Not fast enough yet and certainly not consistent by any stretch but it's coming along!

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/20 3:24 p.m.

I've been on iRacing for for around 18 months now, I run more during the winter time and tend to just practice now and then when it is nicer out, obviously with the current situation I am using it more than I have in the past.

For wheel setup I use a third party program called irFFB, it takes a little bit to get it setup (it requires another program called Vjoy) but it gives you some nice options that are car dependent as you setup your wheel. You can adjust normal things like overall force and bumps but also how the wheel reacts to oversteer and understeer which can make it a bit easier to feel those things happening. The best part though is that you can choose to have unique settings for each car that load automatically when you are using that car. Single seaters like the skippy (this should be one of the first cars you purchase as it is one of the best series with really great participation) you can dial up the effort a bit to simulate the real thing with no power steering but then have a bit lighter settings for a car like the MX-5 where you end up driving one handed as you shift.

Another cool program with lots of adjustability is Crew chief. It replaces the in game spotter (which is fine for things like the skippy or the MX-5) and lets you use voice commands to change pit stop settings, fuel the car and give you info a about lap times and splits. There are a bunch of different voice packs for it and even an option to turn on cursing so they can cuss you out when you make a stupid move.

I'm currently enjoying the new Cayman in the game, it wasn't fun with the baseline setup but I was able to download one that really livens things up. It's a fun car to get the weight transfer just right to really get the front to bite into the corners without over-doing it and looping around.

Adam (Adam Poll on iRacing)

AxeHealey
4/6/20 7:10 p.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

Good tips there, thanks! 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 3:23 p.m.

tagging along without making a new post

which pedals/wheel do i want for games like dirt rally 2.0 for my ps4?  thinking about making a quick fold up rig with an extra seat because what the heck else would i be doing since there's no work

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZtYvZZO4lS8wxQwDARo0AYdr5xhyffZY6Vr4aHluBWHFY1w2YbplBliGVn8qMyM