BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/20 8:08 p.m.
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/20 9:03 a.m.

I will go with Penske #8 and Porsche #91.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/20 9:55 a.m.

I am going to try and watch at least some of it.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/8/20 5:00 p.m.

I see Jimmy Broadbent is going to be in the race. His popularity to driving ability ratio is off, but he will get a lot of people to watch his stream.

My pick is Team Redline for the overall win because they have the most Lando.

In GTE, I'll root for the Andre Lotterer and Neel Jani Porsche RSR because they somehow have an E-sports driver from the good ole USA.

I will root against the Team Penske LMP2 because Simon Pagenaud is on the team and he should be banned from anything more serious than a Forza publin lobby after his Indy Car debacle.

I won't make a concerted effort to watch as much of the 24 hours as I do for the real race, but will check in and watch it some.

BradLTL
6/13/20 7:42 a.m.

It's on now. YouTube or ESPN2

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/20 9:01 a.m.

I'm watching the WEC stream on youtube and Lando's stream on Twitch. 

BradLTL
6/13/20 10:26 a.m.

I'm very impressed with the production quality of the whole thing. It's got to be a lot to manage with all the various streams, data feeds, VoIP, etc.  They've taken it seriously and I really appreciate it. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/13/20 10:49 a.m.

I wonder why they are using RFactor2 vs. one of the more modern sims?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Agree. I also like how they did BOP for GTE by letting all drivers drive each car so sandbagging not an issue. 

BradLTL
6/13/20 11:11 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

rFactor 2 is probably the most used Sim by the drivers.  I'm sure that played a big part. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/20 11:26 a.m.

What else allows the needed field size, multiclass, driver changes?

iRacing does all of that, but not sure if there are any other real options. 

EDIT: iRacing 24hrs is next week. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/20 12:32 p.m.

Pagenaud having a spare rig and having to switch to it mid lap is about the most Team Penske thing ever. 

Also the fact he put in 150 hrs preparing for the race. 

BradLTL
6/13/20 2:09 p.m.

Saw they had to "red flag" and reset the server. I bet the people running the server hate having to get everything re-setup and re-invited. 

At least Fernando and Rubens get to rejoin. They've joined an elite group that includes me and Argo who have run out of gas during a race. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/13/20 6:48 p.m.

I missed what happened to Max. The #20 car is not in the top 18 now. 

EDIT: The commentators just mentioned they are in the pits. Lando and then Gregor (sp?) had them challenging for the lead last I saw them. 

BradLTL
6/13/20 7:22 p.m.

Yea, I missed it too. They just mentioned they are officially out. 

I love how the commentators talk about the tech issues just like mechanical issues in real life. 

BradLTL
6/13/20 7:37 p.m.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch:

https://youtu.be/qGzoLSmAvPY

BradLTL
6/14/20 6:42 a.m.

I haven't watched it all, but with 90ish minutes to go, it's played out very much like a real race. There are still battles for position, there has been some attrition, they've really done a great job with it. No it's not the same, but it was something to fill the void. 

It would be fun if the same teams, complete with Sim drivers had to run the real race. 

BradLTL
6/14/20 7:29 a.m.

30 minutes remain, gap between the the top 3 is 20 seconds and they are all on the line of being able to make it without another pit stop. 

So race as fast as you can, pass the car 20 seconds in front of you while lifting and coasting to save fuel to extend your stent by a lap. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/14/20 8:08 a.m.

Pretty exciting ending. The winner having to get pushed around on the cooldown lap presumably for running out of fuel. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/20 8:35 a.m.

I watched at it in between doing other things and it was more interesting to watch than I thought it would be.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/20/20 8:57 a.m.

iRacing is having their 24 hours today. Now I see why the official version used RFactor2. iRacing doesn't have the current cars in the game. Open cockpit LMP2? Not all the current GTE cars.  Not sure what LMP1 cars they have. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/21/20 8:53 a.m.

The race, which was held on rFactor 2 and run by the ACO, the FIA World Endurance Championship and Motorsport Games, was won by Rebellion Williams Esport’s driving crew of Louis Deletraz, Raffaele Marciello, Kuba Brzezinski and Nikodem Wisniewski.

It attracted a cumulative TV audience of 14.2 million sets across 57 different countries with segments broadcast by the likes of ESPN, Eurosport, Sky Sports and J-Sports.

Combined with almost 49 million social media impressions during race week, this created a cumulative digital audience of 63 million.

The Twitter hashtag #LeMans24Virtual was used 131.5 million times, while 13 million connections were made to the Alkamel live timing system to follow the race.

A total of 8,669,683 video views were registered across the 24H Le Mans, WEC and Motorsport Games social media channels, contributing towards a potential reach of 3.37 billion people.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCZCC9b79DFVLL8vHoTewkHN4kKfQjuGX2IuLFQHV1c9VGmMsrBdVs3QcSXBwnPJ