Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/6/14 1:23 p.m.

Well I have started to notice that my center point will shift mid game such that the wheel is turned about 5-10 degrees in the clockwise direction in order to drive straight.

I occurs randomly sometimes when I hit a wall in GT6. Other times when I am turning and just spin and hit nothing. The only solution is to unplug and let it recenter.

Anyone else seen this?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
2/6/14 1:45 p.m.

Are you sure it's not damage in the game? When we run the league races we have damage turned on, and hitting something hard enough will make the car pull on way or the other.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/14 2:06 p.m.

My wheel (not a G27, it's some old Gran Turismo branded thing) will get off-center occasionally (I want to say especially after an off, or a tank-slapper). It's not in-game damage, as it applies to menu nav and everything.

In my case, it can be corrected by pausing and cycling to full lock left and right, which seems to get the PS' notion of where center is straightened out.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/6/14 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Ransom:

Hard to do in an online race. But I never tried it offline either. I will try it. Thanks.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/6/14 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

Unfortunately, this happens even if I don't hit anything. It is not related to damage. I was worried that maybe there is a physical issue inside the wheel but I think it is gear driven so belt jumping teeth doesn't seem possible.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
2/6/14 2:29 p.m.

google to the rescue!

http://jlvrh.de/G27_UK.htm

it even talks about your issue, and how to fix it!

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/6/14 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Google:

Well thanks Google I guess I will look at that as well.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/8/14 9:50 p.m.

Well it has the cracked hub just like the guy mentioned in the website.

So I will have to get some epoxy and file a flat or something.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/8/14 11:29 p.m.

that sucks. At least you solved the problem.

I've noticed my G25 is a bit sketchy on Gran turismo games only. When it calibrates, the steering is always a little to the left, and after the pedals calibrate, I find the brake pedal dragging. If i push down the brake ever so slightly, it goes away, so I had to tape a rolled up piece of paper to the base of the pedal to keep it pressed slightly unless I want to be extra slow (which I don't, obviously ). Oddly enough, on PC sims I have absolutely no issues. Balanced steering, no brake drag, etc...

You have me worried, though. If G27's have this problem, what problems would the older G25 have

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/8/14 11:44 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: Well it has the cracked hub just like the guy mentioned in the website. So I will have to get some epoxy and file a flat or something.

You might consider getting a metal sensor wheel:

http://cmlaserservice.com/

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/9/14 12:07 a.m.

Here is a pretty creative mod to the pedal sensor pots (for future reference):

http://www.slashdocs.com/kszntv/g25-modification-for-pedals-v1.html

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/9/14 12:08 a.m.

I saw that brass sensor wheel but the 1-3 week delivery time made me somewhat disappointed. Still, I guess it is better than tossing out part of a $300 system I purchased. Or whatever I paid for it.

It is amazing that this problem is so big that someone makes a brass replacement for it. I would have thought a replacement plastic part would have been a cheaper design. Just need some more fiber in the plastic and/or increase the hub outer diameter a little while adding some stress relief in the ID. Molds may cost $$$ but molded parts are $/1000.

No racing with a wheel for a while and I just can't do it with the controller. I will try but man it is like trying to crawl instead of walk now. Spoiled.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/12/14 10:59 a.m.

So question:

Would you return the G27 for new replacement that could take 1-2 weeks or just fix it?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/12/14 1:42 p.m.

Hmm... that's a tough one.

My original G27 went up in smoke (literally) so I did have to return it. It did not take terribly long as I remember. My original one also went off center like yours but it seemed a bit noisy and eventually smoked one of the motors.

That being said. If they replace it, you still have essentially the same parts to create the same problem again. It was definitely good for me to get a new wheel (even before the smoke) since mine clearly have a fatal flaw, but if yours is working fine otherwise getting the sensor wheel seems like a good option.

Either way, getting another sensor wheel would work for you.

Note: I had taken mine apart already when I returned it. There is little to show you took it apart, just try to use the right screw drivers and not strip the screws.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/13/14 9:30 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Here is a pretty creative mod to the pedal sensor pots (for future reference): http://www.slashdocs.com/kszntv/g25-modification-for-pedals-v1.html

I finally read that through and it seems a bit daunting to me. My Mechanical Engineering head seems to get a bit loopy when I read too many electrical engineering terms.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/13/14 9:30 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Here is a pretty creative mod to the pedal sensor pots (for future reference): http://www.slashdocs.com/kszntv/g25-modification-for-pedals-v1.html

I finally read that through and it seems a bit daunting to me. My Mechanical Engineering head seems to get a bit loopy when I read too many electrical engineering terms.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/13/14 9:32 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Yeah I am leaning towards replacing it as at least I get new everything. May make things worse if they put in new cost cutting ideas that make the things more fragile. Still the encoder wheel would be an easy fix in the new one if I wanted to do preventative maintenance work.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
2/26/14 11:48 p.m.

Thanks for all the help guys. My new wheel set should be here tomorrow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kIlEKSoacuxFJGeMwKMPheMkqpUjaGRY9qdCjBGZy6oV5bqzim9V6RGQkcbMYSig