T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/6/19 1:46 p.m.

So, Slightly Mad Studios, creators of Project Cars, announced they are planning on entering the console market. 

Seems like an odd thing for a small company to get into. Maybe even slightly mad. 

Link

Thoughts?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/6/19 5:45 p.m.

Hmmmm.  Pretty much every new generation consol is “the most powerful ever”.  The big question is whether anyone will make software for it.  I wonder how much better it is than the next gen PS and X box anyway.

i am not sure how strong the consol market is at this point, so I will call it a hesitant maybe.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/6/19 6:11 p.m.

I'd like it to do well, but I don't see that happening.  Do they have enough investors to build custom hardware (chips), or are they just packaging PC components in a bigger box?  If think the former is the only way it will be price competitive.

Remember when Valve did this ~3.5 years ago?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/6/19 6:16 p.m.

My guess is that if it is not a PC in a cool box that can run existing PC games, it will suffer from lack of software titles and die off.

Yeah, it sounds a bit like Steam boxes and they didn't take over the world.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/6/19 6:21 p.m.

I don't think it will be a PC in box so much,  but I could totally see it being PC hardware with a custom linux OS.  Basically like steam OS, except more controlled hardware.

The lack of titles will still be an issue.  Especially with the huge console developers that are signed to Sony or Microsoft and will just laugh when Slightly Mad approaches them.

Its great that its VR oriented and all, but that is such a tiny tiny tiny piece of the market right now that I find it hard to believe a console for that purpose will get very far.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/19 1:55 p.m.

Could be another Steambox-like system, but with the specs they've listed it'll cost at least 2x as much as competing consoles. The expense of a high-end gaming PC minus the flexibility plus the network effect disadvantages of an oddball console, what could possibly go wrong...they're a great game development company so I'd hate to see them take themselves out with a hardware project.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/9/19 1:57 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

The expense of a high-end gaming PC minus the flexibility plus the network effect disadvantages of an oddball console

But it has a handle!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5CBAOSInudbjPvKEdbP0A02ZwIomO27pqnL4jcLE84zBSeHA6VESjiVWpdKvhlxT