RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/18 5:10 p.m.

New Orleans in the late 1960s, our protagonist Lincoln Clay arrives home from Vietnam to find the mob has taken over town, and it's up to him to set things right. 

Like I said, short review, so let's cut right to the pros and cons.

Pros:

Best soundtrack in a game ever.

Beautiful cars

Historical accuracy is pretty close. Segregation is still actively enforced (not that segregation is a good thing), most cars have white walls, the fastest thing on the street barely breaks 125mph

You can feed dead bad guys to alligators

Collection items include Max Vargas paintings, old hot rodmagazines, and classic issues of playboy that you can actually read the real interviews/stories in

Cons:

No fast travel

Extremely repetitive missions

DLC I still haven't gotten to trigger despite having paid for it over a year ago. 

Somehow a 20 something black man raised in the south in the 1950s who did a tour in special forces in Vietnam still can't jump over a chest high fence, and will regularly get stuck on knee high ledges.  Don't try to cut through the bushes either, they'll stop your vehicle dead in it's tracks. 

Ridiculously poor vehicle physics, even for "period correctness"

Segregation makes some things really freaking difficult to complete (duh)

So in conclusion, if you like driving beautiful cars that don't handle for E36 M3 back and forth across New Orleans while listening to CCR, it's worth checking out, but don't expect much more than that. It really is "drive here, kill these people, burn this down then hide from the cops" and repeat ad infinum. 

My suggestion if you do want to play it? Game fly, wait for it to show up on game pass, or get a used copy somewhere, definitely not worth full price, really definitely not worth full price plus season pass. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/17/18 5:15 p.m.

I bought it on sale last week, will maybe actually try it sometime.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/18 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

The first couple hours were alright, the story itself is actually really well written and well done, but the repetition and horrendous driving just kill it for me.

I've done everything now accept the racing DLC and there's a handful of achievements pointing at DLC story that has never started for me even though it's all owned and installed. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/23/18 4:51 p.m.

I have it for Xbox One, purchased mostly because I have the first two games (funnily enough, Mafia for Xbox, Mafia 2 for Xbox 360). 

It plays about the same as the first two, just prettier due to advancements in graphics. Partially wish I had waited a bit to purchase as its now in the $20 ('fake' money) range, and as stated, it is rather repetitive gameplay. 

Also I should see if the DLC is installed as that would add more to do to the game now that the game is 'finished', now just to do the collectables hunting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tHtIHht8mFJxIrVZJjE01s1s1bxFALWlp9F2qjPOtQhDwzuFrfbRRcbfBnXWyakg