1 2
nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/28/13 1:03 a.m.

In reply to Flyin Mikey J:

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/28/13 1:04 a.m.

It's 16. Waaay better than the 6 in gt1-4. I think more would be fun but often unnecessary in many of the smaller tracks. I bet 40 nascars at Daytona or a 50 car field at the nurburgring would be pretty sweet, though, but probably worlds beyond the ps3's hardware.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 1:13 a.m.

I've seen some great races with less than a full 16 car lobby. There was some in the vintage Trans Am and Mustang Challenge series that I hosted.

When you have six drivers at a good pace and about the same number a few seconds off pace, and enough laps on a short enough track for lapping to take place, things can get very interesting in a hurry. We had that happen in the spec Mustang series, and being in a six car scrap for the lead was fun... then when we got into traffic, it got somehow "funner".

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/28/13 1:23 a.m.

We very rarely have a full room for the league races.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 1:33 a.m.

The league I usually race with usually has multiple lobbies. I hate it when I am in the B or C lobby... until I realize there is a G lobby. Then all of a sudden the B lobby pole doesn't look so bad.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/28/13 1:44 a.m.

So I'm wondering if Forza is more popular in general than GT? Not that I'd ever switch because Xbox is the devil and I'm comfortable with these guy's.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 2:19 a.m.

X Box is Microsoft, so the majority of profits go to the greater Seattle area, whereas Sony is Japanese, so the majority of profits get spent in the greater Tokyo area.

Think Global, Buy Local

I am really starting to think that I have lived in Oregon way too long. Becoming Globally aware, aka first step to becoming a tree hugging left leaning hippie douchebag

As for popularity: I think that Gran Turismo is still more popular with the general gamer, but Forza has more of a diehard racer community.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/13 6:53 a.m.
Flyin Mikey J wrote: X Box is Microsoft, so the majority of profits go to the greater Seattle area, whereas Sony is Japanese, so the majority of profits get spent in the greater Tokyo area.

...or more correctly, China where they are both made.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
12/28/13 9:05 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Which reveals the biggest difference between the two games. Forza is about the look and sound. GT is about the driving.

A big EMPHATIC no.

Having raced cars for over 21 years now, I can tell you they get light and nervous at the limit. I have NEVER gotten that feeling with a road car in the GT series.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/28/13 11:23 a.m.

In reply to racerfink:

I never claimed it was a perfect analog.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/13 11:30 a.m.

Someone is going to come up with some sort of shell program that will allow the two systems to work together on line. That person is going to be the next basillionare.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
12/28/13 12:38 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Someone is going to come up with some sort of shell program that will allow the two systems to work together on line. That person is going to be the next basillionare.

Do you think that is actually possible?

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 1:12 p.m.
Argo1 wrote:
Flyin Mikey J wrote: X Box is Microsoft, so the majority of profits go to the greater Seattle area, whereas Sony is Japanese, so the majority of profits get spent in the greater Tokyo area.
...or more correctly, China where they are both made.

I doubt that the majority of profits of anything made in China goes to the factory workers. For example, most of Nike's profits end up here in Oregon, seemingly spent on the University of Oregon Duck athletic dept.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/28/13 1:34 p.m.
racerfink wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Which reveals the biggest difference between the two games. Forza is about the look and sound. GT is about the driving.
A big EMPHATIC no. Having raced cars for over 21 years now, I can tell you they get light and nervous at the limit. I have NEVER gotten that feeling with a road car in the GT series.

Having raced cars also... I can concur. None of these games does a very good job of simulating a real driving/racing experience any more than CoD makes you combat ready. The driving physics are all cartoony even with all the helpers off and wheel in simulation mode. Still... I do enjoy beating an R8 prototype in a 900hp 2002tii so I can suspend reality quite a bit to have a good time :)

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/13 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

All true. None of the games, er, sims are truly accurate but they are all accurate enough to have fun competition. The same skills that improve real lap speeds also improve sim lap speeds. Offs are just a lot cheaper!

The most accurate sim ever was Grand Prix Legends. Because it was so accurate, it was very difficult to drive. That made it not a commercial success with the average gamers.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 4:37 p.m.

Closest thing to a true console sim I have ever driven is Enthusia for the PS2. And, as would be expected, it too was a flop with the mainstream gamer.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/14 9:13 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: The most accurate sim ever was Grand Prix Legends. Because it was so accurate, it was very difficult to drive. That made it not a commercial success with the average gamers.

I loved that game!!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lBHSF28fZ3DAT61qDHayXf6G4i19Su3vgRPh4o7XrwrLhJStw2lWu3TVjCBh71Qj