1 2 3 ... 5
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/19 7:58 p.m.

Let's see where you end up...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/23/19 8:56 p.m.

Round 1 was earlier today. Round 2 is Hockenhiem. All races with McLaren GT3 car and default setups. Sauce may be able to win some money.  There were only 18 PS4 entrants for Round 1.

https://actrollvision.com/competitions/3PAcuK4WAY2EnJTKc

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/24/19 4:58 p.m.

I signed up for the Hockenhiem race. I will be happy if I am not last.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/24/19 7:44 p.m.
T.J. said:

I signed up for the Hockenhiem race. I will be happy if I am not last.

NEMESIS!!!

Brad, thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea.  I've signed up for Hockenheim as well, might even do some practice.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/19 11:29 a.m.

Did a few laps at Hockenhiem. The McLaren feels ok with the default setup. I'm not sure about ABS, TC and Stabilty Control. They are all allowed by the rules, but not sure how they are set in the default setup. I think you can set buttons to change these in big steps like Hi, Lo, off, but I haven't tried to figure that out yet. Track limits, full damage, and pit exit penalties all being on are a bit different than I am used to.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/26/19 12:42 p.m.

I want to get into the 1:39's, but haven't yet. My best lap so far is about a half a second off.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/29/19 5:13 p.m.

Hopefully tomorrow is fun. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 8:48 a.m.

I didn't realize there may or may not be a race at 1100 and then another one at 2 pm. That changes my day's plans - I wasn't planning on racing all day. I think I can still make it work. The 2pm may line up with Sauce Jr's naptime though.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/30/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Yeah, this whole thing hasn't been well communicated. However, you are correct that the 2pm final is during Sauce Jr's nap time which is nice. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 1:52 p.m.

Sauce takes the win and some cash!  I’m pumped for you. 

My qualli was a mess as I was behind the slowest guy who kept running 2:47 laps. I’d leave a 3sec gap in S3, then catch him in T2 and get stuck following him. Sometimes I’d pull along side but wasn’t sure about the no passing rule in qualli and didn’t want to get a penalty. Ended up 9th in qualli. Was on pace to finish 4th but I crashed following 3rd too closely for too many laps. Still fun though even though I was way down in 6th. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/30/19 2:28 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Thanks man!  I didn't know about the "no passing in qualifying" rule, got lucky it wasn't enforced.  On my first flying lap I got a double draft down to the hairpin and blew my braking point, ducked inside to avoid contact and ended up ahead of the other 2 cars.  I also got absurdly lucky in both qualifying and the race start.  I started my last flying lap that netted me pole with exactly 1 second on the clock, and at the start came about as close to jumping the light as is possible without actually doing it.  I had a 1.5s lead going into T2, which is nuts.  I'll have to get some practice for the next one in over the next couple of days, I'll be gone Wed-Sat so I'll be coming in relatively cold.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 3:04 p.m.

It was poor racectaft on my part. Swizzlerizzie was not too far behind me then there was a decent gap to whomever was first in line. I should’ve pulled off and waited 10 seconds instead I just kept following mr 1:47 lap guy around. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/19 4:47 p.m.

These guys right here...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 8:56 p.m.

Lol, just watched the stream. They were riding onboard with me when I was fighting for 3rd and the guy went wide off the track in T1. I saw him heading back towards track and thought he was going to collect me so I jigged right only to lose it and end up nose into the wall. They mentioned me at the end saying it was probably my first ever online race, so 6th place was pretty good. 

I nearly got killed in the hairpin on the last lap when a guy ahead spun then smashed into the wall then backed out right into traffic. I made a little contact as I squeezed by at the exit of the hairpin. According to commentators if I would've reported him for unsafe driving he'd get banned from qualli next race. Reports have to be done within an hour of the end of the race, and at the time I had no idea how he got to be sitting right in the racing line, so I didn't think that he had a tantrum, drove into a wall then reversed right out in front of me. I think it was sharkey. I doubt I'd report him anyway since I didn't end up dead.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 9:12 p.m.

I doubt I'll be able to make it to the next race at Indy Road Course because I've been roped into to going to a concert 3 hours away Saturday night and I doubt I'll be home in time to race. I guess I'll have to wait until Monza to try again.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 9:18 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

2.1.2 QUALIFYING
Please do not overtake in qualifying unless flashed through, Failure to do so will incur a DQ from the next available competition week.

I have no idea what this means and I don't think anyone really answered it in the chat when I asked. I kept thinking the slow guy would get the message and obviously let me by or he would start turning decent laptimes. I won't make that mistake again. 10 minute qualli is not much time especially since I sat in the pits and came out 2nd to last because my pitbox was near the beginning of the pits.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/30/19 10:11 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Haha, I also watched the stream but missed that comment.  One thing I kinda wish they had addressed was clarifying that I didn't actually jump the start.  I was as close to it as you probably could be, but I didn't.  If not for that I would have been under some actual pressure from Zebra early on which would have made it a very different race.

After watching the stream I kinda want to spend more time in open rooms and get more wheel to wheel practice with people I don't know.  Everyone here is a known quantity, and when you race with the same people week in and week out you kinda take for granted that you know how other drivers will react in a given situation.  Random people online are a crap shoot.  It probably wouldn't help my driver rating, but might help dealing with traffic in future races.  The funny thing is, the announcer was right about people coming from Time Trails, there were a couple people in there that reminded me of me when I first started with this group. I could turn a fast lap time but was all over the place, inconsistent, made low % moves, and forced issues I shouldn't have.  I have to give credit to Dean, Argo, and Air for getting me through those early days and teaching me some actual race craft.  

As for the qualifying thing, I also don't know how that was supposed to work and the others around me didn't seem to either.  I came out behind 2 other cars with what should have been a reasonable gap, but they were both driving like 50% on the out lap except for the straights.  I didn't know about the light flashing thing, but any time I got alongside to see if they would lift and let me by they just stayed on it.  My accidental dive bomb was probably the best thing that could have happened to me in terms of track position.  

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/30/19 10:25 p.m.

Oh, two more thoughts.  First, they announcer was right about how American my user name is, it's actually lifted from a Taco Bell sauce packet and was a running joke in college.  Secondly they aren't messing around with payments, they use PayPal and it's already hit my account same day.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/1/19 7:08 a.m.

GRM should start an esports team. If you were [GRM]mmmSauce, they would’ve already gotten something out of it. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/1/19 2:15 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

You know, you might be on to something there....

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/2/19 8:42 a.m.

Besides missing round 3 at Indy, if I end up somehow getting a first or second in one of the other rounds, I will not be available for the final in October. Will be away for work pretty much for October. I like that the races are 2 weeks apart, so plenty of time to practice. I wish they didn't mandate default setups though. I'd like to qualify for the final even if I won't be able to race in it.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/4/19 11:22 a.m.

So, I may be able to make round 3 at Indy after all. Haven’t done any laps there yet, but I’d better start practicing. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/4/19 11:59 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

It's a pretty easy track, the only tricky thing is going to be tire temps vs pace, if you beat on it the left rear gets hot and then too much throttle will make you spin. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/4/19 12:39 p.m.

I’ve been working on Monza and it’s not been all that encouraging so far. I’ll try Indy. Signed up for the race. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/4/19 8:19 p.m.

To give you a target, fast lap I'm in the mid to high 24's with 65L (I can't seem to change the fuel load when consumption is off), and haven't done done any long runs but 25's aren't too hard to come by.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WapiW9qYHA1AjnUgRoAAJEFkn2WiELt2JtkfkS2HXeLtJFJy31McKWXDpZ1pdq9L