1 2 3 4
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/7/19 7:57 p.m.

I'm going to give Donnington GP a try tomorrow. I'm hoping to make it a race without damage for once.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/8/19 3:09 p.m.

Well, I managed to finish one of these races without any damage, but the bad news is I spun twice and finished 9th. Only top 8 move on to the real race. 

My plan was working great until I spun in the chicane and had to sit still while 3 cars drove past. That dropped me to P8 and from there I managed to lose a spot. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/8/19 3:10 p.m.

Sauce moved on to the next race, but he made it interesting. I’ll watch the stream.  Good luck Sauce. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/8/19 8:02 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Well, it wasn't until watching the stream that I found out that you can wait to do a drive through penalty, I assumed like everything else in the game if you don't serve it immediately it would throw a fit.  Lesson learned.  I'm rather disappointed though, I felt really good, had good race pace, and think I could have actually competed with Operator had I served the penalty later.  Not won mind you, the penalty would have been too steep for that, but at least on the podium.  

Interestingly I changed the brake force setting before the race.  I did a bit of testing, realized I went too far and backed it off a bit, and then went into the race never having tried the new settings.  I turned out they were great and I was able to get the car rotated much better under braking.  However, that extra rotation came with higher temps and wear on the outside rear tire.  My LR was 20* hotter than the RR almost the entire time and I really struggled putting power down, especially when not in clean air.  Coming out of TJ's turn I used to be able to feather at the crest, let it take a set, then hammer down.  In the race following the same timing the car would just kick sideways, and a couple of times I actually caught grass on the inside trying to just catch it with the wheel.  Now, the car was also better under braking and at entry so I wasn't losing much time, but it was not easy to drive.  Eventually that difficulty and traction imbalance caught up with me, I caught a little curb and the grip difference between the two sides caused the car to snap, sending me into the wall.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/9/19 6:50 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

I was wondering if they were correct when they said you could choose to serve the drive through whenever you wanted. Certainly the last lap would be the best if they are right, but I'm not 100% sure they are right. Seems like something to test out and see how it works. I would've done what you did, assuming the game would DQ you if you didn't go through the pits at the end of the first lap.

EDIT: There is always Zuhai. I'm not familiar with that track, but planning on doing enough practice over the next 2 weeks to hopefully get a decent result for once. Seems like a dumb track without much interesting character.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/10/19 8:17 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I also don't know Zhuhai but it doesn't seem bad.  That said, it is trickier than it initially appears and finding reference points for braking is tough in some places.  There are also some corners that are either bumpy or just don't have much grip, which will probably get more interesting with time progression.  This is especially true through T1-2, the traditional line doesn't work due to the track surface.  Keep it tight and off the bumps and you can get on throttle much earlier and with less drama.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/11/19 8:42 a.m.

Agree on the braking points being hard to spot. I’ll try an inside line on T1/2 to avoid the bumps. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/12/19 3:42 p.m.

Got a 1:33.7 today trying to use some of your coaching tips and I lost a lot of time at T4, so low 1:33’s are in my reach. 

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
7fWprCmOTiW471VibqOMwgH2KxyxoXMS8qoof5duUoxUEMunGlfFV6BWOV714H6k