1 2 3
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/18 3:28 p.m.

Or just make it rainy for some of the race and dry for some of each race. That pretty much forces pit stops. Although, the RSR probably does not have ABS or TC. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/18 6:18 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to Argo1 :

I think the RSR just has one choice for slicks. 

You are correct.  You cannot set camber by tire temps either.  They always register even across the tread regardless of setting.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/8/18 10:14 a.m.

I was goofing around with the RSR, looking for a dirt track to try out, and ran across one of the Mohave layouts (hill climb, or something like that).  Turns out it is not a dirt track, but is an interesting track in the RSR!  It's a bit like that GT track that Dean liked with the suicide downhill.  Not as bad, but there is a step downhill that runs into a steep banked turn!

I am not suggesting it for a series track at all (very narrow), but a fun drive. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/18 10:15 a.m.
aircooled said:

I was goofing around with the RSR, looking for a dirt track to try out, and ran across one of the Mohave layouts (hill climb, or something like that).  Turns out it is not a dirt track, but is an interesting track in the RSR!  It's a bit like that GT track that Dean liked with the suicide downhill.  Not as bad, but there is a step downhill that runs into a steep banked turn!

I am not suggesting it for a series track at all (very narrow), but a fun drive. 

It doesn't have a pit lane either.  That's why I've never used it.  I'm not sure what happens to cars when you go to the pits without a pit.  Surely they thought about that.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/8/18 10:30 a.m.

Well, I guess if you do races, they cannot require pit stops.  

I do wonder where cars appear when you come out of the "pits" and what they show in the "pits" when you are there.  Was it GT6 that would plop cars right in the middle of the straight at zero speed on one of the tracks?

BradLTL
6/25/18 11:12 a.m.

I guess back on topic. 

What do we want to do on Wednesday?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/18 1:02 p.m.

I'd like to do a test with Radical RXC Turbos. 

They are fast enough to not be boring on full size tracks (like the RSR). 

They come in more colors than skittles (including yellow for Argo).

They like to power oversteer when the turbo spools (Air).

I did a handful of laps at Brands Hatch and I'd like a season of these so I can learn to be smoother with my throttle inputs. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/18 2:19 p.m.

The Formula C cars are not high powered, but seem like they could be fun as well.

I did a couple laps in one of the rally cross cars at Brands - not my favorite, but they do have two default tunes (circuit and rally cross).

I drove the Megane touring car for 2 turns and exited. I then drove the Megane Cup car for about 1/3 of a lap and exited. I still haven't driven the Clio, but I am not real excited about anything FWD honestly.

I thought the radical SR3 might be one for a good spec series, but my first impressions were that I'm not sure i like it.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/18 2:23 p.m.

Anyone try the BMW 320 TC?

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/25/18 2:50 p.m.

I was actually impressed with how competitive the very different LMP1 cars were with each other. A series of short and longer multi class races including weather and pit stops on the actual Euro tracks? All the humans in LMP1.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/18 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

That would be fun. I wonder if the high downforce Fuji version of the Audi would be a ringer at tracks other than LeMans though?

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/26/18 7:37 a.m.

In my tests of the LMP1 cars, I was not a big fan of them, but I think that is mostly due to my poor ability to drive them anywhere near their potential. I also did not spend any time adjusting them, so I am sure that is part of my problem with them. 

I did enjoy the GTE class, maybe a multiclass race series with humans in both classes? 

If the typically faster people run the faster class, and the slower people (like myself) drive the slower class I think it makes for a more competitive overall series as there are two podiums to battle for. This would probably be better if we had more people participating. Looking at last series looks like we only had 5-6 consistent human participation which could get boring in a multiclass race. 

I'm in for anything just tell me when and what to run. The higher performance the car, likely the worse I will do, but I will give it hell. 

I won't be on tomorrow night unless I want my fiance to cancel our wedding this weekend lol. I need to start building a sim rig for the office as the living room couch is getting uncomfortable. 

BradLTL
6/26/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to BatsonWorkshop :

Don’t worry about the couch, once you’re married your games will be banished to the closet or basement.

smiley

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/26/18 9:42 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

My rig lives in the garage. This time of year it is pretty hot down there. I had it in the guest room for a while, but moved it to the garage when guests came. Now my older son seems to be living in my guest room.

In reply to BatsonWorkshop :

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Smart to focus on that this week.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/26/18 9:49 a.m.

I'm not sure how the LMP1 cars are on regular circuits. I didn't really make any significant changes from the default setup for LeMans. Just altered tire pressures a bit and adjusted the brake bias and longitudinal weight distribution. I may have changed the aero a click - not sure. But didn't touch the suspension or differential settings. I didn't even touch the traction control setting.

I'll show up and play in whatever series we come up with, but I'd ideally like cars that are faster or at least in the same ball park speed wise as the GT3 cars. I did a couple laps around Brands Hatch in about 20 different cars over the past 2 days. One surprising find is the old Watson Indy roadster car. It only has a two speed gearbox, so that takes some getting used to, but it was surprisingly fun.

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/26/18 11:11 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Thanks! I contemplated setting up a spot in the garage but don't want to consume garage space lol. I have 850 sq ft. and feel like I am out of space with 3 cars, project car in the near future, tools, snowblowers etc. Can never have enough garage space. 

Cleared a spot in the corner of my office yesterday right next to my computer, will be getting a 36-42 inch tv for dual purpose gaming and computer use. Have a racing seat I picked up for free and going to build a setup based off the seat/pedal/wheel and shifter dimensions of my mini since I find that pretty comfortable to drive in and design it similar to this http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/681-simul8r-mark-ii-pvc-plans-bottom-of-pg-7-donations-accepted/?page=55 I'll put my engineering degree to good use over complicating a sim racing seat lol. 

As for the series, I do like the idea of adding a pit stop requirement for tracks that have a pit lane. Adds some extra strategy to the race beside car setup and sheer driving skill. 

Argo1
6/26/18 3:14 p.m.

I'm good with whatever you guys want. I like a bit of performance. I also don't mind the idea of a spec car this time.  I'm in favor of a mandatory pit stop and weather. One of the Radicals was fun. SR8? Don't remember. The faster one.

BradLTL
6/26/18 4:14 p.m.

Series 4 will be a spec car. I like Airs idea about running the RSR with mixed opponents from Vintage A Cars. I’m also a fan of the Formula C Cars. 

We’ll probably run the Radicals, F-Cs and the RSRs tomorrow. Probably 30 minutes of practice and maybe 3 lap races. 

The track will be something like Silverstone. Known with a good mix corners and straights. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/26/18 4:24 p.m.

Silverstone should be very interesting with the RSR's and the Vintage A AI cars.  The Jags will run away in the long straights, and the RSRs will destroy them in the corners.  Thankfully, the track is wide enough to easily get by the AI cars in the corners.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/18 11:03 p.m.

tried the 924. Just lime mine when I was racing it. Not sure that is a good thing. Some twerking would help it alot by it is a real good base line to start with.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/27/18 8:08 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Don't throw your back out with all the twerking.wink

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/28/18 5:34 a.m.

So, what did we learn last night? The suspense is killing me. I found the RSR to be way more fun once I stiffened the springs and raises the slow bump rates and messed with brake bias. 

Argo1
6/28/18 9:33 a.m.

The FC cars were fun but my vote is still for an RSR series.

BradLTL
6/28/18 9:59 a.m.

We ran the radicals, Formula C, and the RSRs last night. 

Personally I liked the FC cars the best of the group and the Radicals second. The RSR is going to take some tuning effort to get it where I would want it. 

So, with all that said, round 1 will be Karts on Historic Spa. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/18 10:10 a.m.
BradLTL said:

....So, with all that said, round 1 will be Karts on Historic Spa. 

Alternating between snow and rain though, right?

I think the RSR will be a great series.  Certainly they are a challenge, but it will give us something to grow into and learn.  By the end of the series, I expect everyone to be able to flick one into a nice drift to cut around slow corners (or cut inside one of the Jags)!

I found the Radicals interesting, but a bit frustratingly inconsistent in handling.  The Formula C's where much more predicable, but I would worry they would get a bit boring (no one would every make a mistake).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YBJZNFRJ7dr2RBISAP9XaC0V4P5gVMwHfSaOUG3wMJysBbOXQlwFoMmAVAXoqr7P