1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/17/18 4:17 p.m.

Uh oh.... it's Dean Picks week!!

An option might be the Clios, or just something we have not played with yet.  Street cars?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/18 6:31 p.m.

Air you can host if you want. 

dean1484
9/17/18 6:32 p.m.

Then again that scares me a bit. We could end up with F1 on snow or something. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/17/18 7:34 p.m.

Oh come on! F1’s on snow! .....   917’s on snow though, that has potential....

You will probably be able to on sooner then me, so you can do it if you want. We can play it by ear, maybe even switching over to change tracks.  

We also might want to leave the room open to see who show up (probably not many to Porsche’s On Ice).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/18/18 8:37 p.m.

I did a few laps in the Audi tonight.  Very easy car to drive fast.  I was in the low 1:11's very quickly.  Driven hard it does like to eat front tires, but I suspect some tuning and driving adjustments would reduce that a lot.

dean1484
9/19/18 2:29 a.m.

I was thinking that we could run with out tire ware. That would go a long way in equalizing things. 

dean1484
9/19/18 10:30 p.m.

Good fun tonight. We had a full room.  I ran Road E I think. The set of road cars that has the street version of the 959 in it. Good racing across the field.  The 959 and the C63 AMG were definitely good cars. The c62 takes some getting use to but once I figured out how to drive it it was fast. Conversely the mustang was a pos. 

I will let air comment on the class he ran as I don’t remember what it was.  It was fun. It had the 924 race car in it. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/20/18 12:21 a.m.

I believe it was Group 5.  Only 3 cars in it, the BMW M1, 924, and a Ferrari.  The 924 is slow but nimble, the BMW is fast but LOVES to understeer for some reason.  The Ferrari drives a lot looser but I didn’t get a change to see how fast it was (about the same power as the BMW though).  As Dean mentioned, it might be a fun crowd on a small track to give the 924 the most advantage.

I would not enjoy running the M1 in a series. It drives a lot like many of the super cars in GT.  A car up you think would oversteer but is set up to constantly fight itself and plow.  It would take a bit of tuning to make it behave.

The road cars where a lot more interesting then I expected.  Probably a few ringers in there, not sure it would make for balanced racing, but a good variety.  We did get about 6 drop-in's at one point.  Nothing terrible with the driving and only one talker (who was not very good, and talked a bit too much).

Based on what the AI was doing, the 959 and the Merc seem to be the fastest, but the Merc is likely harder to drive.  The Mustang was surprisingly fun to drive (actually pretty good turn in), but clearly a bit slower then some of the cars.  The EVO's seemed to be a contender (but probably not as fast as the Merc or 959).

dean1484
9/20/18 2:16 p.m.

Has anyone tried the:  2012 GINETTA G40 JUNIOR ????

dean1484
9/20/18 2:22 p.m.

I looked it up and it was Road Cars E.  I liked them when I was driving teh 959 or the C63.  Those are fun cars.  The Mustang absolutely was a POS.  I was having throttle response issues with the Mustang that made it even worse.  I hope it was specific to that car and it was not my peddles acting up.  These cars are a bit slower that what we have been running lately and they don't have the handling that a race car does nor do they get race tires.  You get P zeros as the best tire and there is a soft and hard compound.  We sure did get a room full of people when we raced these cars.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/20/18 3:38 p.m.

If you run the PC2 built in series, one of the first classes you run is the Ginetta.  Basically a very low powered race car.  Kind of like a Miata with a fiberglass shell on it.  My suspicion is that we might end up with Spec Pinata, but it might be worth a try.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/18 7:03 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Has anyone tried the:  2012 GINETTA G40 JUNIOR ????

I ran the single player campaign in it early on. It was surprisingly entertaining on small bumpy tracks where you could get into slow drifts. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/21/18 12:42 a.m.

Another thing we noticed with the street cars is that you crew chief seems to be confused by them sometimes.  He kept saying the brakes on my Ferrari where overheating.  I checked, they we’re up to about 900, but still green. Ignoring the question of how the hell he know what the brake temps are.  Someone else noted that his was saying is Merc was overheating, after two laps.

dean1484
9/21/18 5:30 p.m.

I had the AI at 90/25 and they were respectable.  In the first race I caught and passed the ai for the win the on the last lap of the 15 min race and it was no easy task.  

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/21/18 6:37 p.m.

I'm back in town, anyone up for some more testing this Sunday?  I may be around tomorrow night too but I'm not sure.

I seem to remember the GTE car is decent but probably would be Spec Pinata.  I haven't really tried any of the road cars.

dean1484
9/22/18 11:57 a.m.

I really came to like the AMG C63 in the road E cars. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/24/18 10:10 a.m.

Ran some Road E cars last night with Dean and some randoms. The Merc is stupidly fast in a straight line, I couldn't do anything with the 1M to even be close to keeping up. Speaking of the 1M, the stability control is a significant problem and causes both weird handling and extreme instability under braking. I don't understand it, but turning ABS off made the car exponentially better to drive but not really any faster. Overall I don't hate the cars, but need to try some other ones out. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/24/18 8:40 p.m.

Did a brief bit of testing tonight in more Road E cars.  The Ferrari is fast but tricky to drive and had trouble overheating tires and brakes.  It claimed to have ABS but it sure didn't seem like it.  Then I tried the C63 and that thing is both a missile and easy to drive.  For consistency I ran at COTA again, and in 5 laps I was 4 seconds faster than my best lap in the 1M (that I ran for 2 hours yesterday) and 2 seconds faster than the Ferrari.  I also tried the 959 but was getting tired and bailed after a couple laps.  That car is definitely fast and might be able to give the C63 a run for its money, but I need to figure out how to drive it.  The combination of AWD with older 911 tendencies makes for a rather challenging car.

dean1484
9/25/18 10:56 a.m.

Sauce did you try my "tune"  for the C63.  It really was not much at all just some minor tweeks to some basic things and it becomes a really fun car to drive.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/25/18 5:57 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I couldn't find it. I'm not sure if it's because I was in a different car at the time or that I didn't immediately save it, but it wasn't there. I ran a 2:22.4 completely stock with the exception of turning off traction control. 

dean1484
9/26/18 7:46 a.m.

Brad. What is your plan for tonight?  

dean1484
9/26/18 7:55 a.m.

Interesting I ran with TC and ABS set at the default. I moved brake bias so it was a little to the rear and decreased engin braking. Messed a little with gearing basically making it as low as possible and lowered tire pressures to around 20.8 cold. It was good fun to toss around in the corners. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/18 8:57 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Sit back, have a beer?

I wish... I’m probably out for tonight and next week. We are reorganizing 200 people at my work in the middle of trying to deliver several high priority and time sensitive projects. Also, we are trying to coordinate a family yard sale this weekend.

We can do test-n-tunes for a couple weeks, or if you are ready to get a series going I can step back from being the administrator for the series. Up to you. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/26/18 9:20 a.m.

Personally I'm fine with test and tune weeks. There's a huge amount of the game that I've never touched and don't mind the time to try it. It would also probably be better for participation if we waited a bit. 

dean1484
9/26/18 4:14 p.m.
BradLTL said:
dean1484 said:

Sit back, have a beer?

I wish... I’m probably out for tonight and next week. We are reorganizing 200 people at my work in the middle of trying to deliver several high priority and time sensitive projects. Also, we are trying to coordinate a family yard sale this weekend.

We can do test-n-tunes for a couple weeks, or if you are ready to get a series going I can step back from being the administrator for the series. Up to you. 

You are our “Grand Poobah” and fearless leader. More practice and exploring things is fine with me. 

Obligatory Grand Poobah photo. laugh

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xF4DNO97X8HjDetngke0XNw6uwnI7LEuPBu4HcIfo5fPwAA2THxal03hB39axIQR