loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/24/20 11:44 a.m.

I had Gran Turismo 4 on a Playstation and played the heck out of it, completing 98% of the possible races. I landed up wearing my steering wheel out completely and exchanged the whole kit for an XBox, G920 wheel and Forza 7. I've been very disappointed with the feel of the racing through the wheel(yes, force feedback is working) and I've tried changing the settings to what the internet says but it's only been slightly better. I just got Assetto Corsa and it's pretty much just as poor. With the old GT4, I could feel understeer and the cars behaved like you would expect the real cars to behave but I get none of that with Forza or Assetto Corsa. And Assetto Corsa has miserable sound affects for the cars, none of them sound anything like the real cars. Any suggestions for fixing these games or is there a program that is closer to reality?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 12:02 p.m.

Ditch the console and go with a real PC sim setup?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 12:32 p.m.

Go back to the PS?  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/3/20 11:52 a.m.

I don't care for Forza 7 and the G920. I enjoy using it with Forza 6 much more (the menus in Forza 6 are much better as well). The G920 is just an okay wheel. I wish I would have never ditch the G27 I had just to have a wheel that worked on the xbox. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/3/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I wonder if they specced a cheaper, less powerful, motor for the backdrive on it... and are trying to make up for it with higher gearing.  Could also have a less precise position sensor adding to the troubles?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/3/20 12:20 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

I wonder if they specced a cheaper, less powerful, motor for the backdrive on it... and are trying to make up for it with higher gearing.  Could also have a less precise position sensor adding to the troubles?

I def think they specd out baseline parts for the G920. I know it shares a lot of components with the G2X series of wheels from logitech but overall it feels pretty cheap. I removed the 1/4inch rubber block from the brake pedal which was doing nothing but making it impossible to get a full range of motion on the brake pedal. The potentiometer would only read about 75-80% max on some games with that rubber block in the pedal. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
9/10/21 8:31 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

They did not, the gearing and motor components of the G27*, G29, G920, and G923 are all identical.  I've had quite a few of them apart.  Any force feedback differences are in software implementation.

*In 2014 or so the G27 got a different encoder wheel to deal with them breaking.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/21 6:14 a.m.

This sounds driver or software related. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y9vBkzxnRh7Usk4vwAkUxXWmzwMpwFGFhMN0KfHJseeP4ejnXKNkZOpr5YERX23p