1 2 3 4 5 6
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 7:10 p.m.

I liked the Megans the least. I liked the Clio because I figured put How to drive it and with a bit more practice and a track I knew they would be a blast. 

i liked the super cars. You have to respect them but very rewarding. I figured put a couple things with them that made them much more drivable. I also like having to apply throttle with care instead of just matting it. 

The vintage cars are fun. I would not mind a series with them at all. 

I am all for testing other cars. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/15/18 9:17 p.m.

I really enjoyed the Supercars, they're big, heavy, loud, and overall a riot.  You need to be judicious with the throttle and avoid curbs at certain phases of the corner, but when you get it right it's glorious.  

The Megane was OK, but I think with some tuning it could be a really fun car.

I was kinda meh about the Clio, but it might have been because we were running them at a huge track.  Smaller tracks and a bit of work might make them decent.

The Vintage cars are OK and I wouldn't mind running a series with them, but overall I think I prefer the more modern cars.  I don't much care for the wallowy cornering and no brakes.

dean1484
3/16/18 9:01 a.m.

So can you run a rally car series on pavement?  That could be interesting. 

dean1484
3/16/18 9:04 a.m.

For the Clio think Scandinavian flick. Get the car rotating on turn in and then it is all power through the corner. I was having a blast with them. If you get it right the rotation is scrubbing speed while the power is pulling you through the corner meaning you need little if any brakes once you get it sorted. 

dean1484
3/16/18 10:52 p.m.

Some possible series to look at

Road C

Road D

Road E

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/17/18 12:11 a.m.

Yes, we haven’t really done anything with road cars.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/18 6:56 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

They seem very uneven in term of performance. I think they are better suited to a single make series. The X-bow and the GT3 are fun to drive around though. 

dean1484
3/17/18 11:12 a.m.

Won’t know until we try them. 

dean1484
3/17/18 11:17 a.m.

Could we try something with accelerated tire an fuel settings.  We could then learn how the pit stratigy thing works. 

BradLTL
3/17/18 11:26 a.m.

You can only accelerate fuel, tires are on or off. Which sucks because you could accelerate both in PC1

dean1484
3/17/18 8:35 p.m.

I was going to try and run some tonight but I want to see the end of the 12 hours of Sebring 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/18 4:27 p.m.

The only true even class is GT3 because the developers actually use BOP to even the cars. It also has the greatest variety.  I didn't hate them as much as everyone else. Maybe now that we sort of know what we are doing, and the handling update, they might be worth a second look. Certainly the most popular online class.

BradLTL
3/19/18 5:40 p.m.

I enjoyed the GT3 cars. I have some others I want to try out still. I think the AMG might actually be the fastest of the group if you can get it to settle under hard braking. 

dean1484
3/19/18 9:51 p.m.

Ok I will go play with some GT3 cars. Any ones you recommend?  

Argo1
3/20/18 7:49 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

They are all very different. Try a few. Turning off the TC and ABS helps.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/20/18 11:39 a.m.

I've been meaning to play with some GT3 cars for a while now.  As noted it's the most popular online class, but I've been hesitant to jump into lobbies with unfamiliar cars on a track I haven't run before (as I've still only run like 15-20% of them that's quite common).

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/20/18 9:04 p.m.

So I ran some laps this evening with the 911 GT3.  An S licensed driver had a practice room open on the Nurburg GP circuit so I figured I'd give it a shot and see how far off pace I was.  The fast time when I started was a 2:00.080, my first lap with no changes (full fuel load, default TC and ABS settings, etc.) was a 2:03.6.  Not too bad all things considered.  So I started making changes, first to TC and ABS per Argo's recommendation, then some gearing and minor suspension tweaks.  After that I got down to a 2:00.2xx, but apparently other dude had also just been getting started and was down to a 1:57.5  indecision

I never did break 2 minutes, I was having a hard time figuring out what needed to change since the car felt good as it was.  I'd be interested in a room where we can run short races and try different cars, there are a bunch to choose from.

dean1484
3/21/18 6:26 p.m.

So is there a plan for tonight?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/21/18 6:34 p.m.

I am thinking there should be cars... and we should drive them very very fast....

Man, I am hoping we don't have the same connection issues. Stuttering is one thing, but wheels and controllers dropping out?  That is just weird.

BradLTL
3/21/18 6:35 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Around a track

BradLTL
3/21/18 6:37 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

1. Road cars
  2. GT3s
  3. Group A + Group C

Everyone have the Porsche DLC? Might try Leipzig. 

Argo1
3/21/18 10:50 p.m.

I enjoyed the GT3 cars.  The Ferrari goads you into overstepping.  It says "Come on, you can do just a bit more..."  Then...not.

Here is the schedule of the European Blancpain GT3 series.  We have most of the tracks or a reasonable substitute:

https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/calendar

dean1484
3/21/18 11:16 p.m.

Good fun tonight. The bots were frustrating but still fun. The fast road cars are interesting. I liked the 918 but it definitely is a car that I can only drive at 9/10. Spinning tires through 3rd gear is interesting but I have the TC turned off. 

BradLTL
3/22/18 10:29 a.m.

Ok, so based on our testing here's my impression of the groups consensus on the various series possibility:

1. GT3s
  2. Vintage Touring - A
  3. V8 Supercars
  4. Megane
  5. Clio Cup
  6. Road Cars (ABCD)

Not tested:

• Group A
  • Group C

Is that generally on point?  Do we want to test again or just go ahead and select a series?

Argo1
3/22/18 11:03 p.m.

This would be my proposal for the next series:

GRM Blancpain European GT3 Championship

This series would, as closely as possible, mirror the actual 2018 Blancpain GT3 Championship with only minor track substitutions where required.  Comparison against actual lap times would be possible.

Series rules:

Best 10 out of 12 races count towards the championship. Two drops for poor finishes or missed races.

"Buyer's remorse".  Change cars after the first race or at the mid season practice break.

BOP adjustment at mid season based on points standings using the Air Restrictor adjustment (in all GT3 cars).

2nd - 22

3rd - 20

4th - 19 and minus one point for each lower position.

12 AI Cars with BOP pace adjustment at mid season break.  AI cars will take points away from humans.

DNF/ DNS - 0 points.  Network disconnect - 1 position below the lowest finishing human.

License active during races.

The schedule:

3/28 - Final series GT3 car practice.  Track TBD

4/4 - LeMans Bugatti - France - (sub for Paul Ricard)

4/11 - Zolder - Belgium

4/18 - Monza GP - Italy

4/25 - Brands Hatch GP - Great Britain

5/2 - Silverstone GP - Great Britain

5/9 - Brno - Czech Republic - (sub for Paul Ricard)

5/16 - Mid-season break.  BOP adjustments.  Practice for Spa endurance event.

5/23 - Spa 24 hours - Belgium  (this is a one hour race)

5/30 - Algarve - Portugal

6/6 - Red Bull Ring GP - Austria - (sub for Budapest)

6/13 - Hockenheimring GP - Germany

6/20 - Nurburgring GP - Germany

6/27 - Barcelona GP - Spain

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
By0JCwtlq2NAa0xOGQi515lzOVKeO5MVg5YiJP5U5XpXtyQb8TgnneTg8AJZyvw7