1 2 3 4 ... 8
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/17 9:01 p.m.

I'm a bit disappointed that PCars 2 for PS4 will not be released with support for the PS VR headset.  They say they "are working on it."   The Oculus Rift videos for the PC version of PCars 2 look amazing.   Right now I can only use my VR headset on Dirt Rally which is so-so and not head to head racing.  The PC version also supports triple screens at Ultra HD.  I don't believe the PS4 version supports triple screens (not that I would buy two more PS4s).

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/17 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

3 PS4s is probably about the same price as the video card you would need to power the 3x screens or the Rift.

Ok, not quite, but it's closer than you think.

BradLTL
9/14/17 9:59 p.m.

PCars 2 Preview

Hot off the press.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/15/17 7:54 a.m.

Personally, if necessary for cross play, I'd be fine with dropping the resolution for PC owners to 1080p (16:9) max on a single screen, and even dropping the graphics settings down to PS4 levels.

BradLTL said:

In reply to Argo1 :

3 PS4s is probably about the same price as the video card you would need to power the 3x screens or the Rift.

Ok, not quite, but it's closer than you think.

I can play with the Rift or Vive just fine on a GTX 970, so about $220.  The rift/vive are only slightly more pixels than 1080p  (1080 x 1200 x 2).

Triple 4K would probably take a lot more than the cost of 3 PS4s.  3x Ultra HD is 24 million pixels.  The PS4 version is probably 1080p, so 2 million pixels.  I imagine to get that playable you'd probably need multiple 1080ti, titans, etc.  

BradLTL
9/16/17 12:32 p.m.

To whet the appetite a bit, here is my tentative plan for the first 3 series:

1. GT3s in America 

2. Formula Renault GRM Gran Prix

3. Multi class Group C + GTO cars at endurance tracks

I'm also toying with Sunday night Rally cross events (non-championship, just weekly bragging rights).

BradLTL
9/18/17 11:06 a.m.

IGN seems to like it.

I'll get my copy later this week. 

BradLTL
9/21/17 6:07 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/22/17 12:19 p.m.

I like the fact that they describe it as having a steep learning curve.

It might reduce the pool of drivers and possibly sales, but will certainly weed out some of the less desirables.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/22/17 1:01 p.m.

I was hoping to preload this and get a shot at playing this weekend on the ps4, but no joy.

With our internet, if I start the download after SWMBO is done working tomorrow, I "might" get to play by Monday.

BradLTL
9/22/17 8:24 p.m.

Just checked my Amazon order, apparently I won't be getting my pre-ordered game until the 28th. frown

Argo1
9/22/17 10:28 p.m.

Mine is supposed to be an automatic download from the PlayStation store.  I'm not at home to see if it was downloaded.  Doing live research at Laguna Seca....

Argo1
9/22/17 10:32 p.m.
aircooled said:

I like the fact that they describe it as having a steep learning curve.

It might reduce the pool of drivers and possibly sales, but will certainly weed out some of the less desirables.

I can't wait to try it.  It's likely to be similar to PCars 1 which was a tougher learn than GT6.  Driving is harder and the cars react correctly to setup changes.  If they have further improved on that it should be great.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/17 3:13 p.m.

I am waiting for you all to get it and review it. I also am going to have to upgrade my wheel and I may have to get another PS4 so there is going to be significant cash outlay for me to do this.  

I am really excited  for it though. I miss "racing" with the old GRM group. GT6 has all but run its course. I miss the weekly series with 10-15 regulars.  I almost think starting the Sunday races may have actually contributed to is demise.  

BradLTL
9/23/17 3:16 p.m.

I cancelled my pre order. I'm going to pick it up at the store tonight. 

BradLTL
9/24/17 9:37 a.m.

Ok. Picked up a copy at Best Buy, downloaded the 13gb patch and turned 3 laps last night. 

I ran a quick race at COTA in the Ginetta. It's a career starting car on a new track, so probably not the best test. Here's my first thoughts:

• The UI is faster and prettier than the original 
  • The UI has some weird design choices. It can be hard to figure out exactly which option your cursor is on. Some buttons are bigger all the time, others are filled in, others aren't, and none of that has anything to do with what option you are selecting. 
  • I like that when you launch a track, the loading screen shows you the world record and your fastest friend's record for that car and track. 
  • I did not see the online league management bit. Maybe it is a post release patch?
  • Racing at COTA in same spec cars I expected a big mess in turn 1. That didn't happen. I actually moved into the middle lane, and while there was a slight bump, there was not enough contact to even disrupt anyone's line. 
  • Predictably the game sounds great. 
  • I don't have a big sampling of the physics, but the car handled as I would expect. Bad driving and not knowing the track let me test the extremes of traction. I understeered when I went in too hot, oversteered when I gave too much input in the esses. I was able to catch a tank slapper but lost all my momentum and speed doing so. 
  • The replay mode is much improved. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but the ability to move to the right car makes a big difference. 

More thoughts when I get more time with it. 

Initial impressions are good though. 

BradLTL
9/25/17 10:20 a.m.

Some other observations:

• The race engineer and spotter are much improved and a welcome addition 
  • the proximity indicator is also very helpful. It should help to prevent the "I didn't know you were there" scenarios 
  • physics are really good. Braking is hugely important. The sounds really help you understand what your tires are doing. 
  • The AI difficulty seems to be increased. In pc1 they default to a 75, in pc2 they are at 60. They've also added the ability to control aggression as well as speed. 
  • License points are calc'd during single player events. 

I need one of you jokers to get the game so we can run some online tests. 

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
9/25/17 4:01 p.m.

I am assuming you are still PS4ing it?

BradLTL
9/25/17 4:30 p.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Yes

Argo1
9/25/17 10:08 p.m.

Well, I am sidelined for the moment.  PCars2 does not support my Fanatec GT3RS in the PS4 version.  You also cannot just mess with settings until you get it to work.  It has to auto-detect your wheel.  Then it will give you options.  Makes me wonder if that wheel compatibility adapter Air found would work at all with this game.  There is actually a very limited list of wheels that will work with the PS4 version:  Logitech G29, Thrustmaster T80, T150, T300RS, T500RS, and the Fanatech CSL Elite PS4.  Not real happy about having to replace a very good wheel.  The game looks amazing though.  I'm just not a controller driver.  Probably will go with the G29.

Argo1
9/26/17 12:17 a.m.

Amazon has the G29, new, for $269.  That is actually a pretty good price.

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
9/26/17 10:34 a.m.

I didn't even realize it came out yet. May need to snag it on lunch and convince the wife I need to play it tonight. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/26/17 11:48 a.m.

In regards to wheels and PC2 with the Drive Hub adapter.  I have been paying a bit of attention to this and a few things that might be helpful:

- Someone noted that you will need a USB3 cable to get full function

- The paddle shifters not working in the menus seems to be solved by disabling ACL in the PC2 menus.  (some sort of auto clutch feature)

- The PS4 + DriveHub + G27 DOES appear to work with PC2, so that is good news.  

Also found:

---------------------------------

10% off Drive Hub for GT Planet members! Just got the following message from Collective Minds today;

"All of you over at GTPlanet have been so supportive to the Drive Hub cause, we would like to offer a 10% coupon that all your members can take advantage of. The coupon is GTPLANET10 and can be used only on the Collective Minds website, feel free to post it for all to see."

EDIT: The GTPLANET10 code now works on the Cronusmax website as well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/26/17 12:24 p.m.
Argo1 said:

Well, I am sidelined for the moment.  PCars2 does not support my Fanatec GT3RS in the PS4 version.  ...

Argo,

I don't know if this helps (I don't speak Fanatec), but its in regard to Fanatec wheels, PS4, and the Drive Hub:

So I got my Drivehub the other day. Finally had a chance to really try it out last night with some extensive testing on my PS4/FANATEC gear situation. 
I currently own a FANATEC CSW V2.0 wheelbase, BMW GT wheel rim, Formula wheel rim and Clubsport V2 peddles. I have only used this gear on my PS3 and most currently the PS4. The only two games in which this gear has worked natively is F1-2015 and Project Cars on the PS4. With all the new racing games coming out since these two titles, the native support was yanked by the software developers as they were told by Sony to stop putting in the Fanatec SDK into their titles. As many of you know, this kind of sucked if you owned Fanatec gear, escpecially expensive gear. Well, thank goodness for this little Drivehub device!! It works and it works VERY well. First off, if you own a Fanatec CSW 2.0 or even the newer 2.5, do yourself a favor. DO NOT USE THE FANALOGIC MODE (default setting of the Drivehub) if the game supports the new FANATEC CSL ELITE. Switch it to Fanatec native mode. Stop what you are doing and do it now. Keep in mind, the native Fanatec model will only work with F1-2017, Project Cars 2 and hopefully Assetto Corsa soon. Hopefully GT Sport too!! F1 2017 and Project Cars 2 have official Fanatec CSL Elite SDK/Drivers in the game. F1-2016 does not and will not from what is understood. You will have to use FANALOGIC mode if you want to play this game with your Clubsport Base. Moving on...I tried F1 2017 using FANALOGIC mode. I did not like this mode for this title. I just wanted to try it to see what the difference was. And there is a difference! It's way too violent and the forces are way too abrupt. I have never seen my CSW wheelbase shake so violently. I had to change the FFB settings within the game just to make the game more fun to drive. With the right tweaks the FANALOGIC mode will work just fine, but if there's official support for FANATEC wheels, it's best to use FANATEC native mode. Once I did that, the stock game FFB settings were butter smooth and almost perfect for my tastes and what I'm used to, having used this gear in F1 2015. Having said that. I can honestly say the wheel support in F1-2017 is a noticeable improvement over past F1 games. Thanks to the Drivehub, I can now once again enjoy quality gear on the PS4. 

Note: I have the most current Fanatec 299 firmware on my base and the latest firmware on the Drivehub. On other forums some people reported having to go back on the firmware to make the Drivhub work, but I have found that the latest firmware works perfectly.

This appears to show your wheel working ( FANATEC PORSCHE GT3 RS V2 WHEEL + LOGITECH G29 PEDALS + THRUSTMASTER TH8A SHIFTER + PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XH_yX91n1rQ?rel=0

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/26/17 12:44 p.m.

Speaking of wheels, is the menu navigation better using the wheel this time?  It was terrible in PC1.  I keep my steam controller in reach just for getting around a few of the menus.

BradLTL
9/26/17 3:04 p.m.

Ok, I've spent some more time in the game.  There are some bugs, but overall it's really good.  I've driven a few laps in most of the GT3 cars, and it is amazing how each car feels unique.  They all sound amazing: you get the engine noise, the transmission clunks, the tires... but you also get some things that I don't know I've ever heard in a game before.  Things like traction control and anti-lag.  It's amazing the density of sounds when you are driving.

The physics feel really good.  The cars all handle like you would expect, but are all different.  Some of them share some characteristics (such as the behavior of a mid-engine car when hard braking into a hairpin), but all do it in different ways and to different degrees.  It makes you feel like the took the time to model each car and not just use a generic template (I'm looking at you GT6).  I took out a Formula C car, and you can feel the effect of aero on the car.  They've done a really good job with it.

I think for our series it going to be interesting to see what cars each person chooses.  I suspect it isn't going to be as much about find the "it" car, but rather finding the car that suits your driving style the best.  I've been surprised as to what car I'm most comfortable in so far.

Here's another nugget... the GT-R?  It couldn't be any more different from the car in Gran Turismo.  It was the ringer car there, in PC2 it is a handful.  I spun it the first 3 laps I tried to drive it.  It may still prove to be a ringer, but you'll have to earn in it.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DAp6faoW1BSKDNwZIvE6i5LdnA5Xj6DEBRleNZBkkMRByJBiOQTKWT9Cl0GYj16g