10/18/17 11:50 a.m.

I've had better races...

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/17 1:52 p.m.
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/17 11:40 p.m.

Great GRM LIVE broadcast talking about Project Cars 2 with one of the key members of the development team at Slightly Mad Studios.  Replay available on the GRM channel on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8SDulA7jc

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
10/23/17 4:20 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/27/17 11:11 a.m.

I have been reading that PC2 has been having some pretty serious public room connection issues.  Any experiences?

I guess we will have to see, but people getting booted will kill the fun of a league pretty quickly.  I read the room setup is a bit clunky also,  something about having to return to the lobby re-enter or re-start races.

I don't know if the GTS servers are any better then the GT6 servers though.

Argo1
10/27/17 3:22 p.m.

Brad and I haven't had any issues. The room actually allows you to change race settings or even start a different event without booting everyone.

BradLTL
10/27/17 7:35 p.m.

The issues seem to be with public rooms and occasionally hosts that don't have the best intentions towards other drivers ratings. 

We will use private rooms for the series. 

BradLTL
10/29/17 9:27 a.m.

So Spool you in for the series?

Planning on another test session this Wednesday. 

Argo1
10/29/17 9:56 p.m.

Who else has PC2 now?  Getting together for a test this Wednesday would be a good thing.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/1/17 4:23 p.m.
Argo1 said:

Who else has PC2 now?  Getting together for a test this Wednesday would be a good thing.

I'm hooked, but Wednesdays are bad for (hopefully) obvious reasons. Post up some screen names and I'll friend everyone, though (or, I think I will. Is that even a thing in PC2?).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/1/17 4:41 p.m.

OK, I finally jumped in.  Pretty preliminary, but I will post more when I have more observations.  The FIRST thing I did was jump in one of these,

and lap Sonoma Raceway (previously Sears Point).  Wow, good fun.  BTW, I did NOT spin the car in many laps.  Super fun to slide into corners.  Great elevation changes at that course.  Love the track list.  Heck, it's even got classic Spa (kind of like Nurburgring) and classic Monza!

One quick question:  Do GT3 cars really have ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control!?!?  I find that a bit hard to believe.

I am still hosting GT6 on Wednesdays and I still want to get time in on PC2 and GTS (got to do the stupid prelims and build up money).

Argo1
11/1/17 5:18 p.m.

You can set the driving aids to 'real' and cars will have what they actually have or they can be turned off completely.  GT3 has ABS but nothing else in real life.  Glad that you are getting some time in PC2!

BradLTL
11/1/17 7:17 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Argo1 said:

I'm hooked, but Wednesdays are bad for (hopefully) obvious reasons. Post up some screen names and I'll friend everyone, though (or, I think I will. Is that even a thing in PC2?).

I'm open to switching days to Tuesday or Thursday if that works better for more people. 

Argo1
11/1/17 7:20 p.m.

Between the Wednesday GT6 race tonight and a few watching game 7, we may not have anyone tonight.  I would vote for a Tuesday evening series.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/2/17 9:44 a.m.

I would be interested after the holidays

just a bad time of year for me. 

Tuesdays are better  as every other Wednesday and Thursday I have something going on now.

BradLTL
11/2/17 10:11 a.m.

We will move the series to Tuesdays. That seems to work better for everyone (and won't conflict with the other series and JG's internet fame). 

Argo and I messed around with a few different cars last night. While I feel like I'm coming to grips with the GT3 cars and steadily gaining speed, I've got a long way to go for some of the other older cars. 

Ran the Group 5 935 around Sears Point. That takes effort just to not spin and get a clean lap. The turbo comes in like a monster. It's sounds awesome with the whooshes and backfires when coming off throttle. That said, we will need a good bit more practice before something like that would be good for a series. Comparatively GT3s are "easy" to drive. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/2/17 11:39 a.m.

I will not be available for Tuesday races most weeks.

Regarding the GT3 cars:  I did check, and yes, most of them have ABS, TC, SC, which is very strange.  I also saw what must be a bug, in that what aids the cars had would change as I looked at the overview.  At one point the 2002 had SC!  If you go to the details though, the GT3 seem to definitely come with driving aids.  I can't imagine this is actually the case, if not why?  It certainly makes them easier to drive, but I thought the whole point was "driving simulator", if you want driving aids you can turn them on yourself.

Another observation: Autospin:  I had read complaints of unrecoverable spins in the initial release of PC2.  I think they are still there.  In driving some cars (I have not driven a lot) without ABS, if you lock the rear tires, the car goes into a unrecoverable "autospin" that absolutely cannot be recovered from, the car just flips around (seems to be at low speeds).  Even at really low speeds the car acts like it's wildly tail heavy.  One of the causes / solutions seems to be that the brake bias might be set rearward.  I changed it to forward, and that seemed to at least make the spin recoverable.  I will explore further.

What view do you guys use?   The interior view has the best sound but is a bit obstructed, and doesn't really give any sense of speed.  The bumper view appears to be too low and just seems unnatural. The hood view seems OK, but makes it difficult to hear your engine.

BradLTL
11/2/17 11:45 a.m.

I use the cockpit cam but disable the steering wheel. 

Argo1
11/2/17 7:56 p.m.

I only use the cockpit cam as well but adjust the field of vision for the best view.

BradLTL
11/2/17 8:09 p.m.

Yea, set FOV to 85 or 90. Makes a world of difference. 

Also PC2 has a cool “proximity detector” that points arrows to cars near you so you don’t crash into anyone in a blind spot. Also they have a spotter that will talk to you. 

Argo1
11/3/17 12:28 a.m.

The spotter is extremely useful.  He gives you car locations as well as car length gaps to competition.  However, he doesn't tell you when there is a wreck ahead.

BradLTL
11/3/17 7:47 p.m.

I find myself actually enjoying the single player in the game. They put you in cars, tracks and conditions that you usually don’t find in online races. I’ve run the Ginetta Junior, Ginetta GT5, and just moved up to the Mustang GT4. 

The Junior was tricky. A pure momentum car. You almost couldn’t use the brakes. Instead just throw the car into a drift to bleed speed and stomp the gas. 

The GT5 was faster but unstable. Add to it cold British Weather and it was a handful. A race at Silverstone in the rain and Brands Hatch in changing conditions about had me to the point of rage quitting because I kept screwing up the race in the closing laps. Thank goodness for the “Restart Session” option. I can stand to lose, but I can’t stand a stupid screw up. 

Only had a few laps in the GT4. It seems pretty stable compared to the other cars I’ve driven in the career. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/3/17 8:33 p.m.

Gt3 cars have all that stuff in real life, so why wouldn't they have it in the game?

The GT5 Ginetta is about to make me break something.  I’m at the last race, at Brands Hatch, and after qualifying 4th, and only needing to finish 12th or so for the championship, I can’t get this thing around the racetrack!  I noticed in qualifying, the fuel was at 25.  Probably why I only qualified 4th, with the extra weight.  I tried taking it down some for the 12 minute race, and now the car is completely undrivable!  The gauge still reads 25 too.  It’s fine for the first few corners, then it becomes a pushing pig, and snap spins once it scrubs enough speed.  I tried resetting the tune, but no luck.

BradLTL
11/3/17 8:38 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I ended up taking it down to 5 minutes and managed 3rd with a massive tank-slapper in the last corner that cost me 2nd. 

The best I could do on a 20 minute race was 3rd in the last corner with a massive spin into the infield. I quit after watching the whole field drive by. 

Going to try 30 minute races in GT4. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/3/17 8:38 p.m.

A few races I’ve done in the rain have been funky too.  The car will be fine on 75-90% of the track, then on one section, almost have to go 10mph just to keep the car going somewhat straight.  The community event with the R34 Nissan was like this on almost every straight, and the GT5 Ginetta did this to me on the Silverstone Short race, but only on the backstretch.  Perfectly fine everywhere else.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UkLukQVi1o3SdBh6OjTVCZXkIt2MvCNS7MJLtvvuoEOIcNIIJoNl6mL6HJK90QhJ