RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/22/17 2:43 p.m.

Like pirates? Always wanted to sail the seven seas?

Technical alpha

Coming soon for Xbox and pc, rare games is bring sea of thieves. This is the last call for the technical alpha, which will include beta access. 

So if you're bored with your current games or underwhelmed by the sales like I am, check this out, and add me on xbox live. RevRico420

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/22/17 2:57 p.m.

Wow, game graphics have come a long way since Mario Bros.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/23/17 7:44 p.m.

I've signed up. Ac- black flags best part was blowing E36 M3 up with a bigass ship. 

RevRico
12/13/17 1:04 p.m.

I will be posting back this weekend with impressions. I got invited to the technical alpha from this Friday till next Wednesday, so I have something to do when everyone is offline in gta. 

I'm excited, it looks fun. I'm mildly interested in the lack of rpg elements, such as levels and classes. And who doesn't love pirates?

RevRico
12/17/17 2:35 p.m.

After some server side problems yesterday, I wss able to get some time online today. 

First impression: it's pretty. I think I'll get used to the first person camera, but there are times, especially when sailing the ship, that it's almost impossible to see ahead of you. 

Speaking of sailing, it's a much different approach than I've seen in other games, that is particularly tricky solo, but a team that works together could do great. Individual adjustments for sail height and angle that respond to the wind add some realism, and while the turning radii are terrible, it feels real.

The map looks impressive on the board, but I think the slow speed of sailing is used to make it feel bigger than it is. There are still dozens of island to visit and explore, some hiding treasure, some hiding enemies. 

You can tell it's still a Rare game, and that is what sells it for me. From RC racers to battle toads to banjo kazooie and beyond, Rare always delivers, 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/21/17 6:25 a.m.

I did a lot of reading on the forums, and there's some interesting features out there.  Seems that there are 4 player boats that require 4 people to run effectively. Im not sure how that mechanic works, when parties are continually variable, but it's there. There a also reportedly a brig,  used to throw asshats in, basically the pirate version of a vtk and a dunce cap server. Tons of griefing with it (seriously, this is why we can't have nice things) but makes for a cool way to incorporate crowd control. I really hope when the next alpha comes, there's more to the islands, personally. They seemed a bit sparse for what they were. 

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
12/28/17 7:38 p.m.

I like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and I'm a little surprised someone didn't try to capitalize on the popularity a bit sooner. I may have to check this out.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/29/17 8:43 a.m.

It's pretty cool so far. Very limited in scope, but it's still in alpha. Sign up to get in on the next play session. 

RevRico
1/8/18 1:41 p.m.

I don't usually go for game based tie in items, but I might have to get one of these.

Glow in the dark skull, single gold trigger, and that awesome paint job for $75 in February, a month before the game comes out. 

I need another controller for the little one anyway...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/8/18 3:39 p.m.
RevRico said:

I don't usually go for game based tie in items, but I might have to get one of these.

Glow in the dark skull, single gold trigger, and that awesome paint job for $75 in February, a month before the game comes out. 

I need another controller for the little one anyway...

Yeah, I saw it too. So berkeleying cool. I need it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/10/18 11:21 a.m.

it's so...so much better in person. It's translucent purple, and the swirl is on the inside. So good. 

RevRico
3/20/18 1:58 p.m.

And we have launch day.

I played for 30 minutes so far, and... Started, got my initial quests and couldn't do anything with them. Home screen, quit, start over, and they were there. The quest maps don't use the same coordinates as the big map, you have to find the place based on size/layout. 

It was alright I guess. Still kind of a pain sailing solo, didn't run into any other players yet. At least I could fight back against the skeletons this time. 

This will have my attention most nights this week. I'm still not sure if it's worth buying, but as an inclusion with game pass it's worth the $10 to try out. 

And yea, I really like my sea of thieves controller. Much cooler than a regular replacement. 

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
3/21/18 9:21 a.m.

I downloaded yesterday and only got to play for a bit. 

xbox;  Bangarang684 (which i just realized is an uber appropriate gamer tag for a pirate game) 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bCrGnQDS6IyPfuYfLy3U2lJa3JkCX7YbK65rYJtxRTG3LbCl84Q1yqpDJYxXdYkm